Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Programming  (Read 10230 times)

Glowie

• IRC-Op
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Frozen Depths
Programming
« on: February 10, 2006, 16:23 »

I have a feeling that there are surprisingly many programmers in here compared to the size of this community. Maybe we could get some minor discussion here? :)

I have programmed about three years. I started with C++ and I'm still using it. At the moment I have one "serious" project, which is *surprise, surprise* a roguelike. Though I'm keeping it pretty hidden at the moment because I'm a slow developer (I've got many other things to do too). That means the game won't be released very soon. This is my first real project so I can't show anything now.

Maybe you other programmers would like to tell something about your projects, skills and stuff? :)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 21:37 »

I'm an untalented programmer, I can only use BASIC and a little C++, and I couldn't begin to think how you're supposed to make a rougelike.

But I've made blackjack! Want to play a couple of hands? :P
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 21:50 »

Personally I am only profecient in Megazeux (www.digitalmzx.net) and Game Maker (Original name, no?(www.gamemaker.nl))

My current project is a top over space deathmatch game..

Unfortunatly the project has suffered so many setbacks its not funny..

That and the fact that homework is as hard as hell lately.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 12:13 »

I know (Turbo) Pascal and C++ (self-learned ;P) ... havn't done any seroius projects ... well I did start makin an D&D character generator once but never quite finished it (usually when I start coding It I start mor or less from scratch ^^')
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Excrucior

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 18:51 »

Quoting: Anticheese
Personally I am only profecient in Megazeux (www.digitalmzx.net) and Game Maker (Original name, no?(www.gamemaker.nl))

echeese? =P.

I used Megazeux once upon a time, though now I only hang about on the forums. Gonna try to get myself together and learn Java. Know some *VERY* basic... Basic. And C++. Really basic stuff.

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
Programming
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 07:48 »

ZZT (zzt.the-underdogs.org) (Yayayayay retro 16-color EGA ANSi graphics!), and RPG Maker 2003 (www.google.com) are the only two GCSes I really use. Once upon a dream, I knew a little in VB6, but that knowledge kinda faded. Should crack open that college text and relearn what I knew back in '04 =p
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:17 »

Oh, and I've made a game in OHRRPGCE, if you can call that programming.

By the way, OHRRPGCE is an acronym for:

Ohama
Hamster (don't ask me)
Republic
Role
Playing
Game
Creation
Engine
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 15:36 »

I am FreePascal fanboy ;). I'm afraid that Kornel had a bad influence on me, hence the strong passion towards impossible projects and vapourware-look-alikes.

I've lost count to unfinished, unstarted and untouched projects I had - maybe up to hundred (yep, I'm serious. There was ASCII scroll-shooter, tetris, Lain-inspired cyberquest, few IF's, LOTS of rpgs, strategies, simulators... "all dead, all dead"). I'm awful at finishing stuff, and I am ashamed to admit I have maybe three or four finished games, all of them are very, very simple, and none of which are really interesting :).

Current projects: "MooRL", "MercRL", "The Prince" and rlRL which is in fact "MyADoM II" :).

I have my school-farewell exams this year, so my time is rather limited lately :(. Still I hope third and fourth projects will be finished soon... First and second ones are more long-termed and vapour-flavoured, I'm afraid...

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 01:47 »

so are all those 4 rougelikes? Whats MooRL???? And yet another question comes up......Whaddya got in "MyADoM II"?
Howdy.

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 12:27 »

Quoting: jimmyj
so are all those 4 rougelikes?

Strictly saying, none of them is :). MooRL stands for "Master of Orion RL", while it's actually a mix of MOO, Elite and BattleCruiser ;). RL stands for ASCII and style here.

"MercRL" is squad-based tactical RPG-strategy (think Warlords Battlecry 3 mixed with Final Fantasy Tactics). This one is closer to roguelike :).

"The Prince" is a medieval family sim (similar to strategical part of Rome: Total War, and maybe Crusader Kings).

I wonder, if you had seen the first MyADoM ;))). The second one will be bigger, prettier (in ASCII way) and generally more fun. And yeah, sourcecode won't be AS bad (you can generally use sc of first one as an example of the way you should never, never ever, not under any circumstances, write ANYTHING ;)) ).

Today I have a free day... Good time to get some hacking done ;).

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
Programming
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 15:03 »

I program in Java for a living, have been using it since about 3 years and it is my language of choice for almost everything, including standalone, mobile and web applications. Before Java I used to program in QBasic and even made a complete game, Neo Archer Fire (which is saying something already) as well as some minor shooters and a puzzle. I have a lot of unfinished projects, as everybody does, including 2 RPGs, 2 Shooters, 1 civ clone, 1 browser based game, 1 RPG Creation Kit and 3 roguelikes (OfficeRL, Guardian Angel and GREEKIE). My 'major' roguelike (as in 'most-vapourous'), Guardian Angel, is going for its 3rd rewrite, and hopefully its last one :p

The project I am most proud of is CastlevaniaRL, which is now fully playable, has many unique features and is fun to play, it has been called one of the first  'arcade roguelikes'. It was born from the first 7DRL challenge and evolved during the last year to what it is now.

I am currently participating on the 2nd 7DRL challenge with 'ANT, the OP'

Well, I guess thats it ;)
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 15:07 »

Quoting: Santiago Zapata
I program in Java for a living, have been using it since about 3 years and it is my language of choice for almost everything, including standalone, mobile and web applications.

How did you learn it? I tried studying it armed with "Thinking in Java" and failed...

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
Programming
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 15:25 »

Quoting: Igor Savin
How did you learn it? I tried studying it armed with "Thinking in Java" and failed...

I was given a brief introduction at college and immediately got in love with it; I learned by force getting myself involved into my first RL project, 'Amber Dragon' and my first shoot at a Civ clone, 'History'; I also learned a lot by reading the 'Core Java' books 1 and 2, they are really awesome... as for the web applications stuff, I knew nothing about it until I got into this software company and had to learn it in 1 week :p

I guess the only way is getting into a project, and take it to personal levels.
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Igor Savin

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Programming
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 15:29 »

I also learned a lot by reading the 'Core Java' books 1 and 2

Hmmm... I'll search for those.

I guess the only way is getting into a project, and take it to personal levels.

Maybe this summer third try will make a charm :).

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Programming
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 07:55 »

Quoting: Igor Savin

It's better to learn one language real good than many on a average level. All experience gained beyond "average" will make learning each next language a lot easier.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]