Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
Strafe
« on: February 04, 2008, 16:35 »

Talking of evasion, how about way similar to the way, how it was implemented in DrashRL? In it if you are in "Normal" tactic(not "Brave"), was attacked, have vacant place in any square near to you, and successfully have passed evasion roll, you fully avoid damage and move to that square. Maybe use it as strafe in DooMRL, trait, with which you have additional dodge chance(better than from hellrunner) only to ranged attacks, and only if you have vacant slot in direction that is perpendicularly to the direction, from where that shot came. If it was successed, you move to that vacant slot(random if there are two of them).
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Strafe
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09 »

I think you should have better dodge chance by default if you've spent the last turn moving in another square. More so if running (less if tired). Because, y'know, it's harder to hit a moving target.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 03:30 »

IIRC there is supposed to be a dodge bonus for moving Potman - at least thats what I remember from early, early times...
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:24 »

I think you should have better dodge chance by default if you've spent the last turn moving in another square. More so if running (less if tired). Because, y'know, it's harder to hit a moving target.

You have better chance to dodge now if you spent last turn moving perpendicularly, or diagonally to the direction of the attack. And you have increased dodge chance when you are running. But what i propose is passive trait because there was such tactic in original DooM: you stand still, but when something is flying at you(fireball/rocket/Lost Soul), you move to the side enough to avoid it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:22 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 06:39 »

You have beter chance to dodge now if you spent last turn moving perpendicularly, or diagonally to the direction of the attack. And you have increased dodge chance when you are running.

Huh?

A new question: Why has no one ever told me this?!

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 07:58 »

What happens if you dodge two fireballs? Or what happens if dodge one and another misses, then you move in the way of the fireball that missed?

Sounds like it would be a pain to make fool-proof...

And to be honest if strafe had to be brought in to DooMRL I would prefer if it allowed you to move and shoot at the same time. Like you select a target and then select to move and so on. 
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40 »

hmmm... that would be easy to implement if the whole game would be veryyyy slllllooooowwwww..... (in turns) I mean a situation when the fired bullet would take 2-3 turns to reach the target. That way you could see the flying projectile and move away before it hits you. Not much of a rouguelike way, but it would work ;-). (<evil>maybe a bullet time mode?</evil>)

Cora

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 15:32 »

Very hard to implement, or if implemented could do a lot of nasty things. Example: you evade a fireball from imp and see... arachnotron... arachnotron gets 1000 energy and... you die

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 23:59 »

Example: you move away from an imps fireball, and see an arachnotron, wich starts shootin, you shoot also, moving all the time... you evade the imps fireball and the arachnotrons shots, while firing at the arachnotron, which is destroyed, after that, your circle around the imp and kill him also eventually.

the movement speed should be modified by some attributes, and this way you would see the shots flying faster or slower (right now it's as if you were very slow, so the bullets fly in 1 turn to their targets)

this way it would be more fps-style (would be easier to illustrate if you imagine the game in real time, with an automatic turn cycle), but not much roguelike style (as I said before)

Cora

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 08:34 »

I have another solution:
maybe player could select before move where to strafe - you press CTRL+right(left) and if enemy does shot - you evade to that direction.

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 13:20 »

Sounds cumbersome.

DoomRL treats movement in a somewhat abstract fashion, as do most roguelikes.  The PC isn't always simply walking around, he's running, strafing, ducking and rolling. 

Strafe made sense in the original Doom, but in the original Doom you couldn't see what was behind you either.

I'm sure someone mentioned bullet time before, and Kornel said no to it. 

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 05:33 »

You can strafe in Doom too and it can really save your life (Imagine having to fight against Cybie without strafing, OMG!). I say yes! =)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]