Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: An Idea of mine.... the BPD....  (Read 11162 times)

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
An Idea of mine.... the BPD....
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:48 »

Ok this is here in Discussion because it's not really very game friendly, I just wanted to tell of this awesome gun I came up with, but its possible that with modifications, it might be able to be implemented.

Okay, so, The BPD! I came up with this gun while watching a bad SciFi channel Saturday Night movie. In the movie, there was this man-made bio-weapon organism that absorbed ANY force thrown at it, and used it to grow more. So, sunlight, radiation, heat, chemicals, ANYTHING, it just makes it grow. It had a HUGE metabolism, of course.... so my mind created the BPD : The Ultimate Weapon.

BPD is the short acronym, heres the full name : BC-R P(A)V E-D IG(R)... or BCRPAVEDIGR. Biologically Chain-Reacting Plasmatter (Atomizing) Virus Externally-Driven Injector Gun (Reactor). [yeah, I'm obsessed with ultra-complicated acronyms...] The *unofficial* LONG name : "Baker Pave Digger". The short name, BPD, officially means Bio-Plasmic Driver, but unofficially.... its known as the BPD : Big Pwnage Device. Yeah.

It is actually very close to real science, the only part of it that is impossible to our knowledge (or we just haven't found an example of it yet), is the Plasmatter Virus. Such a virus works JUST like normal human viruses do, except its made of Plasmatter. I.e. , Plasma acting like a semi-solid for any number of complex reasons. Plasmatter is as hot as plasma (i.e. , SOLAR), and is often considered explosive when raw. This isn't raw. Anyway, a plasmatter virus can't infect very well. Any part it would infect through is incinerated rapidly on contact. So it needs help.

Let me explain full name: Biologically Chain-Reacting = it spreads its infection through anything biological; Plasmatter (Atomizing) Virus = the virus itself, which certainly does "Atomize" anything it infects; Externally-Driven Injector Gun = unmounted injector gun, think of a syringe on steroids that looks sorta like an RPG Launcher without a grenade in it, most of it looks like a tube... with BIG hand holds.... its Externally Driven... by YOU. In other words, its a giant syringe that you have to jab into the target and fire; (Reactor) = its self-replenishing. not that it doesn't use ammo - it usually needs the plasma tanks recharged after a few shots, but it creates the plasmatter virus inside a reactor unit within the gun. The plasma tanks provide the plasma, which is made into plasmatter.

The bottom line is, this gun is melee only, you have to jab it into the target. The needle is pretty thick, and razor tipped to pierce solid concrete if it needs to, as long as its swung hard. Once you are infected with the virus, you have about half of a second to live before you turn to ashes, disintegrated by the plasmatter. ANYTHING that grows at all, has ANY sort of metabolic functions WHATSOEVER, will meet their doom at the hands of this weapon. It doesn't hurt, it kills. Period. And there is NOTHING thats "Immune" to PLASMATTER. The temperature of a sun is not resistible...

The reason I said it would be hard to implement is because it would have to be an insta-kill weapon, or else you would be seriously distorting its function. Also, the only possible balancer for THAT would be to make it use ammo (plasma, of course, to refill those plasma tanks I mentioned). So it would be a melee weapon that uses ammo.... hmmmmmmmmmmm.... Still, if you think it would be cool in the game, give a shout, as well as suggest how to balance it so its not too overpowered. Just DON'T suggest that it be anything less than insta-kill. That would be a travesty. So, drop me a line on the BPD : the Big Pwnage Device (or PWNage, as its usually written) [and yes, that's SUPPOSED to be a takeoff on the BFG]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 15:46 by RepoRipper »

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: An Idea of mine.... the BPD....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 22:00 »

Line breaks, punctuation, and correct spelling. Use them, please.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 15:34 »

sorry... ill fix in a sec

[EDIT] Fixed
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 15:47 by RepoRipper »

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 18:04 »

Eh, don't really like the idea. For one thing, it's not very "Doomish" and a "virus" made of plasma just doesn't seem very plausible. Not to mention it just seems a bit silly to be running around with a giant syringe that contains "the power of the sun," lol.

But on a more supportive side, you could help balance it out by having quite a lengthy recharge time/cool-down period. While you do just need to stab it into something, it could perhaps require a special skill to use effectively or to even operate (you would have to turn the damn thing on, after all. Don't want it laying around activated.)

