Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 09:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Graphs for DooM Roguelike  (Read 57411 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Graphs for DooM Roguelike
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2006, 02:03 »

Quoting: jimmyj
Another thing we will need if tiles go into 0.9.9 would be scrolling, because from these mockups, we will need to scroll to have a full level.

That's another reason why it's a lot of work :-/.

Another thing, are you planning to add corpse's? Or just blood?

That's a good point actually. Either we would need a generic "corpse" tile (like it is now) or different corpses for different monsters. I will need to implement different corpses gameplaywise anyway, when the Arch-vile will be added ;-).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2006, 02:05 »

Duh, that gave me an idea -- imagine a special level: all empty, on the middle there are a couple of arch-villes... easy huh? Then you notice, that the red you thought was floor is a field of hell baron corpses...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Derek

• Team Artist
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.derekyu.com
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2006, 03:15 »

Yeah, I think saving tiles for 1.0.0 would be good.  It just seems like the perfect way to cap the game off. :)

Plus that will get 0.9.9 out the door faster and give us more time to make the graphics perfect!

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
That's a good point actually. Either we would need a generic "corpse" tile (like it is now) or different corpses for different monsters. I will need to implement different corpses gameplaywise anyway, when the Arch-vile will be added ;-).

Yes, Arch-vile!  I think different corpses for different monsters would be the best.  Although maybe a generic "gibbed" corpse (those probably wouldn't be able to be resurrected, right?).

Quoting: My Title
Team Artist

Whoohoo!

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2006, 03:20 »

Arch-vile will be added

Sweet merciful crap...

--

I wonder how multiple corpses on the same tile will be handled, Could there be a few dozen pile sprites added?

--

Kornel, I now know your secret to a high post count..

I'm sorry to complain, But have you ever heard of the edit button? I know that two posts to adress two people can be convenient, But really there is a point where it becomes excessive..

P.S Please dont kill me.

--

Another thing we will need if tiles go into 0.9.9 would be scrolling, because from these mockups, we will need to scroll to have a full level.

That's another reason why it's a lot of work :-/

Well just a thought here, Bear with me..

Could larger-than-whatwehavenow levels be added if a scrolling feature is added? It could work and add a bit more meat to levels..

--

Duh, that gave me an idea -- imagine a special level: all empty, on the middle there are a couple of arch-villes... easy huh? Then you notice, that the red you thought was floor is a field of hell baron corpses...

Please refer to my second point..

But still, That idea sounds pretty good..

But..A little suggestion about Arch-Viles

I'm to young to die - Creature can only be ressurected once
Hey, Not too rough - Two ressurections

And so on and so forth, Except nightmare is the only time where I would consider "Eternal life after death (For monsters)" appropriate..

--

Damn tiles are going to be cool at this rate

--

Sounds great, Different corpses for different monsters and if you totally maim a monster before it dies (I.E Direct hit with shotgun at point blank range, Rocket or BFG blast) then have it collapse into a gooey heap of flesh and bones ala classic doom.

A quick addition to this, If gibification is added, Please make it so that Arch-Viles cannot ressurect pink goo.

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2006, 01:09 »

Quoting: Anticheese
if you totally maim a monster before it dies (I.E Direct hit with shotgun at point blank range, Rocket or BFG blast) then have it collapse into a gooey heap of flesh and bones ala classic doom.

I'm to young to die - Creature can only be ressurected once
Hey, Not too rough - Two ressurections

And so on and so forth, Except nightmare is the only time where I would consider "Eternal life after death (For monsters)" appropriate..

But in classic doom you could only gib with bfg and rocket launcher, not shotgun!
That would be nice, espically because i do not want to be pwned TOO badly ;)
Howdy.

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2006, 05:01 »

But in classic doom you could only gib with bfg and rocket launcher, not shotgun!

You could also gib with exploding barrels and Berserked Fists. =p
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2006, 08:18 »

Oh yeah..

I wonder how the ASCII version of DoomRL will handle gibbing though, All theese red  %'s look the same..

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2006, 03:08 »

Simple, % of monster's colour: Monster corpse
Dark red %: Pile of PWNED enemie remains
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2006, 08:33 »

Hmm..

