• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Medals
« on: March 04, 2008, 16:16 »

This thread is for the medal specific ideas discussed in the other thread.

Here are a few concepts so please comment. The names are in keeping with the Doom/Space/Mars theme.

Killing Cybie in consecutive games:
Phobos Cross - 2 consecutive games
Deimos Cross – 5 consecutive games

% kill situations:
Shadow Cluster - Winning the game with less than 10% kills
Xenophobe Shield – Winning the game with 100% kills
UAC Star (bronze cluster) – 20 consecutive levels @ 100% (exclude special/PA/HF levels and level 1)
UAC Star (silver cluster) – 40 consecutive levels @ 100% (exclude same)
UAC Star (gold cluster) – 60 consecutive levels @ 100% (exclude same)
UAC Star (diamond cluster) – 100 consecutive levels @ 100% (exclude same)

Consecutive kills without taking damage:
Legion of Mars (2nd class) – 25 kills without taking damage
Legion of Mars (1st class) – 50 kills without taking damage
Legion of Mars (with valor) – 100 kills without taking damage

Killing multiple enemies in one turn*:
Eye of Sol – 5 enemies
Harbinger Cross – 10 enemies

*Awards are not cumulative…if you kill 10 in one turn, you don’t get the award for 5.

Speed:
UAC Commendation Medal – Win with less than 20,000 turns
Lightfoot Badge – Finishing a level in 10 turns or less

Special Situations:

Blood Fist Ribbon - Kill 100 enemies in Melee in one game
MacGyver Badge– using 15 modifications in one game. 
Demolition Badge – Destroying 750 sections of wall in one game
Gambler’s Shield – Pulling 20 different levers in a game
Scout’s Arrow – Visiting 6 special levels in one game (no win against Cybie necessary)
Aurora Medallion – Finding 3 uniques in a game (possible?)
Tyr’s Shield – Going Berserk 25 times in one game
Bravery Medal – Never putting on armor or boots in a game (must reach a hell level)
Green Sun Medal – Taking 300 HPS worth of damage in lava or toxic pools in one game
Twilight Heart – Reaching 1 HP on a particular level and SURVIVING to the next level
UAC Achievement Medal – Finishing a level with 100% kills AND not taking any damage (not level 1)
UAV Longevity Medal – Awarded for every 1000 levels finished

Kills types per game (Disabled for Ao100):
I was toying with the idea of titles (e.g. Spider-Slayer), rather than a medal..but its all the same.

Order of Arachnae – 50 arachnatrons in one game.
Order of Cerberus – Killing 25 Mancubi in one game
Order of Hel – Killing 10 Arch-Viles in one game

Bad medals:
Golden Safety Pin - Blowing yourself up with a barrel (after reaching at least character level 6?)
Black Hole Sun (haha) – Destroying a Unique

Add, subtract, delete, rename at will. The idea was to have another page on the player file that tracks all the medals awarded. This could probably be tied in to more unlockables as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 16:21 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Medals
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 17:39 »

On Ao100 yes, on normal games - not sure, maaaby if you are very lucky.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:42 »

It is possible to find even 23 on a normal game ;]
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05 »

That lightfoot badge thingy will be just a matter of luck with the random map seeder. Very nice ideas!
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 13:04 »

It is possible to find even 23 on a normal game ;]

LOL, I think the chance that this happens is even smaller than getting a royal flush in poker =) (which is only 0,00015%, Wikipedia)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 14:31 »

That lightfoot badge thingy will be just a matter of luck with the random map seeder. Very nice ideas!

True! You have to decide between getting a badge and giving up a level's worth of XP, items, or more medals. What would you do if you also saw a "You sense something really valuable here...", but the stairs down with within sight. Haha
[22/13/9/2/0]

Solarn

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:04 »

On Ao100 yes, on normal games - not sure, maaaby if you are very lucky.
Quite possible, but they will most likely suck. Like a Minigun, Nuclear Plasma Rifle and Butcher's Cleaver in Angel of Marksmanship. (WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME DOOMRL? WHY?)

dimi1205

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 13:17 »

I'm voting for medals. Very nice idea. Once I have found four uniques in one game. Its posible. Two of them was Butchers, one Rail Gun, one Gothic Boots.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58 »

I'm voting for medals. Very nice idea. Once I have found four uniques in one game. Its posible. Two of them was Butchers, one Rail Gun, one Gothic Boots.

