Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 13:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First person graphic mode  (Read 6751 times)

Ihurah Ayimuzus

• Private
    • View Profile
First person graphic mode
« on: March 17, 2008, 04:11 »

Viewing the grid-based level in the first person perspective with textures and everything so it would look just like Doom would

1. be possible
2. be downright awesome

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: First person graphic mode
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:31 »

1. be possible
No. Do you know what a roguelike is? This would basically require a completely separate and much more complex shell program. There is nobody anywhere who wants to do that.
2. be downright awesome
No. Do you know what a roguelike is? Half the point is the anachronism of text mode. If you want to play DOOM with graphics then play DOOM, fool. It's been open-source for a few years now, which means you can basically play it on almost any computer regardless of type or newness and even for free if you find somebody who's faked up the content or just have the lack of givin' a shit necessary to steal the original stuff.

Conker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40 »

If you want to play DOOM with graphics then play DOOM, fool.

Beat me to it.

If you want a grid-based game with a first person perspective, textures, and good gameplay, play Might and Magic I-V/World of Xeen.

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:03 »

There is nobody anywhere who wants to do that. (...) Half the point is the anachronism of text mode.

Never say never. There are some seriously disturbed minds around, after all.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 18:11 »

Alright, the quote is so weird so I'm just answering to this :

No. Do you know what a roguelike is? Half the point is the anachronism of text mode.

Thats closed minded, hella closed minded. Although I disagree with a "first person mode", waste of time and it ruins the overhead feels, you are just closed to the evolution of such a project just because its a RL. Its not because its made of text and was supposed to that this shouldn't change.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 19:02 »

Actually, it is. That's a roguelike, guy. There are some with graphics in them yes, but they'd never be first-person. Even isometric is rather sketchy. One of the defining elements of a roguelike is that it's low tech. All the flash is in the mechanics.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 22:37 »

Didn't someone develop a first person IVAN fork? Also you are forgetting that there are many FP dungeon crawls..I remember Dungeons of the Unforgiven. Man, that was so long ago :P

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:31 »

Roguelikes are a subset of dungeon crawls, not the other way around. They're made the way they are because they're meant to be evocative of a specific era of gaming and the genre it spawned.

Khashishi

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 13:22 »

this sounds totally tight! we could have DooMRL FPS.

then someone could make DoomRL FPS RL!

it would be like that celestial awesomeness that is street fighter: the movie: the videogame

/sarcasm

ianpwilliams

• Backer
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 16:10 »

There is a game for mobile phones called Doom RPG which isn't random, but it is first person and turn based, and it works really well.  And of course there is Slige for playing randomly generated real time first person Doom.

I can understand that it wouldn't be a roguelike if someone did do it, but I'd like to see first person turn based random Doom.   It gives the game a nice element of strategy while still keeping the quality that is Doom.

I'd also like to see DoomRL on mobile phones but I'm sure it'll never happen :P

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 15:04 »

I'd also like to see DoomRL on mobile phones but I'm sure it'll never happen :P

Well, most mobiles have a Flashplayer nowadays. If you have Flash CS3 you just have to make a flash version of it. Theoretically I should be able to do it, because I have the required software for it, but I'm afraid that my knowledge about Actionscript is a little too low for it. But if anybody out here has Flash CS3 AND enough knowlegde to do it, then perhaps a mobile version should come out after all. I just wanna say it's not impossible to create it.

100'th post BTW. I'm a demon now. Buhaha!
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Star Weaver

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 15:36 »

I can understand that it wouldn't be a roguelike if someone did do it, but I'd like to see first person turn based random Doom.   It gives the game a nice element of strategy while still keeping the quality that is Doom.

Well, I've seen Dungeon Hack and Diablo classed as roguelikes or roguelikeishes, so that's not that far off.

But how would you do angled targetting? ^_^ It'd probably best be handled using an actual rotatable 3d view of a tiled landscape.

I've always sort of wanted a roguelike with graphics that are like a view of a board-game rpg with figurines on :D. My some-aeon project might do somthing like that ...

ianpwilliams

• Backer
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 16:18 »

Me and my brothers play Doom the board game quite a lot.  It's an excellent game once you have the difficulty level right.  Also, one person invented solo "rules" for it, and another created a computer program which generates random scenarios, so I'll be having a go at solo random doom board game this summer :>
Pages: [1]