Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Armor Mod: Armor Regeneration  (Read 7323 times)

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
Armor Mod: Armor Regeneration
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:33 »

It's a new armor mod.  It allows armor to regenerate much like Malek's Armor, BUUUUUT.

Instead of one point per step, it would be one point per two steps, to ensure the continued dominance of Malek's Armor in regenerationness.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Armor Mod: Armor Regeneration
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:37 »

Nah... Sounds way too strong to me... Imagine, a player has the modded armor then kills all enemies on the map, then he just stands somewhere and holds the wait button until it's fully regenerated and voila! Completely as new! No matter how many steps you need to regenerate it...
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

LockeCarnelia

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • No Rest For The Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 13:52 »

Could be a unique Armor Mod.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 16:18 »

Grow a set and pull a lever.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:47 »

Yeah, something this powerful really means it should be a Unique.

Though, I do have to say, IMO the Necroarmor is the best armor in the game by a long shot. It just requires a lot more management to be good. As, really, HP restoring powerups show up often enough to let it recharge entirely.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 13:50 »

there's already two armors that regenerate durability; one of them just happens to feed on blood, though, as rekenne said, it's still worth it.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:23 »

Unique mods might be a nice idea, actually.

incidentally, this regen idea might work better if you keyed the regen to something other than time passing. +1% per kill, or +1% per second for five seconds, starting after it is damaged by an attack.

Anarchic Fox

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 06:01 »

I concur that unique mods, and for that matter unique consumables in general, are a good idea.  Other possibilities for artifact items:

A portal supercharge, usable like a medkit.
Ultraportable nuke.  Can be dropped down a staircase to clear out the level before you enter it, with obvious applications.
Nuclear mod.  Turns a plasma rifle or BFG into the nuclear equivalent.
Armor total upgrade mod.  Adds all three mods to an armor, regardless of Whizkid.
Weapon total upgrade mod.  Adds four random mods to a regular weapon, or twelve random mods to an advanced weapon, regardless of Whizkid.
Rapid fabricator.  Generates huge stacks of every kind of ammunition, enough of any given type to fill even a backpack, around the player.

All of these would be destroyed on use, of course.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 06:18 »

I concur that unique mods, and for that matter unique consumables in general, are a good idea.  Other possibilities for artifact items:

(...)

All of these would be destroyed on use, of course.
A unique item should be permanent, IMO.

Anarchic Fox

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 06:34 »

A unique item should be permanent, IMO.

Sometimes, yes, but the defining trait is sheer power.  Note that ten of the twenty-five uniques are already destroyable: the armors, the boots, and the two nuclear weapons.  (I assume: I've never reduced an artifact armor or boot to zero durability.)  Also, plenty of other roguelikes have one-use uniques, though those roguelikes tend to be not much like DoomRL.

Oh yeah, and another possible consumable unique: the blood-spattered datacard.  Contains the last records of the only other marine to make it this deep.  Grants an instant level-up.

Edit for new idea.  Extradimensional satchel: a backpack that increases ammo stacks to 200% of their normal value, and allows small stacks of phase devices, medkits and environmental suits.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:14 by Anarchic Fox »

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 14:45 »

I don't want these marginally useful toys, gadgets, and chinese shovelware standing between me and my Railgun in the eyes of the RNG.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 14:49 »

Although...the total upgrade mod for armor is good enough to stand with the big boys, and the blood-spattered datacard could make up for the shameful lack of megaspheres. the other ones are just silly.

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 14:54 »

The backpack is unique enough as is. Something more than twice as good as the backpack that could spawn would be a bit... odd.

Anarchic Fox

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 16:24 »

I don't want these marginally useful toys, gadgets, and chinese shovelware standing between me and my Railgun in the eyes of the RNG.

For you, is the issue the fact that they're one-use or the fact that the suggestions are too weak? 

The backpack is unique enough as is. Something more than twice as good as the backpack that could spawn would be a bit... odd.

I did have Ao100 in mind.  Maybe for the purposes of that challenge the backpack should be considered an artifact.  Also, my original suggestion was overpowered.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28 »

For you, is the issue the fact that they're one-use or the fact that the suggestions are too weak? 

my issue is that these items will be competing with weapons and armor for the RNG's attention. Though they're not really bad ideas(except for the one that turns a plazzie or BFG into its unique counterpart), well...i'm running out of argument. I'd still rather have a railgun. wait a minute...wouldn't need to make a special thermie at all, really. if you're willing to use your (most likely) only nuke on a given level just before you run down the stairs, giving up on all the loot on that level(because you wouldn't use the nuke this way unless you were totally outmatched or just in a damn hurry), i think it would be ok to get the experience for all those kills. it's sort of a fair trade. maybe half xp.
Pages: [1] 2  All