Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I realy like this idea  (Read 14746 times)

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
Re: I realy like this idea
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 13:04 »

I doubt it. I bet there are less people that finished Eternium man rather than those who finished Diablo the way you describe.
First up, I'd not be so sure, the numbers are probably pretty similar.

Second, and more importantly, ADOM is more of a niche game. It never got anywhere near as big as diablo, and with a smaller player base, we can expect far less people to have completed eternium man than ironman diablo, even if eternium man were much easier.

Third, I've tried both. I have succeeded in eternium man ADOM, but I'm yet to do ironman diablo. It was this first-hand experience that made me feel like commenting about the difficulty of the two.

Fourth, just because not many people have done something, that alone doesn't make it difficult. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who has ever typed the following in a forum:
akjshdfiuyq3874cthn89234rxdw74905j892345w938w34798t57 nw83975 982374589 tr73428op5 tjm8934t y734w8op7 y934 t6348t6j3w9e8kug098wk0345=
Does that mean it's more of an acheivement than eternium man ADOM? No...
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 02:55 »

First up, I'd not be so sure, the numbers are probably pretty similar.

Second, and more importantly, ADOM is more of a niche game. It never got anywhere near as big as diablo, and with a smaller player base, we can expect far less people to have completed eternium man than ironman diablo, even if eternium man were much easier.

Third, I've tried both. I have succeeded in eternium man ADOM, but I'm yet to do ironman diablo. It was this first-hand experience that made me feel like commenting about the difficulty of the two.

Fourth, just because not many people have done something, that alone doesn't make it difficult. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who has ever typed the following in a forum:
akjshdfiuyq3874cthn89234rxdw74905j892345w938w34798t57 nw83975 982374589 tr73428op5 tjm8934t y734w8op7 y934 t6348t6j3w9e8kug098wk0345=
Does that mean it's more of an acheivement than eternium man ADOM? No...
Still I don't see a problem with a Diablo if it had to be played with RL rules. It would take a bunch of dying, but can be eventually achieved.
ADOM may be a niche (well games without fancy graphics will never be that popular as the fancy ones, generally speaking), but is far more difficult because of no reload functions available.
During a typical Diablo gameplay if a player dies he will just reload and repeat again. And again - without thinking much about his errors. In ADOM dying is far more painful and thus you become aware of your mistakes. Thats why ADOM players are much more aware of a game than a typical Diablo ones.

Another thing - You have succeded in ADOM, so it is an easy task for you now. If you done it the other way (first Diablo, then ADOM), you would regard ADOM as a harder game, don't you think? ;)

And yeah, I am waiting for your flag from ADOM :) .

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 13:59 »

From reading your post I get the impression we've got on to talking about normal ADOM vs normal Diablo... Adom is a far, far harder game, I never disputed this.
The comparison I was drawing was *ironman* diablo vs *eternium man* ADOM.

I assume you already know what eternium man involves for ADOM.

Ironman diablo is playing through diablo 1 as a 3-man team (usually warrior/rogue/mage) without ever dying, starting a new game, or entering town... You start the game, spend your 100gold, then enter the dungeon, and don't leave until you or diablo is dead.

In practice completing eternium man ADOM involves nothing more than either farming with your pet, or just waiting to get lucky. Eventually, after enough tries, a monster will drop a RoDS, after which it's a simple gremlin bomb into wish engine. It's pretty easy, just takes a while (and a few tries) for a RoDS to show up.
I don't have my FLG, because I didn't consider it much of an acheivement. An eternium man FLG only proves that you got a lucky drop.

Completing ironman diablo takes a lot more than a lucky drop (though getting a pool early certainly helps).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 14:00 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2
Pages: 1 [2]  All