Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tips for AoB?  (Read 6630 times)

cosmonk

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Tips for AoB?
« on: March 07, 2008, 11:49 »

I've seen that alot of people have been able to complete Angel of Berserk, but I can't even get to level 15 of it to go up a rank. I seem to get killed mostly in the early levels by former human sergeants and imps, and have only once made it to the chained court, which made things easy for a while until something else killed me. I think it was another former human sergeant. So, what am I doing wrong? Should I just avoid combat and try to get to the exit ASAP? Or should I try to lure guys closer in? Luring doesnt seem to work actually. Most monsters will just hang out in the same general spot, or if there's a lever, will not move from that.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for AoB?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 14:15 »

Here are my general strategy tips for AoB:

1. Use the luring technique to kill former humans, hell knights, and barons.
Carry around 5 pistols with you for this purpose. If you know some of the above are on the other side of a doorway, drop a pistol in front of the door, move to the side one square (so you will be outside of their vision when the door opens) and open the door. Wait until they come to fetch the pistol and stab them repeatedly.
If you find one of the above mentioned enemies in the open, drop a pistol where you are. Move backwards towards a doorway, dropping pistols as needed to continue the trail. Wait on the other side of the doorway until they show up and then stab them repeatedly.
It takes a little experience to figure out exactly how the enemy movement and vision works and there are some quirks with it, but it is generally straight forward.

2. Avoid death until you get the chainsaw. This means avoiding demons at almost all costs. Also avoid imps, and rooms with levers unless you can get them in close range.

3. For trait path, do Brute->Brute->Berserker->Berserker->Berserker.
Maxing berserker is very important. When you are berserk, your movement bonus allows you to close with enemies very quickly. After that, do Hellrunner, Ironman, more Brute, etc however you feel like. Usually I will do 1 level of Ironman first just to increase my survivability.

4. Don't take chances or get cocky when you get the chainsaw.
Even after you get the chainsaw, the game is hard. Continue to play it safe.

5. Use the running tactic to get places quicker. This can be for getting to a globe, getting away from an enemy (outrunning a demon), running to the stairs, etc. Running is your friend. Globes and medi-packs reset your status to cautious from tired, allowing you to run again.

6. Plan on dying A LOT.
No way around it. It takes a combination of good strategy and some good luck in level layout, medi-packs, globe placement, etc.

Hopefully this is helpful. With some practice you should start to see the chainsaw more and more often. Then eventually you will get a couple games where the stars are aligned and you survive to the Unholy Cathedral. Then the game becomes extremely fun. :)
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

cosmonk

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 18:39 »

Thanks, the tips for luring helped alot. I didn't realize former humans would just go for weapons instead of shooting, but that seems to be the case. I still have trouble getting around imps, and those are now the most frequent cause of death. I am getting farther more often, and have gotten to the chainsaw a couple of times now. But I keep dying. At some point luck will be on my side!

tinyrodent

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 14:50 »

Finally beat AoB, thanks for the tips. Probably could not have done it without the Necroarmor.

Base chance to hit is only 50%!! That's terrible. Sometimes with bad luck it might take 4 attacks or more to even hit a monster never mind kill it.

One level of Eagle Eye improves base to-hit chance to 74%. That's like 3 attacks in 4 will hit instead of only 2 attacks in 4. Two levels of Eagle Eye improves the chance to 91%.

When Running, base accuracy drops to 26%!!! If running, consider switching to Tired mode when you are ready to fight.
Arch-Vile Major

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:54 »

That is a good tip about taking Eagle Eye. The Chainsaw does have awful accuracy. At least one level in EE is probably a really good investment.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

cosmonk

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 13:25 »

I will try the EE suggestion next time. I still haven't made it past level 10 or so in AoB, even with the chainsaw. I just have bad luck and wind up getting ambushed or something.

Just outta curiosity, how helpful is Hellrunner really?

tinyrodent

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 15:30 »

In my one successful attempt, I didn't choose any Hellrunner until level 8. My first trait was Tough As Nails, after that followed the advice of Bru-Bru-Ber-Ber-Ber.

I don't find the speed of one level of Hellrunner very noticeable. But when you max HR for Angel of Pacifism challenge then it's hilarious how much faster you can run.

Here is another tip for melee fighting. I find this most useful for Demons and Lost Souls. Both creatures move faster than you (assuming you are not running, and no Hellrunner). So if you are near, and step away from one, it will chase and catch up. On that turn, when the creature is right next to you, attack. If you kill it, the creature never had any chance to hit.

Compare with if you run straight to the creature, more often it will get to attack first after you moved.

