Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 02:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Weapon Mod: Tracer Shots  (Read 2351 times)

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
Weapon Mod: Tracer Shots
« on: December 15, 2008, 19:18 »

The Blind-Firer's friend.  This mod makes every shot shot by a player map out the parts of the map where the bullet goes.  Say there is a long corridor that you want to know if there's anything worthwhile down it afore you plunge in.  You just shoot your pistol with the Tracer Mod, and the map is revealed along the path of the bullet.

I don't know how hard this would be to code, or even if you people like it, but hey.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Mod: Tracer Shots
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 00:38 »

Excellent idea. Implement it as a unique AoE weapon called the flare gun that shoots shotgun shells (Or rockets? Rockets would be a bit too rare though.) and has a 1 radius splash that doesn't destroy walls or items. Does very little damage and has the special abilities of the tracer mod described above.

Its sight radius is 1 while flying and 2 when it explodes. You get a free action looking at the revealed tiles (Message: "Ah, that cleared things up a bit. -MORE-"). And then you press enter or space to make them dark again and continue with play.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:36 »

Excellent idea. Implement it as a unique AoE weapon called the flare gun that shoots shotgun shells (Or rockets? Rockets would be a bit too rare though.) and has a 1 radius splash that doesn't destroy walls or items. Does very little damage and has the special abilities of the tracer mod described above.

Its sight radius is 1 while flying and 2 when it explodes. You get a free action looking at the revealed tiles (Message: "Ah, that cleared things up a bit. -MORE-"). And then you press enter or space to make them dark again and continue with play.

OK, I reckon we have a definite winner here... I think that it should use shotgun shells (real flare guns tend to be 12 gauge anyway)... One might consider that the "low ammo useage" of the flare gun could be unbalancing, even when it does "very little damage", but when you consider how little ammo regular shotguns in the game (particularly when weilded by a skilled shotgun using player) use anyway, I doubt that could be the case... All we'd have to do then would be to figure out wether Angels of Berserk could be allowed to fire them or not (perhaps they could be allowed to, but have the flare deal no damage and only have its revealing effect)...

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:13 »

OK, I reckon we have a definite winner here... I think that it should use shotgun shells (real flare guns tend to be 12 gauge anyway)... One might consider that the "low ammo useage" of the flare gun could be unbalancing, even when it does "very little damage", but when you consider how little ammo regular shotguns in the game (particularly when weilded by a skilled shotgun using player) use anyway, I doubt that could be the case... All we'd have to do then would be to figure out wether Angels of Berserk could be allowed to fire them or not (perhaps they could be allowed to, but have the flare deal no damage and only have its revealing effect)...

no flare gun for our berserking angels. AoM though, natch. it would be an interesting addition; very useful at times, but time-consuming. and yes, definitely shotgun shells. make it single shot with a slow reload?
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.
Pages: [1]