Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My introduction, and some food for thought.  (Read 3453 times)

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
My introduction, and some food for thought.
« on: March 26, 2008, 13:27 »

This post, as I have said in the subject, will be used as my introduction in the forums and as some food for thought related with the Aliens Roguelike.

My name is Sachiko Kotobuki. I am a Japanese Rogueliker that has been in the world of Roguelikes since she put her hands on ADOM. I am 23 years old, and I play Roguelikes since 17. My brothers and my mother are always 'wondering what do I see in all those ASCII graphics', so I'm unable to speak with others about Roguelikes. That is, until I found out of these forums...

Now, the food for thought.

I have been playing the Aliens Roguelike since a long while already, and although I keep being torn to pieces because of my stupid mania of 'opening the door to see if there's something worth inside' instead of just taking enough supplies to reach the Queen and blow her brains off. But little by little, I am starting to master this thing.

I play this game because I'm a fan of Roguelikes. However, although the atmosphere is ideal, there are some things that, well, look a bit shocking to me.

First off, the Alien castes. Juveniles, Workers, Hunters, and the like. As far as I know, their original names would be 'Chestbuster' for Juveniles (Since the young stage of a Xenomorph is the Chestbuster, then it immediately turns into an adult one), 'Drone' for Workers, and 'Runner' for the hunters (Since the runners are the hunters of the Alien hive, fast and experts in stalking, but lightly armored). Warriors is an official alien caste, but, seeing how resistant the warriors are, I think that they probably should be called 'Praetorians' (Which are the warriors of the hive). Either that, or make them a bit less armored and have a heavily armed, heavily armored caste in the levels near the Queen called Praetorians.

Also, if you plan to expand the game, what about adding an outdoors area where you start before entering the colony? If you plan to add new weapons, The SADAR Missile Launcher is a must, as well.

More comments tomorrow. My login time today is over.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: My introduction, and some food for thought.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:28 »

Hello, and welcome to ChaosForge!

Your post made me think that we might need a "welcome" thread -- I don't know a thing about 99% of the people here :D.

Yeah, AliensRL is different from most roguelikes in the fact that it punishes extreme exploration. Probably that's also why it's so tactical.

As for the names -- I could agree with most, except Juvenile -- the Juvenile is already an alien -- a Facehugger/Chestbuster is planned, but didn't make it into the game yet.

I have plans to expand the game, but there's a collosal list of things I need to do first :/

Glad to have you on board!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Sachiko

• Sergeant
  • I hunt down Cheat-modders and collect their skulls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31 »

Thanks for the welcome, Kornel. I really hope to fit well in this community.

I have already seen some of the suggestions some people around here have offered to expand AliensRL, and I thought I would offer my opinion about them...

Respect to the missions part, personally, I think that offering more than one way to finish the game would be a good addon. For example, instead of killing the Queen with your own hands, you could go find a the switch for the self destruction system to blow her with the entire colony... Or, you could just say 'To hell with the Queen! I'm getting outta here!' and go look for a way to call a spare shuttle from your mothership, like Ripley and the troupe did in the movie, and get the heck out of the condemned colony. But, the shuttle would take time to arrive... And while you wait, the Xenomorphs may go looking for some extra fiber in their diet...

Respect to the idea of making a Predator lurk the level on his own, and hunting Aliens (And you)... I find this would turn out interesting if done correctly. You two could be like Robinson Crusoe and Friday in the deserted island. Will you two seek to destroy everything in your path, without caring of the other? Will you seek to destroy the other one while destroying the Xenomorphs at the same time? Or perhaps there's some way you two can reach a temporal 'truce' to find a way out of that hell? The decission is up to you...

Someone suggested the addition of Synthetics. While this could be nice as a class, I think it could work better as some sort of 'pet' type. Like, you find a shutdown synthetic at one of the towers, and, if you have enough technical skills, you could repair it and reactivate it so it helps you exploring and splattering xenies...

Also, although this could become annoying, the idea of making Aliens drip or splash acid when wounded/killed would be a nice addition that would add something new to take care about: Avoid making the things too messy while killing the Aliens, as the blood of the Aliens, as we all know, hurts...

Also, I add some new idea by myself... Barricades. If you feel you're being cornered by the xenies, you could place barricades on the doors to prevent them from reaching you while you regroup your thoughts and recover yourself. Of course, this would mean that the xenies could tear them down and bring down the doors while looking for you. This would add more Survival Horror feeling to the game, which is always welcome.

And, although this one is probably overkill, it would be very very VERY cool if you could find an Exosuit if you did something secret or semi-secret in the military tower. Just a suggestion, of course.

And here it is, some food for thought. More to come when I recall my thoughts.
If you ever use cheat-mode, I'll go for you and kill you while you sleep.

Daqin

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 01:28 »

..as my introduction in the forums and as some food for thought related with the Aliens Roguelike.

Hi. AlienRL is what also attracted me to the forum. I think it has most potential of chaosforge games.

You two could be like Robinson Crusoe and Friday in the deserted island. Will you two seek to destroy everything in your path, without caring of the other? Will you seek to destroy the other one while destroying the Xenomorphs at the same time? Or perhaps there's some way you two can reach a temporal 'truce' to find a way out of that hell? The decission is up to you...

That thing is actually what affected me the most in AvP movie. Human and predator caring for eachother, comunication without words..

And, although this one is probably overkill, it would be very very VERY cool if you could find an Exosuit if you did something secret or semi-secret in the military tower. Just a suggestion, of course.

At first I didn't know what you mean by Exosuit. Then I recalled machine Ripley fought the alien queen with and got your point. It would be really cool.

I also thought about idea of finding a child that survived (like the gril in Alien2). You could look after it, heal and protect from aliens. Kind of voluntary game goal: to save it.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 23:15 »

Most of the ideas mentioned are already planned :)

While some of them are quite work-loaded, and not planned for the near future (because we have to admit, most people come here because of DoomRL) I plan to eventually realize all of them. The predator is a very low priority one however due to the AI involved, so is any kind of non-hostile entity. I may do some AliensRL related work soon though, so both, keep your eyes open! ^_^
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]