Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 00:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trying to plan further a UV run  (Read 2909 times)

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Trying to plan further a UV run
« on: December 19, 2008, 00:16 »

Hello, all,
I finally started a relatively successful (so far) Ultra-Violence game, with TaN(2), SoB(2) and EE(2).  I have Grammaton Cleric Beretta in my possession, along with chaingun and plasma rifle, but no rocket launcher.  So now I'm trying to plan my further development.  Here are some of the ideas for the next few levels:
1) Cat(2)->IM(2) or HR(2) - for shooting from afar and surviving those who do come close;
2) Cat(2)->SoG(2) - use Beretta in single shot mode and hope for enough knockback to keep them at bay.  This worked for me with a blaster in an AoP game (see my Post-Mortem from Dec 9, 2008) even without SoB, and Beretta is stronger than Blaster in single shot.  However, Blaster fires quicker and does not need reloading, so it's not a fully fair comparison.  On the other hand, enhanced tactical capabilities with Beretta are impressive;
3) TH(2)->Cat(2) - to maximize damage-dealing with chaingun and semi-auto/auto modes of Beretta.  Will need a couple of levels in Reloader, though...
Any other ideas?  I'm trying to finish UV (one of the requirements for Colonel, plus would be a HUGE ego booster!).  Which levels to skip and which to pick?  I still don't have a rocket launcher (did not dare to fight Barons on the Arena), but hope to find it before the Wall...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Zarin.

EDIT: (correction) the game with the Blaster was AoP/HNTR rather than HMP.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:06 by Zarin »

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Trying to plan further a UV run
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 01:47 »

Hmm, I think it would be cool to have a "during-game" character report for such situations...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:06 »

I think I would go for Cateye and Hellrunner now.

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:46 »

OK, progress report as requested (well... hinted at) by Kornel:

I've had a really hairy moment at dungeon level 11 with an Arch-Vile (still unseen by me) resurrecting a Revenant who promptly put me at 8% health.  I phased away (luckily where there were no monsters around) and healed.  By then I had Cat(1) so eventually I killed both with damage-modified plasma rifle (AV stood behind a stream of lava and never moved towards me) and healed with a handly invincibility (IDDQD?) globe, which permitted me to stroll across lava collecting all the 10-mm ammo and unloading all the extra plasma rifles dropped by the resurrected captains and commandos.

Since then, I added Cat(2) and HR.  Cleared the Wall getting hit only once in the process.  Those two Arch-Viles fell from the splash damage of my trusty rocket launcher.  The rest was relatively easy - I ran out of rockets, but plasma rifle again came to the rescue.  I restocked on medical supplies in the next cavernous level (with Arachnotrons) and the open one with four pillars in the middle and four stairs in the corners.  Cat(2) worked wonders in both :).

I saved (to catch my breath) on top of Halls of Carnage.  Wish me luck!

Zarin.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 16:26 »

Hmm, I think it would be cool to have a "during-game" character report for such situations...

with all the goodies, steps taken, enemies fragged, turns spent invincible/berserk, damage taken/dealt, etc. not necessarily the whole mortem.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 17:14 by Visalos »
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 07:26 »

Well, if you head over to http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=1778.0, you'll see the YAVP post about this game.

Anyway, briefly about the rest of the game:

Halls of Carnage - I successfully retrieved the BFG and restocked on rockets - they helped a lot against Arch-viles down the road.

Traits - added one HR, maxed out TaN (I had way too few red armors so it was really necessary), maxed SoB, added two SoG and switched to Beretta.  I killed several Mancubi and at least one Arch-Vile with Beretta single-shot mode, knocking them back as intended :).  Semi-auto on Beretta was good enough to kill most other enemies in two-three shots and it always knocked them back - so yes, SoG with Beretta makes a lot of sense.  Fortunately, UV gives enough experience to be able to try more traits than usual.

Deeper levels - many Arch-Viles (and when they start raising 4-5 Mancubi around you, beware!), bigger groups of Barons and various former marines (including commandos), more Mancubi and Revenants.  Fewer lost souls and pain elementals, though.  Ran out of rockets several times - they can save your ass against Arch-Viles withing big teams of lesser evils...

Off to new challenges (and Colonel rank)!

Regards,
    Zarin.
Pages: [1]