Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 23:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Heaven Harness!  (Read 3284 times)

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
The Heaven Harness!
« on: June 29, 2008, 17:59 »

ok, this is a Unique, *non-random* POWERUP item. 1 time use, then its gone. its effect... it makes the user INVULNERABLE.... until they leave the level... yep, that's right, its not timed! it stays until you use a staircase.... also, if u nuke with it in effect, the harness disintegrates. you will survive the nuke, but you've lost your invincibility. which could very well SUCK if u end up behind a big lava pool after the nuke is over. lol. also, i have an idea of having something REALLY cool happen if you activate this while wearing the Angelic Armor! but anyway, the reason this isn't overpowered is because the thing is obtained on a special level i am still designing, this level is Death-Proof.... ideally u will be and stay invincible throughout the level... but its a puzzle. its like a maze, you have to pull levers, push barrels into lava and acid *ON PURPOSE* in order to destroy walls in your way, DONT pull the barrel-exploding decoy levers, DONT let an enemy get off a shot (most of them fire explosives... the 4th and fewest monster placement, in Ultra-Violence and Nightmare!... Mancubi. and it only takes one wrong barrel in the wrong place to null any chance of getting the powerup! btw, i originally called this powerup "Angel's Wings"... but thats weird. basically you put on the harness and angelic wings grow from it, making you invulnerable until the harness breaks from the cosmic stress! note, i have named the level "The Temple Of Light". the idea is that its the last ground on phobos that is still sacred, and upon entering, god saw fit to bestow a test upon you, and the Harness is the reward for completing that test. the level is hella complex, with a LOT of misleading walls, some of which, if you break, will destroy a lever (or the Harness!!!!) behind it! also, since ur invincible for the entire level, everythings white!!! you have to CHECK whether thats a permanent wall or a destructible one, and weather that liquid is the lava u need to blow a barrel, or water that will permanently block any use of any barrel you move against the wall its next to. lol. im working on the level map right now, as soon as i get a general layout, i will upload the wordpad document im editing it on!

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: The Heaven Harness!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:03 »

Yeah, but... What's the point of entering that level ? Just solving the puzzle to get a one-time bonus of invunerability ?
If it's static - we will just have to learn it ONCE and then solving it will be rather a test of our memory than wits ;).
Besides - isn't DOOM:RL all about blasting things and thrusting through the map ? Slowing the pace doesn't seem like a nice choice...
Why not just add this thing as a reward for a REALLY tough fight or another special level that is in desperate need of a worthy reward ?

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:06 »

this level IS tough. and its more of a fight than you think. there are a hella lotta "danger" barrels, of no use to puzzle, only there to be hit and ruin your day. here, iv got a small section of the map done, lemme upload it.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:29 »

Maaan, I really need to free the lua SDK soon :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:30 »

I guess whether you like the "Temple of Light" idea will have a lot to do with how well you like Nethack's Sokoban.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 10:08 »

ummm hi Kornel!
and Titt, it's not just that, it's a lot of things, and there actually isnt much barrel pushing, except obvious stuff. btw Kornel, question, do permanent walls block explosions, or do explosions jump over even permanent walls if they are big enough? also, this map is treating Green walls as more resistant to explosions than most walls. however i really do need to know whether permanent walls are protection against explosions. note, btw, that if your playing Ultra-Violence or Nightmare!, those 2 "x"s that are the strongest enemies i have placed so far, they are Arch-Viles........ whose fire attack never misses and will immediately detonate any barrel your standing next to.... thereby ruining your chances. by the way, the teleports are fixed locations, they will transport you right next to the corresponding teleport... or i might have the teleports just be one way... after all there are the homing phase devices.... lol. also, all the wall destroy levers are the limited range ones.... the "Final" lever is the one that destroys all walls in the level. which allows you to safely reach the Heaven's Harness. also, Kornel, i mentioned maybe having an added effect if the Harness is activated while wearing the Angelic Armor.... if you make the effect powerful enough, it will give people a reason to want to clear the Mortuary again.... and yeah Kornel, designing this would be easier on the actual console.... oh and Kornel, i went and got FreePascal and the current Valkyrie, is there anything else i need to be able to encode DoomRL maps myself, thereby saving you the trouble of coding it yourself? btw Kornel just to mention it, i recently posted another of my ideas (this one is a weapon) in Discussions, i put it there because it is rather overboard.... oh just go check it out yourself, its an idea i had not for DoomRL, but with a lot of modification it could fit in, and it's "super-science" level is right on par with Doom... heh. anyway, remember that the map as you have it is *highly* incomplete.
Pages: [1]