Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 11:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New cheating suggestion  (Read 4931 times)

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
New cheating suggestion
« on: June 07, 2008, 12:12 »

What about implementing a cheating feature with cheats you have to earn by completing challenges? When you cheat, there will be a mortem created that includes "He was a cheater for: [Used cheat(s) go here]". There will be no high score and it can't affect player.dat.
Some examples:

For completing:
AoB: Powerful melee attacks.
AoMr: Pistols are powerful (for the player).
AoD: Every level you enter is mapped (as if you take a computer map).
AoI: Globes are added to the inventory, like medpacks.
AoLT: Inventory is extended with 50%.
AoH: For every level you complete, you get a homing phase device.
AoP: The effect of powerups are doubled.
AoM: Your health regenerates slowly over time.
AoD&D: For every level up, you can choose 2 traits.
AoRA: You get a thermie at the beginning of the game.
Ao100: No Cybie or JC.
AoPa: At the beginning, you can select your starting weapons. You can choose anything, even BFG, AoD's Spear and special weapons.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:18 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Rabiat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: New cheating suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 12:35 »

Voted 'I don't think so'. I never understood the point of unlockable cheats, though many games have them. I don't believe that players who try to complete challenges are interested in rewards that make the game easier. And cheaters would be looking for options such as permanent invulnerability or resurrection, unlimited access to inventory items or powerups, revealing the map, and level selection.
0.9.9.2 - [22/8/2/0/0] - Mancubus Scrap Metal Collector

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 12:50 »

I don't think so ;).

BTW - we already have a cheat ingame. The ultimate cheat. If you type in "QY" you win the game (although you get no highscore).
Great, huh ?
Ponder that for a moment ;].
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:53 by Vestin »

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 14:02 »

Lol, that's not even a cheat, it's just quitting the game =P

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 14:44 »

Reminds me of the cheat in this one game which gives you the text "You win the game!". No credits or anything else, just that one text. 'Twas kinda funny.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 14:58 »

I think this is a fine idea. Some of the specific unlocks are too over-the-top, but the concept in general seems pretty fun to me. Rabiat: haven't you ever played GTA? Some of the challenges are more than frustrating enough that some people are going to want more than bragging rights for it.

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 16:15 »

The tendency so far is that you have to go up in rank in order to unlock challenges and Nightmare mode, so basically you have to go up in rank to make the game HARDER in interesting ways; adding cheats would of course make the game EASIER. But I think it would be important to make the game easier in interesting ways, too. If you look at the mortems posted in the forum for mortems, some challenges are more popular than others; there are more mortems for Ao100 than for Angel of Darkness, for instance, even though Ao100 is harder than Angel of Darkness, and I think this is because Ao100 is more fun than Angel of Darkness. What I'm saying is that cheats would need to make the game easier in fun and interesting ways, and not all of the suggestions on your list of cheat modes look to me like they would change the way the game plays in an interesting way (the suggestion for AoD would completely nullify the effect of the AoD challenge, for instance; and Ao100 already has no Cyberdemon or JC). Something like changing each monster in the game to some number of former humans based on the strength of the original monster (maybe change an imp to two former humans, for instance, and a hell knight to seven former humans, or something) would make the game easier but in a way that changes the style of the game in a way that might be interesting, at least for a couple tries at it--you would find the rocket launcher unusually useful.

Anyway, you have to unlock Nightmare by gaining ranks; along the lines of the unlockable cheats suggestion, it might be amusing to have a skill level EASIER than the other available ones (instead of HARDER, as is the case with Nightmare) which is unlocked by getting a very high rank. Something insultingly easy might be a good joke, like having only one monster per level.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 16:33 »

I think you're missing the point. Yes, the AoD reward nullifies the AoD challenge. You aren't supposed to use it in AoD, you're supposed to use it everywhere else. The idea is that you accept the challenges in order to earn something.

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 16:35 »

Oh, I see. I was missing the point. This is an interesting idea, then.

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 13:49 »

In fact, they're not really cheat-cheat-cheats you know. They're just extra advantages as a reward for winning a game with a disadvantage. There are no cheats that makes you invunerable or gives you infinite ammo; just that little unfair thing that makes the game more fun (for some people). Actually it's meant to be trophy for winning a challenge, something that makes you proud =)

And why not? It gives no high score or player.dat update, so in fact playing a cheat game is totally pointless, so it's just for fun.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 06:58 »

This would be funny if each challenge completion would award you a ONE-TIME bonus for the NEXT game you play on that difficulty level. The proposed bonuses are way overboard, but if they would be smaller that might work. Maybe even make the bonuses stackable, so you can earn 12 medium melee bonuses for completing 12 medium melee games. Then when beginning a new game at that level (challenge or not) you can choose one (or more!) bonuses you want to take with you on that particular game.

So you could beef up some UV bonuses to make that UV AoPa game doable...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]