It could also be a one time use weapon, sort of like the thermie.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 00:46 »

Any sort of instant kill weapon that isn't one shot wouldn't be balanced, I agree.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 01:25 »

umm yeah, it has a LONG recharge time. and you're not carrying the power of the sun, thats just a phrase. though, taken litterally, the BFG, Plasma Rifle, and Railgun really DO, since they use "Plasma". it doesnt look like a syringe, it looks like a minigun-sized tube with high tech "doohickeys" all over, tapering sharply in the front with a semi-short needle about as thick around as a sewing needle is at the fat end, with handholds almost exactly the same as a minigun. in other words, one handhold at the back end, 1 slightly less than halfway down the barrel. as for limitations, its pretty heavy, so u could require 1 or 2 levels of Brute. you don't need special knowledge to operate... however the reactor and containment unit are pretty audible. i wouldnt say loud, but its a little louder than an old computer thats left fully on with noone using it for a while. its easily dismissable as background noise after a while. but, it is a weird sound..... the thing would easily alert monsters anywhere nearby! as for a virus made of plasma, i have a book called Dragon's Egg, where life had been born on the surface of a neutron star. and there was a shitload of science to prove it possible, if not likely. REAL science. the author talked to guys at Nasa and everything. Plasma is still a form of matter, and where there is matter, there is the possibility of some kind of life, and where there is life, there are eventually invasive lifeforms. and the technology sounds right in tune with "Doomish" plasma science... if you can fire a plasma blast, you can inject it.

Xael

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 06:57 »

Read the topic and felt i should reply. Well, to my mind running around with a machinegun-like injector and an evil grin, while cool, would indeed be "undoomish". With a little refinement, though, the idea will work. I once played this game, X-com 2(a faint ghost of what X-com 1 was with all that Ctulhu mimickry and a strange tech tree, but still a good game).Yeah, so in that game a weapon named thermic lance existed:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Thermic_Lance
http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Heavy_Thermic_Lance

The concepts are pretty close, and i feel thermic lance is doomish enough. So maybe making some tweakings to the initial idea of BPD would do the trick of making it more doomish.

And while i'm here, i just can't resist but to do some nitpicking:

1) Railgun is supposed to fire slugs, not plasma. I think in DoomRL it fires energy cells because any other existing ammunition does not fit.

2) While i have never heard of a potential plasma-based life, i've heard something about a possible life being based on Silicon and a couple of other elements. Some elements show similarities with Carbon (and all life we know is carbon-based), Si being one of them. So in theory, silicon life is possible (as Pamela Anderson goes to show). But it will require a much higher temperature to survive, somewhere around  800-1000 C.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 00:53 »

Xael. the BPD is to a machinegun as an ICBM is to a pistol. they have NOTHING to do with each other. the BPD has NO capability of fast fire.... unless your idea of "fast" is intergalactic snail mail....

1. there are 3 kinds of railguns. one is seen on Stargate: Altlantis ; ultra-fast firing weapon that shoots some kind of slug. this is the "real" Railgun, or at least this is what the military calls a railgun. 2nd, the kind used in Doom, and also in Quake 3 Arena, and a few other games i can't recall, which is basically a handheld particle accelerator that fires a blast of plasma at insane speeds, allowing the weapon to penetrate anything. i am reffering to the DoomRL version of this form. 3rd and finally, the most common science fiction Railgun, the magnetic accelerator. this is the one you are talking about, which uses electromagnetic "rails" to accelerate a metal slug when a current is passed through the rails, pulling the bullet with an intense magnetic force, accelerating it to such speeds as to allow the slug to punch through walls and other obstacles with ease. there is a 4th, extremely rare version of the railgun that is precisely what the name suggests ; it fires a heavy metal rail somehow, which can penetrate and stay stuck, with its length making it like trying to pull a metal pipe out of a person, if you have ever seen Terminator 2, you know what that looks like. as i said, this 4th one is very rare. i cant remember where i saw it, but i don't think i saw it more than that one time.

2. not plasma-based. neutron-based.... and yes, it DOES require that kind of temperature. which is EASILY found on a neutron star!! and yes, a neutron star is made up of neutrons only, as in no atoms. so the whole thing about life based on elements is pointless ; there are no elements on a neutron star, except those ultra-exotic ones that are nothing but scientific mumbo-jumbo for "we don't have a clue as to what we are talking about but we have to look good so we will make up some fancy names and hope we can impress you enough so that you don't ask us any hard questions"
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 01:14 by RepoRipper »

Xael

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:25 »

This is going off-topic, but anyway:

1)The railgun i was talking about is actually the "real" railgun, which is an electricity-based gun which fires metal rails (or slugs). And it was actually tested by US navy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

The gun which fires magnetic projectiles is called a coilgun. And yeah, in Quake III railgun ammo is called "slugs".

2) I won't argue on this one, since it's my policy to keep quite on subjects i know next to nothing about. But i have to agree that scientists do like to make up silly names. I mean, really: all those talks about "dark energy"
and "dark matter" sound like those guys got drunk, read a lot of terrible science fiction and decided to make up theories.

Also, when i talked about the gun beeing machinegun-like, i meant that had a shape similar to a machinegun. And no rapid fire.

And i also have a suggestion: How about  making BPD a melle weapon that is better than the chainsaw, but consumes energy cells. It will than have an ability to overcharge it (like the plasmagun), maing it an one hit kill weapon, but losing it in the process. We really need more non-unique melle weapons. DoomRL has only 3 now, two of which only spawn on special levels.

