Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reccomended Roguelike engine/code?  (Read 9276 times)

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Reccomended Roguelike engine/code?
« on: January 31, 2008, 13:28 »

I'd like to start working on learning to program Roguelikes, but I have no idea what to use. I was planning on using Valkyrie, but from the looks of the project page there isn't enough released yet to make a Roguelike (correct me if I'm wrong) so I was thinking about looking for something else. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Reccomended Roguelike engine/code?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 15:20 »

If you push me, then I'll try to update it ASAP. Igor can tell you that it's really great for making rl's, but currently only the SVN version is worth using.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Chris

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 17:01 »

I would second Igor Savin's opinion.

After getting the SVN version I would recommend getting the source code of berserk as well. Not only does it provide a handy reference for how to use Valkyrie\FreePascal but it also contains a number of usefull routines you might want to...ahem....'borrow'--explosion and the LOS code were of particular use to me.

Also I started out copying the rl tutorial from the old Valkyrie page. Some things need to be changed (the constructors are called Create now, not Init, for instance) but they're not too difficult to do so.

You might also want to look through the Valkyrie discussion board for Kornel's example of how to use the new text UI. It looks quite handy and cool, though I haven't tried it yet, as I had already had programmed (badly) my UI code by the time it came out (and am a couple of updates behind on the version of Valkyrie I'm using anyways)

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:21 »

\I was planning on using Valkyrie, but from the looks of the project page there isn't enough released yet to make a Roguelike\

That depends on how much out-of-the-box functionality you need and how much you are prepared to write yourself (using preexisting backbone). And there are even more wonders to come.

\I would recommend getting the source code of berserk as well\

I second that :). Also, if you check through tracker, you'll see there are plans on updating Berserk! code to reflect new shiny things implemented in SVN Valkyrie... So you might start studying Valk. now and postpone large-scale development till then.

Zeb

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 09:46 »

Well, okay then. Valkyrie it is! :-)

I've got some free time later today, so I'll start working on it then. I don't have any major projects in mind anyway, I am currently just interested in learning the ropes since I spend so much time playing roguelikes.

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 09:43 »

Well, okay then. Valkyrie it is! :-)

I've got some free time later today, so I'll start working on it then. I don't have any major projects in mind anyway, I am currently just interested in learning the ropes since I spend so much time playing roguelikes.

Care to post some status updates on how everything's going sometime later?
Pages: [1]