Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 23:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Chained Court in 0.9.8.10  (Read 4727 times)

cosmonk

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Chained Court in 0.9.8.10
« on: April 25, 2008, 00:32 »

So I just died on the Chained Court, and I wonder, should the lava still be in there? That's what killed me. I had 45% life and tried running back from the room to the main area, and died a step from the door, sigh. With the significantly increased lava damage, this level becomes WAY more challenging. If you go for the rooms that is.

Well thats just my two-cents.

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Chained Court in 0.9.8.10
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:38 »

I just avoid those rooms now most of the time. :D

I like that now you actually have to think about going in there. Before it was just free XP with no threat.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:11 »

If you have completed Hell's Arena, you will already have a rocket launcher, which you can use to shoot down the necessary walls and then kill the last monsters from a distance, without crossing the lava. This is how I usually play the level. You will probably not be able to get the ammo back there if you do it this way, but then again, at that stage in the game shells are plentiful anyway, and you won't have any use for power cells for a long time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 13:30 »

If you're on a high enough difficulty level, the monsters will pick up the ammo in those rooms, making it safe to open them with a rocket launcher.  Also, those monsters have an attack that can destroy walls -- sometimes you can use this to open a safe return path.  Finally, picking up extra berserk packs will ensure that you are berserking both ways when crossing the lava -- this is usually quite safe as berserking reduces the lava damage by a lot.

Star Weaver

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 14:20 »

Stand out in the middle of the side field to the south and target the end of the wall on the other side of the lava from the caco rooms. I don't usually lose items from this. I usually use items because I attack the cacos without having remembered to change weapons again.

This assumes you have a rocket launcher, of course ^_^.

I thought we were supposed to be able to bore through walls with other weapons, now, too? Chaingun seems to not work.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 15:26 »

I thought we were supposed to be able to bore through walls with other weapons, now, too? Chaingun seems to not work.

The chaingun is not good for destroying walls because walls have a lot of armor (I'm not sure how much).  You need a weapon that does more damage in one shot.

Star Weaver

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 15:37 »

OOOH!. Too bad the armor dosen't break like mine ... or at least not fast enough :D.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 16:24 »

The chaingun is not good for destroying walls because walls have a lot of armor (I'm not sure how much).  You need a weapon that does more damage in one shot.

I have tried to unload 3 direct shots from BFG into the wall. Isn't that enough? Walls just can't be breaked by weapons that are not able to destroy walls.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 18:08 »

You CAN shoot down doors (if not walls) with ordinary weapons, which is a really nice new development--it makes it possible to complete Halls of Carnage on Angel of Marksmanship, for instance, and it takes the guesswork out of breaking down the last door with an indirect rocket shot in Halls of Carnage.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 21:39 »

So I just died on the Chained Court, and I wonder, should the lava still be in there? That's what killed me. I had 45% life and tried running back from the room to the main area, and died a step from the door, sigh. With the significantly increased lava damage, this level becomes WAY more challenging. If you go for the rooms that is.

Well thats just my two-cents.
There are four berserk packs in the staging area. You did something wrong.
Pages: [1]