Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Global highscores  (Read 15457 times)

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
Global highscores
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:53 »

How about putting some kind of global highscores? The players nick+score+type-of-game would be sent to a eg mysql server and for a list of highscores it would be retrieved. The server could keep eg the top100 scores for all game types etc. Mysql queries are quite fast so it wouldn't really be a problem with lags in showing and submitting the scores. Ofc the highscores should be kept separate for all released game versions.

The game is closed-source so far, so the db password could be hardcoded into the game binary and sent over a ssl connection to ensure no one would send false data.

What do you think?

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Global highscores
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:59 »

Too much trouble for too little (in my case zero) gain.
Add a checksum (HMAC) to the mortems and add an upload function to the forum so those who want to participate in the high score can do so.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Brutalist

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:51 »

I don't care for global high scores that much myself (because I'd likely not make it anywhere near the top anyway), but I'd really like to have separate score tables for at least some different game types such as AoB. As it is, making it far enough in an AoB game to end up in the high score list is extremely unlikely, thus reducing the incentive to play that particular challenge a lot. If there were a separate high score list I might even play it every now and then to try and beat my previous record. I'd imagine I'm not the only one who'd like such a feature but then again that might be just the case.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 14:57 »

The table would probably look like this:

1: Blade
2: Blade
3: Blade
4: Blade
5: Blade
6: Blade
7: Blade
8: Blade
9: Blade
10: Blade

=P
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 20:12 »

Many games keep global highscores despite having pro gamers in their tables... Maybe (if the idea evolved) a similar to eg Audiosurf (account based, one per account per play highscore) system would be adapted with (a bit) different scoring for different play modes - this keeps the best players from occuping all the top places in the ranking.

So it wouldn't look like <pseudo-objective C>1:10 Blade /n (others)</pseudo-objective C> :-P.

Any way to compare the single player results would be cool... It would give the game a quite a good kick and the players a motivation to play more to get better.

Titt

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 08:59 »

I agree that a global high score list would be a fun idea, players who didn't like it could ignore it or not submit scores to it. It would take a little work to keep it from being very easy to cheat at, though, by manipulating save files or variables in local memory; the only fair way to do it might be to keep everything on a remote server, and have players telnet in to play, like how Crawl runs on crawl.akrasiac.org.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 11:16 »

Remember that you can keep just one highscore per table per forum account :). So 1. would be Blade, but the rest would be others
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 13:33 »

So 1. would be Blade, but the rest would be others

I'm not so sure about that. Some people are playing some challenges better than me and some challenges or game types i do not play at all (for example, i have never played AoD). So until i will get really bored, i don't think that my name will be on the first place in every table.))

Also, won't such account-based system be vulnerable to exploit, when you can registrate multiple accounts and make a good highscore for each of them, and to CONQUER THAT HIGHSCORES TABLE (MWA-HA-HA?)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 14:48 »

Let's say you need 10 posts on the forum to be visible on the highscore tables :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 15:52 »

So 1. would be Blade, but the rest would be others

I'm not so sure about that. Some people are playing some challenges better than me and some challenges or game types i do not play at all (for example, i have never played AoD). So until i will get really bored, i don't think that my name will be on the first place in every table.))

Also, won't such account-based system be vulnerable to exploit, when you can registrate multiple accounts and make a good highscore for each of them, and to CONQUER THAT HIGHSCORES TABLE (MWA-HA-HA?)

But you ARE a really good player. You even got a challenge difficulty level named after you! =D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 16:24 »

But you ARE a really good player. You even got a challenge difficulty level named after you! =D

I'm a good player. But there are some players, who are as good, or better than me. So if i will be first in such scoreboards - this won't be easy for me anyway, such players will give me a challenge.

Also, this forum looks like forum of praising the almighty Blade. Praise Kornel, he's THE CREATOR of this great game, by the way!) I'm only the good player of HIS game.)
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 18:49 »

I'd just be happy if we got that site that turns your player.dat in to a picture with your stats in it back online again.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 10:22 »

Remember that you can keep just one highscore per table per forum account :). So 1. would be Blade, but the rest would be others
Sorry man, but you've forgotten the CEATERS! 1 would be ME! 2 would be Blade ther rest would be others. If you(Kornel) Could track cheaters, and do not allow them to place their scores, so 1 would be Blade. But without, I don't think somebody should beat record: Full win on AoMr on N! with all special levels beaten without vaults and Wall(even MORTUARY) with total of 914476!Ha-Ha! Could you beat it Blade:)?
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 12:08 »

Sorry man, but you've forgotten the CEATERS! 1 would be ME! 2 would be Blade ther rest would be others. If you(Kornel) Could track cheaters, and do not allow them to place their scores, so 1 would be Blade.
I can't help but wonder - why the f*** being a cheater makes you feel so good about yourself ?

It's simple - you can cheat, you can win that way... but noone here gives a shit. It doesn't count. If you post it - it doesn't prove you've got skills - it only proves a bit of persistence and lack of common sense.
You don't even have to play, FFS. You can make the numbers up or ever copy-paste them from someone else's mortem. Sooner or later someone might figure that out, but - what's the difference ?
We post here, because we want to share out experience and joy. DOOM:RL is not that much competitive. The community is about sharing our victories and losses, evaluating the gameplay ideas etc. There is no point in cheating. You don't get the respect, you gain nothing. The open claims of savescumming are met with silence and contempt. Any tries to lie to us would be seen through sooner or later and the man behind them would end up shunned by all.
There's no point in a more complex in-game protection, simply because all the attempts to bypass what we already have are nonexistent and useless.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 13:24 »

About savescumming -this REALLY shows the skill of the player, it's only a prevention of YASD.About cheating - it's REALLY FUN. You didn't take that score seriously, didn't you? I've cheatet for only purpose - to post a topic(which is right now not posted). I wan't to make a solution of "How to beat the N!". I suggest you just try - I don't say this would give anything, but countig that nuke gives 200 dmg and you have 402%HP - this was really funny! Mortuary on N! when you're immortal - imagine THAT! If there would be a highscore board I wouldn't post result there(I say cheeater rezult, I have UV score 161000), but I've always thought - Cheating is created not for wininng the game, it's for having real FUN!
And I've posted here because I've looking on what do LostSouls are looking at.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All