Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Proposed Feature - locked doors  (Read 7875 times)

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Proposed Feature - locked doors
« on: October 24, 2005, 17:15 »

This one comes from locked door generation algorithm I was thinking about for Carceri, but what the hell - it could be used anywhere.

How it works:

1) Random map generator creates new room.

2) If room has 1 exit, then continue, else stop_check_locked.

3) If room has no stairs (maybe except for bonus ones) then continue, else stop.

4) If this is the last room to be generated, then stop, else continue (otherwise you won't be able to place keycard; I don't know if it's possible to return to previously created ones in order to do so, since you'll have to somehow check, if they are locked or not, and keycards should either be never locked, or locked in sequence, that is possible to follow)

...maybe some other conditions?

4) x\100 chance door gets one of 3 colours. If rolled succesfully, block entrance with door, generate keycard (and maybe some additional monsters around it; maybe additional items too).

This way it's impossible to make game unplayable by locking vital rooms, and searching for keycards allows to get some additional supplies...

Keycard can be not simple laying around, but carried by some monster not inside locked room... BTW, locked rooms should have indestructible walls or the whole point would be missed.

Actually, stairways can be locked too, but condition of only one exit should be met anyway; otherwise you'll get lost in uberdifficult checks...

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 17:51 »

But this way it would be just a nuisance, that would make you run around more. Adds nothing to playability IMHO.

There was another idea tough, that vaults are locked with keycards -- and you can have more then one keycard of a color. Then you could use your found keycards either with the first occasion, or save them for the lower levels (where the rewards are better).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 18:29 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
There was another idea tough, that vaults are locked with keycards -- and you can have more then one keycard of a color. Then you could use your found keycards either with the first occasion, or save them for the lower levels (where the rewards are better).

Good idea :).

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 01:04 »

Nice, that somehow reminds me of on Gauntlet, you can save keys }:)
Howdy.

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 04:38 »

There could be some small rooms with indestructible walls that contain stuff and ennemies, but can only be opened with key. Diferent color could also mean better stuff... So you may find lot of blue, a bit of yellow, and rarely red. So if you find a vault or locked room, if it requires a red key, then it may contain a lot more valuable stuff. Just an idea.

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 05:53 »

Quoting: jake250000000000000000000000000
There could be some small rooms with indestructible walls that contain stuff and ennemies, but can only be opened with key. Diferent color could also mean better stuff... So you may find lot of blue, a bit of yellow, and rarely red. So if you find a vault or locked room, if it requires a red key, then it may contain a lot more valuable stuff. Just an idea.

That sounds like it would be pretty easy to remember!
Howdy.

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 04:14 »

Yay!  You remembered!  But seriously though, I see your point where the keys would just hinder the gameplay, but think of the original doom (and how annoying that was).  From there, it's a challenge because the key itself is guarded by Big...HUGE ARSED DEMON!  But I guess it might be only useful if the key was planned out in special floors.  Its just some floors that does that, but not nessisary all of them.

Just a thought though.  When I was in that Chained Court, I managed to get a rocket launcher early and started opening up those 6 extra rooms...nothing in them =(.  *shrugs*
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 04:17 »

Quoting: Zephyre Syx
Yay! You remembered!

Yup ;-). Welcome to the forum :-D.

But I guess it might be only useful if the key was planned out in special floors.

...or if the level generator would place them intelligently... the current one can't :-/

When I was in that Chained Court, I managed to get a rocket launcher early and started opening up those 6 extra rooms...nothing in them =(. *shrugs*

Kheh, didn't think about that :-D. Well, maybe the next time (next version...) something will be there :->
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 08:13 »

This sound much better.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 04:58 »

Keycards would be okay, in moderation. Also make sure that keycards take up no/little inventory space. My inventory is always cramed with 19 items without the keycards!
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 05:17 »

Yes, no inventory for keycards would be bliss
Howdy.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 16:12 »

That would be too easy :-P. I think that keycards will take a slot each -- that way you will have to make a tactical decision -- carry these in the hope of finding a good vault? Or throw them away and make space for ammo?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 02:59 »

wait! My post disappeared !!
Howdy.

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2005, 08:10 »

Thinking about it again, all doors and walls currently can be blasted away, and it's a nice feature of the game that would be sad to see going away...
Pages: [1]