Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 01:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weapon ideas  (Read 4312 times)

Ischaldirh

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Weapon ideas
« on: December 07, 2008, 23:29 »

At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical newbie I figured I'd share my ideas for items.

Super Shotgun. Unique, basically the next-step-up from the double shotgun. I'm thinking it would work either identically to the SSG (only bigger) or be a sorta blend between the SSG and the combat shotty -- a 6 round mag fired 2 at a time with pump-action reloading.

Hunting Rifle. Not sure if it should be unique or not; either way, it'd have a 1 round clip, a very slow fire rate, moderate reload rate, be very accurate (with accuracy degrading as they get closer) and deal lots of damage. 10mm ammo.

Mini-rocket Launcher. Unique (or not?), fires rockets that deal half damage of a normal one with a reduced blast radius, but has a moderate-sized clip and fires the rockets very quickly (perhaps even in a burst). Slow reload.

Modulous Blade. This may or may not be pointless. I don't know if melee weapons can have mods applied to them or not; if they can't, I'm thinking this would be a weak-ish melee weapon that could have accuracy, damage, and speed mods applied to it as if it were an advanced weapon.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 03:44 »

Super Shotgun. Unique, basically the next-step-up from the double shotgun. I'm thinking it would work either identically to the SSG (only bigger) or be a sorta blend between the SSG and the combat shotty -- a 6 round mag fired 2 at a time with pump-action reloading.

I like that idea... It'd have to be a unique though as it sounds very powerful... I suppose some might argue that we already have a weapon somewhat like that (the Pancor Jackhammer), but perhaps someone with more shotgun knowledge than me should take a look at this one...

Hunting Rifle. Not sure if it should be unique or not; either way, it'd have a 1 round clip, a very slow fire rate, moderate reload rate, be very accurate (with accuracy degrading as they get closer) and deal lots of damage. 10mm ammo.

Whilst I think this could fill an interesting niche (as it is, all the weapons more or less fall under the broad categories of melee, chaingun, rocket launcher or shotgun types (pistols don't count because any dualgunner build worth its salt does the same thing as a chaingun build, that is to say, it pumps out large amounts of 10mm ammo in a short space of time), with no powerful single shot non-blast radius "sniper rifle" style weapon), I get the distinct feeling it's low ammo use would be unbalanced, unless perhaps it used multiple rounds of amunition to fire a single bullet (but then that's more or less just the chaingun in a different outfit)...

Mini-rocket Launcher. Unique (or not?), fires rockets that deal half damage of a normal one with a reduced blast radius, but has a moderate-sized clip and fires the rockets very quickly (perhaps even in a burst). Slow reload.

Interesting, though the scarceness of rockets and the fact that you can't carry very many might negate this weapon's potential somewhat...

Modulous Blade. This may or may not be pointless. I don't know if melee weapons can have mods applied to them or not; if they can't, I'm thinking this would be a weak-ish melee weapon that could have accuracy, damage, and speed mods applied to it as if it were an advanced weapon.

Meh... doesn't excite me really, but perhaps people with more AoB experience could give a more educated opinion on this one...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:05 by Captain Trek »

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 18:47 »

I like that idea... It'd have to be a unique though as it sounds very powerful... I suppose some might argue that we already have a weapon somewhat like that (the Pancor Jackhammer), but perhaps someone with more shotgun knowledge than me should take a look at this one...

Meh... doesn't excite me really, but perhaps people with more AoB experience could give a more educated opinion on this one...

As the guy who does this kind of silly stuff, I can say that:
1. The pancor jackhammer is pretty much what that guy just said. It holds 9 shells and fires 3 at a time, and it's rediculously powerful.
2. Modulous Blade wouldn't work. You'd swap it out for the LS (Assuming you got it before level 16 to begin with) and never use it again. What WOULD work is making the chainsaw moddable like any other weapon, but I doubt that's going to happen.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Ischaldirh

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 14:31 »

On the SSG idea... I guess I didn't really know how the assault shotgun worked as I've never used it. The wiki isn't very clear on the topic either, all I gathered from it was that the gun worked more or less like an assault shotgun you didn't have to pump.

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 14:38 »

For my own weapon ideas, I give you these:

Tri-Barrel Shotgun: (This does exist in reality, I think.)  Very much a unique weapon.  Instead of having x3 modifier, it has a nicely increased x4 or x5 modifier.  However, it also takes 1.5x the time to reload as the regular Double Shotgun.

Mining Blast Cannon: (Unique Weapon.)  Uses Energy Cells, when fired, sends a short-ranged yet extremely powerful energy shockwave in kind of this pattern.  The rationale I used for this kind of weapon to be in a UAC base is simple: They had to have some kind of effective mining operation going on, or else they'd be completely helpless without transports.
   X
@X X
   X

The Shovel: (Unique Weapon) Oh, now you'll really get going.  This weapon hits for less damage than the chainsaw, more than the Combat Knife, but when you hit with it, the enemy is stunned for 2 turns.  I know of nothing that wouldn't be stunned by being smacked on the head with a shovel.  Could inspire "Angel of Shovel" challenge, where you must beat the game ONLY using a shovel and a Nuke at the end.

Flamethrower: (Unique or not, Developer's Choice.)  To make the flamethrower easier, I hope, to code, it will have a range of 5 squares, and go in a straight line.  Each shot with the flamethrower hits for the same amount of damage as Lava, and it takes Energy Cells to operate.  It fires very quickly, obviously, since it's a continuous stream.  Eats cells like candy.