Hope that made sense. :)
Arch-Vile Major

Irbis

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 13:08 »

*Irbis cast "Resuraction" spell on topic*
so hows the build for AoB/Melee game now as the berzerk is limited to only one level? :3

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 13:44 »

Imho it's Bru->Bru->EE->Ber->Bru->HR->HR->HR->TaN->TaN->TaN

Note that Berserk should be picked after you get chainsaw(or before if you know that you will pick it up soon), before that moment, when you have only Combat Knife, it's useless due to the damage-relevant system of triggering berserk, it just won't trigger if you are using knife.

BTW, here can be found video guide of AoB.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Irbis

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:21 »

Thank you very much Blade =] i would also add two things:
1st. this game rox. simple as it is. its been YEARS when any game sucked me in that much and refused to let me away. last time its been 14years ago with Black Crypt on amiga 500. i dont know if WW2 had more dead people then i died in doomRL but i just cant stop playing =D
2nd. ive been very sceptic about the "melee style" in doomRL as i die so fast that i found it more frustrating then challanging but to unlock Ao100 i need AoB done so i focused, scout around the forum and made it somehow. and i discovered how much fun the melee style can give! and so i finaly can play Ao100 challange and so is my question for it: anybody ever tryd doing AoT 100% melee? for AoB its simple as you need to get chainsaw asap and then "Yellow Stick" (;)) and the rest is easy. but how things are for Ao100? are special level included in this challange so chainsaw/YS can be found normaly or is it pure luck? any tips?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:30 by Irbis »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 16:03 »

2nd. ive been very sceptic about the "melee style" in doomRL as i die so fast that i found it more frustrating then challanging but to unlock Ao100 i need AoB done so i focused, scout around the forum and made it somehow. and i discovered how much fun the melee style can give! and so i finaly can play Ao100 challange and so is my question for it: anybody ever tryd doing AoT 100% melee? for AoB its simple as you need to get chainsaw asap and then "Yellow Stick" (;)) and the rest is easy. but how things are for Ao100? are special level included in this challange so chainsaw/YS can be found normaly or is it pure luck? any tips?

First, about Ao100 melee - i have done game, where i firstly raised skills for chaingun up to the level where i had almost nothing to worry about(clvl 11, or something like that), and after that started to raise melee skills looking forward to find Dragonslayer to try to pick it up. I actually found it on level 32, or something like that, managed to pick it up, and after that started melee massacre. It's a 100% game, but not pure melee.

About pure 100% melee Ao100 game - try doing 100% AoB UV game first, it's pretty hard, even counting that there are Chainsaw and LS. Now imagine game where you can't kill anyone because you have only knife, and untill you find Butcher's Knife, or Dragonslayer(and you also need to know how to pick it)), you can only run from everything that is bigger than imp. Rumors says that chance of appearance of chainsaw, or BFG900 exists(maybe LS too), but only on later levels. So, try to survive till level 50 with only knife, and this i will call A DAMN VERY COOL GAME.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Irbis

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13 »

bout pure 100% melee Ao100 game - try doing 100% AoB UV game first, it's pretty hard, even counting that there are Chainsaw and LS. Now imagine game where you can't kill anyone because you have only knife, and untill you find Butcher's Knife, or Dragonslayer(and you also need to know how to pick it)), you can only run from everything that is bigger than imp. Rumors says that chance of appearance of chainsaw, or BFG900 exists(maybe LS too), but only on later levels. So, try to survive till level 50 with only knife, and this i will call A DAMN VERY COOL GAME.)
i did AoB on UV and yes damn hard. but you can plan things up. then again there not many sidewalks you can take: run like hell behind you to chainsaw->do the same to LS ->kill CD. in Ao100 things are crazy cuz you simple cant preseen whats going next and its strongly based on luck. thats why i am asking =]
yesterday i had tryd the 100% melee Ao100 and i must say its imposible for me =\
wish Kornel could add more goodis for melee player.

sidenote: Nightmare is broken. its nearly unplayeble and not because it is sooo hard but its just ridiculose. like Morgue but on every single level. it could be bareble if for killing raised and spawned mobs xp would grow.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:21 by Irbis »

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 09:58 »

sidenote: Nightmare is broken. its nearly unplayeble and not because it is sooo hard but its just ridiculose. like Morgue but on every single level. it could be bareble if for killing raised and spawned mobs xp would grow.
Off-topic goodness:

I think I remember Kornel saying this is as it should be. Ultra-Violence is for super-players to complete, Nightmare is for super-players to have “a good run”. i.e. Nightmare is only broken if anyone can finish it.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.
Pages: [1]