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 08:34 »

2. not plasma-based. neutron-based.... and yes, it DOES require that kind of temperature. which is EASILY found on a neutron star!! and yes, a neutron star is made up of neutrons only, as in no atoms. so the whole thing about life based on elements is pointless ; there are no elements on a neutron star, except those ultra-exotic ones that are nothing but scientific mumbo-jumbo for "we don't have a clue as to what we are talking about but we have to look good so we will make up some fancy names and hope we can impress you enough so that you don't ask us any hard questions"

I think you are confusing things you have read in science fiction for actual science. The Wikipedia page on this may be helpful, although Wikipedia is far from perfect. There are no complete atoms inside the "crust" of a neutron star but there is certainly much more than only neutrons. In the outer layers of a neutron star, the gravitational forces are so strong (due to the star being very very massive but very very compact) that they overcome the electromagnetic force binding electrons to nuclei, so electrons are not attached to nuclei; in the inner layers of a neutron star, the gravitational forces are even stronger, and they overcome the strong nuclear force, so that the protons and neutrons are no longer bound into atomic nuclei. Gravity of that magnitude also overcomes the weak nuclear force, and that prevents (sometimes?) the neutrons from undergoing beta decay, like a neutron "in the wild" ordinarily would. So in the outer layers you could speak of "elements" as each free nucleus has a certain number of protons, so it has an atomic number and hence an element that it would be (an isotope of) if it were able to escape the star and attract electrons, but in the core of a neutron star, protons and neutrons do not bind into nuclei so there are no elements (exotic or otherwise) to speak of.

Also I think you have some misconceptions about how science works, given your "we don't have a clue" bit! I have a feeling this also may have come from reading too much science fiction while being exposed to too little actual science.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 11:22 »

Titt..... your right on target with the "too much sci-fi" remark, but as to real science, ive been exposed to plenty... although, with your argument, obviously not enough in comparison. however, i do have a pretty good idea what im talking about, especially since in my stories, there is very little technology there that doesn't conform to real science after making a single exception (i.e. my hyper-plasmic elements.... came up with a long time ago, supposedly the result of matter in the plasma state going directly to the solid state, the idea is such a rapid reordering of an atom would disrupt atomic structures, leading to substances with highly unique properties, some of which seem to disregard other laws of physics!.... which, if you think about it, a double state-skip really would cause havoc, if it was possible. or take one of a large number of technologies that, theoretically, are SIMPLE.... they just consume unimaginable amounts of energy, like my Storm Breaker spaceship, with its reality-changing Breakpoint Manipulators [theoretically, altering reality on the local scale is merely a question of applying enough energy, i.e. more energy than is contained in the entire universe..... yeah. don't ask, that one's made possible by a wonderous unknown device that gives out exponentially more energy than you put in. impossibilities abound in my stories]....... i just realized how long this parentheses is.......... i think i better give someone else a chance to speak....)

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:51 »

And i also have a suggestion: How about  making BPD a melle weapon that is better than the chainsaw, but consumes energy cells. It will than have an ability to overcharge it (like the plasmagun), maing it an one hit kill weapon, but losing it in the process. We really need more non-unique melle weapons. DoomRL has only 3 now, two of which only spawn on special levels.

This is actually an idea that I'd think would work. I'd still say it should be a Unique, but a high damage melee Unique that uses cells would be cool. Some sort of powered fist. Gauntlet if we want to steal from Quake 3 or Piston if we want to steal from Unreal Tournament.

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 12:38 »

This is actually an idea that I'd think would work. I'd still say it should be a Unique, but a high damage melee Unique that uses cells would be cool. Some sort of powered fist. Gauntlet if we want to steal from Quake 3 or Piston if we want to steal from Unreal Tournament.

Or an actual powered fist, like from the Warhammer 40K Universe. That would be kinda' cool.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 00:30 »

ummm... no. overcharge inst-kill , maybe. overcharge destroyed, never.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 13:14 »

I don't like it. It's undoomish in the extreme - unbalancing and non-gory (all turned to ash, right?).

It also doesn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't the heat build-up, at that rate and to that level, be too much for anyone around the target to handle? As a ranged weapon it's a plasma canon, but as a melee weapon it's a plasma suicide bomb. Not to mention you'd have to hit that big, strong, quick demon with a needle stitched to a boulder of a device.

And if we're going into the science behind it (while ignoring the fact we're dealing with searing demons who can be struck down with ordinary bullets and a knife :) ), it may have another major flaw  - most demons seem to metabolize plasma, either naturally or with some machine assistance, so why do you assume they'd be non-resistant to its effects? Arch-Viles in particular, considering they're constantly burning alive, and I doubt the masters of Hell burn with mundane heat. Actually, who said they're even normally cellular? They're all from a different world altogether.
And then there's the whole matter of being infected yourself... A virus that travels with that speed must reproduce, and hence mutate, VERY fast. How long would it take it to become either fully air-borne, or simply versatile enough to infect unrelated cells near the original victim (ones crawling on it etc.)? Then, all you need is a trail of cells between you and your target, each just a little too close to the other, and puff.

And it's still wholly undoomish.
Pages: [1] 2  All