Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Doom Quest - A new online graphical Doom RPG in JavaScript  (Read 12164 times)

Eikon

• Private FC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Eiksoft.com

Hi,
I am attempting to write a Doom game in nothing but JavaScript/HTML/CSS and I thought the community here would get a kick out of seeing it. The current version is available from:

http://www.eiksoft.com/Doom_Quest/doomquest.htm
(will be updated daily)

Internet explorer is recommended, though it will work in Firefox with some minor layout differences. You may need to give the site permission to use javascript. There should be sound and music working too, as long as you have a player installed to handle embedded media like quicktime.

I am looking for ideas on new gameplay elements, inventory items, basically any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for testing!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 00:40 by Eikon »

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Doom Quest - A new online graphical Doom RPG in JavaScript
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:42 »

So far it's nice, but there's alot to work on. Keep on truckin'!

1) It actually worked better in Firefox for me, because for some reason IE makes the stat fields have little arrow push buttons in them that are clearly not supposed to be there. Also the sound was much quieter, which is weird.

2) It'll be nice when you have enough locations scripted that you can actually move in all four directions.

3) You should really do something about the end. I realize there's going to be more, but at the end of your little demo, something should still happen other than crazy bugged-out transportation to the start of the map.

4) Make sure not to show any items that can't be picked up, such as the potions and the shard in the first room.

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 10:44 »

it's nice, but you really should make it work good in browsers that respect the web standards instead of ie ;-P

tried in opera 9.50 beta
- the fire button doesn't work and the enemies don't do damage
- the north/south/east/west movement is somewhat confusing since the labels are not changing while turning. maybe you should change that to forwrd?backward/left/right?
- how do you open the door? :-P

Eikon

• Private FC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Eiksoft.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55 »

There is a new version that completely replaces the sound engine with a flash based player. This means that there are no more embedded objects except for music, thus no long loading time.

1) It actually worked better in Firefox for me, because for some reason IE makes the stat fields have little arrow push buttons in them that are clearly not supposed to be there. Also the sound was much quieter, which is weird.

I haven't noticed the quieter sounds issue, but the new version removes the scroll bars from the textareas in IE.

3) You should really do something about the end. I realize there's going to be more, but at the end of your little demo, something should still happen other than crazy bugged-out transportation to the start of the map.

I should have mentioned that this isn't even really a demo, just a link to the current version in progress. There will be bugs and the rest as work continues.

4) Make sure not to show any items that can't be picked up, such as the potions and the shard in the first room.

I am thinking of having potions and shards in as random findings when you move to a new screen, except they give +5% instead of +%1 or whatever they did originally.

it's nice, but you really should make it work good in browsers that respect the web standards instead of ie ;-P
Opera will never be supported, it really isn't worth trying it in anything but Mozilla/IE. To open doors, just hit north and it will go through with a door open sound. I will revisit the N/S/E/W input.

Thanks for the input so far, I will try to map out more of the first level soon. There will also be some kind of 'search' button that will find hidden doors like the one that leads to the armor in the acid pool.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 12:58 by Eikon »

zaimoni

• Greater Elder
  • Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:50 »

If you're careful with the JavaScript, you could get both Opera and Safari for free by supporting Mozilla.

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 13:30 »

version 0.155 works correctly in Opera
Pages: [1]