Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tactics problem  (Read 8959 times)

slayde

• Private
    • View Profile
Tactics problem
« on: May 24, 2008, 17:57 »

This is my second try of DoomRL and i haven't learned the controls well yet. The problem is that i cannot change my tactics from cautious to coward or agressive. It was listed that i can change it with tab button, but it changes to running and the second time i press it it turns running mode off thus making me tired.
P.S. I'm using DoomRL windows version 0.9.8.10.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Tactics problem
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 21:24 »

Yeah, tactics, as they used to be, are gone. It's been replaced with the current system. Running makes you move faster and dodge better, but be less accurate

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:49 »

You should also know that tired doesn’t make you any worse off then cautious does; you just can’t run until you are back to cautious again.

If you haven’t played since two versions ago then you should probably check out the in-game manual via “Help” or “?” then “Getting Started”, or have a look at the online manual. Apart from the new tactics there have been a few new additions such as uniques and strafing that you might want to read up on.
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 10:20 »

Apart from the new tactics there have been a few new additions such as uniques and strafing that you might want to read up on.

Strafing was ingame since i remember it.) And i remember it since 0980.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

tisiphone

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 17:21 »

This sort of strafing? -
Try to move not straight, but diagonally, this increases your chance to dodge. If you don't want to approach or retreat from the enemy, but also don't want to be hit often, try moving from side to side perpendicularly to the direction of enemy, as this gives you the same bonus as moving diagonally).
I remember that generally moving (i.e. not necessarily diagonally) used to increase dodge chance but I thought this was new when I read it... Meh, probably missed it the first time I read the manual. Well there is still the stuff about uniques in it, plus some other stuff (like the fact that normal weapons can be moded).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 17:26 by tisiphone »
I want my games for entertainment and escapism, not ethics education, thank you very much.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 19:45 »

You haven't missed it because it wasn't written in previous versions of manual, this feature was very well hidden(and, honestly, i don't remember myself from where or whom i've heard about it)).

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:33 »

I only knew it existed from Blade's references to fighting the Cyberdemon by taking Hellrunner*3 and keeping moving--obviously keeping moving wouldn't help unless there was some kind of dodging bonus when you're in motion. So strafing/dodging seems to be a very secretive part of the game, in fact, this and the way to wield Dragonslayer are the only two things in DoomRL that are still really mysterious to me. Is dodging/strafing meant to be hard to find out about?

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:47 »

It wasn't meant to be hard to find. It just wasn't mentioned anywhere.) But fortunately this feature is described in the manual now.

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 14:30 »

First I've heard of it!  How does it work - does the bonus from moving stack until needed, or must you be in motion right as you're attacked?  And is it a significant boost?  This might actually make Hellrunner seem useful...

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 14:44 »

Effect is that you get increased dodge chance against every attack from direction, relatively which you have moved diagonally (or perpendicularly). This works only for next turn, for example: you moved, even if enemy wasn't firing in his 1-st turn after yours, you do not get any bonus in his 2-nd turn if you won't move again.

I don't know the numbers, but practically it's significant, it really makes retreating (and approaching) much easier. And, yes, Hellrunner is a very good trait if you want to dodge most of the projectiles.

Chamber

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:24 »

Many thanks.  Thus far my strategy has been to stay in one place and fire endlessly when possible - I guess it needs a revision.

hawk773

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:23 »

this game is so well made i guessed that strafing was in it. The only way to live in doom from ID was strafe. 1+1=2 :P
Pages: [1]