Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 07:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Was the 'tactic' feature just changed into a sprint ?  (Read 4697 times)

Balgias

• Private
    • View Profile
Was the 'tactic' feature just changed into a sprint ?
« on: February 13, 2008, 18:12 »

Whenever I try to change my tactic from cautious now it puts me into a 'running' mode that after a few turns makes me tired and just stays tired for a many many turns.

Is this some new change or is there something wrong with my game ?

The Buttery Lobster

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Was the 'tactic' feature just changed into a sprint ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 19:00 »

its a new change, and I'll be honest, I don't really like it. I understand the need for a tired feature, but because it almost never (completely never?) resets in the same level unless you heal, it's rarely ever useful, and the tradeoff of tired makes it too risky to use effectively, imo, and the benefit which only lasts a few seconds, is too short. Frankly, I'd like to see a return to the old system, or perhaps some sort of hybrid system.

For example, the old system with a 'stamina' gauge (which could be hidden, or listed, it doesn't matter.) where the aggressive tactic reduced your stamina and the cautious one increased it, and after stamina dropped a certain amount you were tired which does whatever the current system does or adds that effect to the cautious/aggressive/cowardly status.

no i dont remember what the old status names were.

I guess the current system has a stamina gauge, i dont know, i've never seen my tired status recover on it's own. So if it DOES have such a system, then the recovery is far far too low.

commodorejohn

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 20:26 »

Yeah, I miss the old tactics settings too...

Balgias

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 20:34 »

yeah seriously, it's like trying to play the game WITHOUT the tactics system entirely.

Rook

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 00:27 »

I'm not even totally sure what the running/tired system does myself. I do know that tired mode won't go away over time, but it WILL go away from using medkits/health globes/berserk packs, and by going down stairs (all of these will, strangely, take you out of running mode, too). I imagine Invulnerability globes/Megaspheres do the same thing, too. Honestly, though, coward mode helped a LOT for getting away from swarms, and for dodging to get into chainsaw range for those AoB games.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 00:31 by Rook »

kranach

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:19 »

I like this run tactic system more than old one. Previous was quite stupid, most time having coward on, and switching it to aggresive to hope that it make you kill something faster. Now you have just small bonus, you turn  running on when you need (and can) and it is really helpful. (Stupid that it costs time to switch). However I think there should be also another way to return from tired state, maybe "resting"  which would be waiting in one place certain amount of time.
Lo! I have found the Holy Grail Of Firepower!
Mine eyes can but weep as they bear witness to  the majesty... The BFG 9000!
My cause is just.. my will is strong.. and my gun is very very large

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 08:51 »

Here is quote from updated manual:

By default your tactic is "cautious". This tactic gives no benefits, but either gives no disadvantages. If you press "Tab" once, it will change to "running" (note that changing tactics takes some in-game time). In this tactic you have increased move, dodge, and defence bonus, but have less chance to hit). After some time spent running(or after pressing "Tab" again), doomguy will get "tired". Tired have no negative or positive effects (like "cautious"), but while "tired", you cannot change your tactic to anything. You can restore to "cautious" by leveling up, or by using health-restoring powerup, or med-pack, or by descending to next level. Because running is limited in this way try to not waste it. Also not running on a level and "saving" it for the next will not work so you should not try to "horde" them either.

"Tired" have only one disadvantage: you cannot change to any other tactic, that's all.

About "small" bonus of running, here is it's modifiers(Kornel himself told them):

Runnning:
  Dodge bonus +20%
  Move speed +30%
  Activation 0.1s
  Fire toHit -2
  Fire defense +4
  Melee damage /2
  Melee defense +4

Not so "small" bonus and for not so little time(enough to retreat from something or approach something). Helps VERY frequently if used cleverly.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

kranach

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 01:56 »

Helps VERY frequently if used cleverly.

yep. This is what I said- "small" bonus which is really helpful. (ok, didn't bother to use caps typing really :P
Anyway good to know the details, they were not in 0.989 manual
Lo! I have found the Holy Grail Of Firepower!
Mine eyes can but weep as they bear witness to  the majesty... The BFG 9000!
My cause is just.. my will is strong.. and my gun is very very large
Pages: [1]