Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 04:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rewarding persistent players.  (Read 2495 times)

Papachabre

• Private FC
  • I save like Jesus.
    • View Profile
Rewarding persistent players.
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:09 »

I really like the badges/medals idea.  It would certainly give people a reason to keep playing.  But what about rewarding persistent players with something they can use like an increased chance to find uniques or (even better) a wider available selection of uniques when they achieve higher ranks and/or certain badges?  In other words maybe certain uniques could be "unlocked" by playing the game more and more.

Also, this could be a bit more of a long shot, but how about adding a type of currency that you could use to purchase items or additional traits at the start of the game and you accumulate it by playing the game over and over?  The currency you earn in each game could be based on your score or your achievements in the game.  For example, maybe clearing out certain special levels result in extra earned currency.  I think this would increase replayability for those who like the game but are bad at it (me) because the more you play the better your chance of winning.  Of course, in order not to tip the balance too favorably toward the player, care would need to be taken so that the benefits are not compounded or perpetual, but rather they could be utilized every now and again.

Just tossing it up there to see if it sticks.  Any comments?

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Rewarding persistent players.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:32 »

Unlockables would be an awesome idea. Hey, what about implementing cheats, but you can't use them unless you've unlocked them? And when you use cheats, you won't get any score and every value in a Mortem will be substituted by 'CHEAT!', also create a list in the mortem what cheats you used, exactly.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 19:26 »

Good stuff - I like just about anything that includes evolving game dynamics for persistance. This includes unlockables, the medals, etc. The balancing act is always the hardest part...
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:24 »

I like the idea of building up currency and being able to buy items at the start of the game.

One problem that often frustrates me is starting up a Marksmanship game and then finding the Butcher's Knife, or finding lots of great advanced weapons in a AoB challenge.

It would be very nice to be able to start the game with an advanced chaingun (if I just really wanted to play a chaingun game for example) or with an advanced double shotgun.

Or even buying the guarantee that a certain weapon would be generated before a certain level. So I don't start with an advanced double shotgun, but I knew that I would get one before level 10. That way I could play a Shottyman path game without the fear that I would never have a good weapon generated.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]
Pages: [1]