Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 19:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Running DoomRL on a PSP, in theory  (Read 4929 times)

cosmonk

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Running DoomRL on a PSP, in theory
« on: May 01, 2008, 13:30 »

Ive very recently gotten into all the crazy stuff I can do on my modded PSP. So, there is this emulator, called Bochs, that will apparently allow you to run Windows 95 on a PSP, along with, presumably, any applications windows 95 can run. So, can Win95 run DoomRL? That I do not know. I won't be able to try this out for a week or two yet, and I have to figure a way to install Win95 on a spare hard drive, among other things. But, it could work.

Similarly, Bochs can run Linux on a PSP, but unfortunately a lack of keyboard input makes that one temporarily unusable. Windows has minimal mouse emulation or something, and you can use the Virtual keyboard for input, though in-game I don't quite know how that will work either.

Also, if a DOS port of DoomRL were released, theres a Dosbox port for the PSP underway, so it could be run that way.

I don't know if the Nintendo DS offers up any similar OS emulation (I doubt it though), but PSP users take heart, we may yet get some DoomRL portable.

UPDATE:
I succeeded in putting Windows 98 and DoomRL on my PSP, however the game is still unplayable. When I start it, the video goes all wonky and I get vertical pinkish purple bars across the screen along with glimpses of the window bars for the folder containing DoomRL and the application itself. If I hit enter a few times to start the game, I get the blue screen of death. So, perhaps in the future more stable versions of Windows for the PSP will be released (the team is working to get XP running, lol) but until then it just aint playable.

Unless Kornel releases a DOS version, cuz that would run just fine. Hey Kornel, release a DOS version! Well, only if its not too much work. DOS emulation on the PSP is pretty good, though still slow. A soundless version would probly run great though. Theres also some sorta DOS emulator for the DS I believe, so it would possible run on that too.
Well, if its too much work, dont worry bout it, but if it can be done without much effort, a DOS version would actually have a use, and I for one would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 15:50 by cosmonk »

Upaut

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Re: Running DoomRL on a PSP, in theory
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:25 »

There were a couple attempts at porting an OS to the DS, cosmonk, such as DSDos and DSLinux, however the former never really took of as much more than a file management system and I've yet to hear back from the author concerning the use of DOSBox coding.  The latter, DSLinux, works kinda' like PSP connectivity with a PS3, with the exception that you're technically connecting to a Linux machine.  Considering I haven't even thought about using DSL (Damn Small Linux), I have no idea what the limitations, nor the capibilities, of attempting to run this via DSLinux.

However, I will point out that there's been a few roguelikes to hit the DS, albeit programmed in either C++ or Lua.  I do believe I still have two of them.  *checks his NDS homebrew*  Let's see, we have DSCrawl, NethackDS (which looks terrible with the micro-sized fonts and tiles), and Powder (which despite it's blocky graphics, plays rather wonderfully).  It's more than possible to directly port DoomRL to the NDS (and subsequently the PSP) like Powder was, although Powder was originally programmed for the GBA which made the transitioning a little easier.  I could swear I've seen tutorials showing how to put an on-screen keyboard on the DS using the touchscreen (there was even a non-standard on-screen keyboard programmed, but I so didn't like the looks of it).

I can provide links to any of the above mentioned items upon request, or I might just post them later.

cosmonk

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 15:36 »

Post links, please. I do not own a DS myself, but my fiancee does, and I play it every so often. Ive tried NethackDS, since Im a big nethack fan, and yes, the fonts were damn small. Id never heard of DSCrawl. I had tried Powder on the GBA, and it seemed pretty decent, but Ive just been too busy with other games. DoomRL still occupies alot of my free time.

Regarding ports, I do not think I would be up to doing a port, but I may give it a shot. Ive had some basic experience programming in C++, and I suppose I probably could learn enough over the summer to do it. However I wouldnt even know where to begin. I would also be more inclined to port to the PSP, since I prefer the larger screen.

Though I assume Id need the sourcecode and whatnot, and I dunno if Kornel is gonna lemme have it.

Upaut

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 22:03 »

NDS development manual (includes useful tutorials and relevant links)
DSLinux (not to be confused with Damn Small Linux)
Nethack DS
Powder (available in many flavours, including PSP)
And a totally legal site with DSCrawl (I would've listed the author's page, but for some odd reason, it's currently down)

Kornel, if I somehow violated forum rules by sharing all of this, I am terribly sorry, but that was not my intention.  cosmonk expressed an interest in seeing your wonderful game, DoomRL, ported to portable devices that are currently unable to emulate an environment capable of playing it.  Were I more experienced with C/C++/C# or even Lua, I would ask to port the game over myself, with the obvious credits due.

cosmonk

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 16:03 »

Thanks, I dunno if I wanna really do DS development, but its nice to know about. Im looking at PSP programming now. It seems not too difficult. Mayhap when DoomRL is completed and if I get permission, I will port it myself to the PSP. I dunno about Lua, but I will look intothat. Im assuming using Lua it would be possible to port to both the PSP and DS without a whole lot of extra work.

Well anyways, all that is a ways off. In the meantime, I will keep trying every so often to get it running via emulators.

Awebb

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 06:34 »

Why trying to emulate an OS on PSP, when you can have a native linux wrapped in an eboot?

There is a PSP version of uClinux, including a toolchain, so you should be able to compile a lot of dependencies by yourself. It also uses an advanced on screen keyboard.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:39 »

Remember that the greatest impediment in porting DoomRL is the fact that it's written in FreePascal, not C++. As far as I know there's some fairly working cross-compiler for NDS, but I don't think there's one for the PSP.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]