Mancubus Arm: (Unique) Fires 3 Mancubus Fireballs, with their respective advantages and disadvantages.  Eats rockets like candy.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 00:51 »

Tri-Barrel Shotgun: (This does exist in reality, I think.)  Very much a unique weapon.  Instead of having x3 modifier, it has a nicely increased x4 or x5 modifier.  However, it also takes 1.5x the time to reload as the regular Double Shotgun.

Yawn much?

Mining Blast Cannon: (Unique Weapon.)  Uses Energy Cells, when fired, sends a short-ranged yet extremely powerful energy shockwave in kind of this pattern.  The rationale I used for this kind of weapon to be in a UAC base is simple: They had to have some kind of effective mining operation going on, or else they'd be completely helpless without transports.

You might be able to make that into a kind of energy cell based shotgun... In fact, you'd pretty much have to or else people who might use it would just use the double shotgun (much better range) to do the same job...

The Shovel: (Unique Weapon) Oh, now you'll really get going.  This weapon hits for less damage than the chainsaw, more than the Combat Knife, but when you hit with it, the enemy is stunned for 2 turns.  I know of nothing that wouldn't be stunned by being smacked on the head with a shovel.  Could inspire "Angel of Shovel" challenge, where you must beat the game ONLY using a shovel and a Nuke at the end.

I suppose it might make AoB a little easier... Stun an enemy them swap to your main melee weapon and pulverise him... Keep in mind, however, that even moving one space is technically ten turns (there are ten turns to a second)...

Flamethrower: (Unique or not, Developer's Choice.)  To make the flamethrower easier, I hope, to code, it will have a range of 5 squares, and go in a straight line.  Each shot with the flamethrower hits for the same amount of damage as Lava, and it takes Energy Cells to operate.  It fires very quickly, obviously, since it's a continuous stream.  Eats cells like candy.

I think that'd be pretty easy to code... Just use the shotgun formula and give it a spread of 5x1 with no damage reduction over range... For graphical effects, just use the same ones as are used for rocket and barrel explosions currently... I certainly think it should be unique and maybe it should have a secondary reload (press "R", as you currently do to reload both pistols when you have dualgunner or to switch to semi-auto or atuo on the Cleric Beretta) where it does less damage but spreads over a wider area (5x3 maybe)...

Mancubus Arm: (Unique) Fires 3 Mancubus Fireballs, with their respective advantages and disadvantages.  Eats rockets like candy.

Not useful enough to warrant the aforementioned eating of rockets IMO...

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:30 »

The Tri-Barrel Shotgun, I realize, is fairly uninspired.

The Mining Blast Cannon does one thing that a DBS can't do, which I kinda forgot to add: It blows up walls.

I have no real grasp of turns, so 2 turns probably isn't enough for the Shovel, I don't know.  X.x

And, inspired by Hellboy last night, I present....

The Good Samaritan:

Rather than following the traditional pattern of pistols being a quick-shooting dinky peashooter except for the Trigun, this gun is mean.  4 shots limit the clip an awful lot, but it does a TON of damage up front (Thinking 2d10 or 2d12).  Balancing off the high damage of the pistol is the low clip, the slow firing rate, and the slow reload time compared to other guns.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 18:46 »

The Good Samaritan:

Rather than following the traditional pattern of pistols being a quick-shooting dinky peashooter except for the Trigun, this gun is mean.  4 shots limit the clip an awful lot, but it does a TON of damage up front (Thinking 2d10 or 2d12).  Balancing off the high damage of the pistol is the low clip, the slow firing rate, and the slow reload time compared to other guns.

Actually, we already have four pistol uniques...

http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Anti-Freak_Jackal
http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Blaster
http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Grammaton_Cleric_Beretta
http://doom.chaosforge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Trigun

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 19:53 »

I know.  I'm suggesting a lot of weapons, and I never said that we had few pistols.  I just said that the stereotype of the pistol is a weak dinky peashooter.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 22:55 »

Have you looked at the Unique pistols?
They... aren't.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 01:57 »

You need fuel for flamethower, not the energy cells or whatever...

As for shovel, I don't think it should be possible to stun mindless creatures (former humans).

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 19:08 »

You need fuel for flamethower, not the energy cells or whatever...

As for shovel, I don't think it should be possible to stun mindless creatures (former humans).

I'm working with what is already present within the system.

Adding Fuel, and all the dynamics involved in that, would be far more of a pain than, say, just having Energy Cells power the Flamethrower.

Also note: This game isn't realistic.  Doom has NEVER been realistic, EVER.  Saying that realistically a mindless creature can't be stunned by a shovel over the head in the Doom Universe is completely nonsensical, because Doom ain't real.

Also, in the real Doom game, Former Humans would INDEED get stunned if you shot them, especially Former Human Commandos, who you pretty much needed to shoot to stop their weathering rain of chaingun fire.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 02:36 »

This wasn't stun, they simply cannot aim when you were putting bullets into them.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 10:33 »

The Tri-Barrel Shotgun, I realize, is fairly uninspired.

The Mining Blast Cannon does one thing that a DBS can't do, which I kinda forgot to add: It blows up walls.

I have no real grasp of turns, so 2 turns probably isn't enough for the Shovel, I don't know.  X.x

And, inspired by Hellboy last night, I present....

The Good Samaritan:

don't forget crap accuracy.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.
Pages: [1]