Two of the same unique shouldn't be possible - makes the name a bit redundant, for one thing.

Daqin

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 03:10 »

Actually I think medals should be awarded to character, not to a player. I find it little bit strange. You play a character, not a player, is that right? So how can player get medals for what characters did? It is kinda like creating other character who is player-who-controls-characters. Little mess.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 13:38 »

Actually I think medals should be awarded to character, not to a player. I find it little bit strange. You play a character, not a player, is that right? So how can player get medals for what characters did? It is kinda like creating other character who is player-who-controls-characters. Little mess.

That's an interesting perspective - I had always thought about it like movies or theatre. Actors play characters on the stage/screen and the strength of the character determines awards...and the awards are given to the actors who end up paying many different characters over time.

It's more sematics in a game like Doom RL though. So long as its possible to win something at the end of a game.
[22/13/9/2/0]

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 14:25 »

The ranking already completely breaks your way of thinking.

Daqin

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 01:37 »

That's an interesting perspective - I had always thought about it like movies or theatre. Actors play characters on the stage/screen and the strength of the character determines awards...and the awards are given to the actors who end up paying many different characters over time.

Yeah, this may go like this. However, being actor is something you do for gain, your job actually, so getting awards increases potential income and is welcome. In player case, you rather don't play for gain. And if actor played out of passion, he/she wouldn't be interested in awards, IMO.

The ranking already completely breaks your way of thinking.

I don't think so. Ranking is rather the way of removing restrictions placed on the game, so you are made to play the game to see other ways of playing later on. Medals are different thing. Do players need medals?

Anyway, awards are tricky thing. For example: you may give me money in thanksgiving for what I've done. I, in act of gratefulness, will grant you some special rank or medal. Then, how ungrateful and rude is if I take the award away from you because you didn't give me more.. ?

Xarx

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 17:28 »

The game I just played I found Baron and gothic armour with the trigun. So it is possible to do it.

I would love this addition, The only question is, Will the medals be a one of a kind acheivment thing or can you earn multiples of the same medal?

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 15:47 »

I'll have to side with Daqin on this one (LOL)...
The first thing that comes to my mind is: THIS IS NOT A CONSOLE GAME. Seriously - all unlockables, medals, badges, achievements, etc tend to annoy me as a perfectionist and as a player.

* It's like Pokemon - you want to have them ALL... which leads to hours upon hours of playing mindlessly just to add another achievement to the list. You don't have fun playing a normal game, you limit yourself to ridiculous rules and end up confused having reached another goal (you got the achievement you started the game for... Might as well quit, huh ?) - like "taking 300 HPS worth of damage in lava or toxic pools in one game".

* What FOR ? If achievements were for useful things to do in a game - you would get them anyway and the "fun" would be over too soon. Namely - after a few games. Guess what - that's why they're usually:
   -> for absurd and/or suicidal behaviour
   -> for taking a specific approach and taking something to the extreme
Both kinds force you to make separate games just to get them. Short and/or tedious games with a purpose so narrowed that you hardly can do anything else.

* Keeping you from accessing all of the content... That's just mean, most of the time.

* What worst about all of this ? Losing that progress in any way - usually with rest of the data from the hard drive but it's not the only way... Also - inability to take the progress with you or the irritating file swapping or the imperative of keeping the game on a pendrive.

Yeah - three things come to mind in analogy. Game modes, the highscore and the player profile.

The game modes are different because they just change the rules of the game without adding any goals. They narrow your options but not as much as a single achievement would.

The highscore is just a way of viewing what you've done. It does not require anything of you. Neither does it have an upper limit. If you want to do better - you're the only person to tell you HOW much better do you want to play.

The profile is what bothers me the most... Yet - while it's kept simple enough and the titles are as linear and make as much sense as as they do now - it's just a matter of playing normal games until you've learnt and did enough.
Pages: [1]