Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 19:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Levers! and, um...Cover Mechanics!  (Read 4394 times)

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
Levers! and, um...Cover Mechanics!
« on: December 12, 2008, 11:03 »

There are already levers that flood a whole level with lava/acid/water, and the less suicidal of us will heed the warning messages and LEAVE ALL LEVERS ON SUCH A LEVEL ALONE, but wouldn't it be a little more doomish if there were levers that only flooded a single room? or perhaps random squares throughout the level? no warning message required for those, i wouldn't think.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 15:15 by Visalos »
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
Re: Levers!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:42 »

There's already levels that flood only one room, the one you're standing in, just FYI.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 15:35 »

I've found that (on ITYTD and HNTR at least) the levers that flood the entire level with acid/lava are incredibly rare anyway... I believe I've seen the "in the state of Denmark..." message only one and the "that gasoline smell? Oh hell..." one once as well... On neither occasion did I pull the lever in question...

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 16:00 »

There's already levels that flood only one room, the one you're standing in, just FYI.

Voyeurism is undoomish, Tom.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 16:03 by Visalos »
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 10:05 »

XD
Took me a while to figure it out... :)

Anyway, in the past I suggested that there would be 2-3 different classes of levers, each with different beneficial, neutral and dangerous effects. That way you could gamble safely on lower tier levers even without ranks in Intuition. Right now levers are most often not worthwhile past the early stages of the game, which wastes them as a feature.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 00:38 »

XD
Took me a while to figure it out... :)

Umm... I must be missing something... :|

Anyway, in the past I suggested that there would be 2-3 different classes of levers, each with different beneficial, neutral and dangerous effects. That way you could gamble safely on lower tier levers even without ranks in Intuition. Right now levers are most often not worthwhile past the early stages of the game, which wastes them as a feature.

*Nods* I think this'd be a good idea... :)

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 14:28 »

oh yeah, and forget i said anything, there are indeed single-room-death levers. stupid me.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 15:41 »

The way to fix levers is to put Int behind something every build can use instead of EE. I think Iro would be best since, useful as it is, it is of itself the weakest of the traits, and it makes more sense to me anyway, considering it's a survivability trait.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 22:15 »

Ironman, weakest of the traits?
Reaaaaaaaaaaally? I'd have to disagree with you heavily on that one. I'd give that to probably reloader or finesse. Both have their uses (Unlocking Shottyman and in AoMr games), but...

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 01:54 »

Reloading is slow as mud for CG/PR, and you generally have to use D/M mods on either of those to really use them well. There are also several uniques it comes in handy for.

Finesse is excellent for any build, it's just that it's hard to pack in between whatever you need for damage, EE, and TaN. Speed is alot more important than you realize. Aside from that, if you're having trouble finding any good stuff, Whizkid is essential.

Ironman is good, and whenever you've got a level to spare you want one for later on when you've got good armor, but most of the time it's just not an option compared to everything else you need in your build.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 09:48 »

If you're reloading in the middle of a fight without ducking for cover, *especially* with a chaingun or plasma rifle, you're really doing it wrong. And speed is important, but shaving 1/10th of your turn time off isn't very helpful. It only tends to make you equal to most monsters anyway, not faster than.

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 16:56 »

Cover isn't always available. When it is, it's not necessarily going to save you: if the things are right around the corner, they're probably just going to round it and mack you in the face a couple times while you're feeding your gun.

Finesse is one of those that you need two levels of to get much use out of yes, but you want two levels anyway, because you need whizkid if you can pack it in.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 19:28 »

Cover isn't always available, but it should be able to be used in the majority of situations. Unless you head down a stairs and you're in the middle of an arena or a cluster of monsters, you should be able to find cover.

And, saying Finesse is useful only because it takes 2+ levels and unlocks WK isn't very fair. 2 levels of Ironman is enough HP to tank a good number of extra attacks, after all.
Pages: [1]