Anyone else getting the mental image of cattle processing on steroids?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2006, 07:53 »

I wonder how multiple corpses on the same tile will be handled, Could there be a few dozen pile sprites added?

Duh, that IS a problem. I guess we will only count the most recent corpse, and treat that everything underneath is just a big pool of blood and guts (by the way Gutts rulez :-P).

Kornel, I now know your secret to a high post count..
I'm sorry to complain, But have you ever heard of the edit button? I know that two posts to adress two people can be convenient, But really there is a point where it becomes excessive..
P.S Please dont kill me.

Whoa, give away a little power and I get an overambitious moderator ^_^.

Anubis pulls out his combat shotgun.
Anubis pumps a shell into the chamber.
Anubis fires!...

Seriously tough -- replies that span over the length of one screen seem somewhat unokay to me. Yet if it really annoys you I can behave ^_^.

Could larger-than-whatwehavenow levels be added if a scrolling feature is added? It could work and add a bit more meat to levels..

Depends. Having the levels scroll around the screen is the smaller problem. Increasing the memory allocated (78x19) for the level is the bigger problem.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2006, 09:10 »

Anubis pulls out his combat shotgun.
Anubis pumps a shell into the chamber.
Anubis fires!...

What part of please dont kill me dont you understand? *grin*

Ryan pulls out his Rocket Launcher
Ryan loads a rocket into the chamber
Ryan fires!
Ryan gibs Anubis.

*ahem*

Seriously tough -- replies that span over the length of one screen seem somewhat unokay to me. Yet if it really annoys you I can behave ^_^.

Its personal preference, I've allways been compacting all the posty goodness into one big chunk, That is why I use double-heiphen seperators between topics.

If I come across as complaining, I think it might have to do with the universal forum code of ethics which has been impressed on me for ages..I guess I just dont like double/triple/quadruple posts :-X (Once again, Personal preference. Dont kill me.)

--

Duh, that IS a problem. I guess we will only count the most recent corpse, and treat that everything underneath is just a big pool of blood and guts (by the way Gutts rulez :-P).

I guess that could work, Or perhaps could I suggest a "Queue" feature in which the latest 5 or so corpses to land on that tile are remembered, So in the event of ressurection there is allways fresh meat to work with.

If you really wanted to get tricky, Have a weight value for monsters added, This weight value will deterimine how many slots this creatures carcass will take up, So an arachnotron will squash around 3 former humans when it hits the floor..Where as a mere former human wont be carrying enough leverage to squash anything..

I think that would be a nifty feature.

--

Depends. Having the levels scroll around the screen is the smaller problem. Increasing the memory allocated (78x19) for the level is the bigger problem.

I'm sure it can be done, All things are possible and the hardest things in programming are either really cool or finishing touches.

The former apply's to this one, If you descided to go ahead with it, Which verson would it make its possible appearance?

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2006, 21:58 »

Well, i am pretty sure it WILL happen, but the question is, what version :)
Howdy.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2006, 11:20 »

Its personal preference, I've allways been compacting all the posty goodness into one big chunk, That is why I use double-heiphen seperators between topics.

Yet, that makes it hard sometimes to quickly see who's posting what you're reading. As for the double-hypen, it would look better if BBCode would convert them into <hr>'s.

I guess that could work, Or perhaps could I suggest a "Queue" feature in which the latest 5 or so corpses to land on that tile are remembered, So in the event of ressurection there is allways fresh meat to work with.

A queue function would complicate code. I don't think that multiple corpses are THAT important.

I think that would be a nifty feature.

Nifty but unnoticable :-/
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2006, 20:39 »

Wow, just saw those sprites. They look amazing Derek!

In all honesty i must say i don't like graphics in rogue likes, but i understand we can choose between ascii and tiles when DoomRL goes graphical. I'm sure it will attract a lot more players, especially with graphics like that.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2006, 21:05 »

A queue function would complicate code. I don't think that multiple corpses are THAT important.

Trust me, They are..

At the moment it is rather irritating how corpses just slide to the nearest tile..After a bit an entire room is covered in red %'s...

Nifty but unnoticable :-/

Not really..

"You see here: An Arachnotron corpse, A Former Human corpse, An Imp corpse"

Ok, So I suck.

But really, It would improve Arch-Villes..

I know it would take a while, But try coding a test version and see what happens..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6