Chaosforge Forum

• April 16, 2024, 03:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: AoB improvement discussion  (Read 20116 times)

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: AoB improvement discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20 »

Didn't Large Health Packs used to act as portable Berserk Packs? I think that would definitely make AoB more managable.

Also, giving the main character an unconditional 95% to-hit in melee would definitely be helpful. But I don't know if that would be slightly unbalanced.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 15:13 »

It was Large Health Globes, and i get the feeling they made AoB way too easy.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 15:43 »

Both large med-packs AND large health globes used to give the player berserk status in AoB -- that's my recollection.  Large med-packs giving berserk was extremely powerful; large health globes not so much (they're not that common anyway).

...i've noticed that luck is too big a factor in at least the early levels of AoB.

Yes.  This is probably true for other challenges as well (nightmare AoI?).  It's annoying, but not nearly as annoying as luck playing too much of a role later in the game.

The second idea is a guaranteed berserk state at the beginning of each level(no free heal, though) This, I feel, would fix everything. EVERYTHING.

I think this would make AoB too easy.  Maybe if it didn't last as long as a normal berserk pack.  Doesn't seem too necessary though.  AoB SHOULD be really hard.

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 00:37 »

AoB SHOULD be really hard.

Debatable. given AoB's relative position in the overall mode unlock scheme.
A truly hard mode should be like Ao100 or AoMs - unlocked late, and not required for anything except high-end ranks.
Something that is unlocked as early, and that is required for as many things as AoB should be moderately hard.
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 02:16 »

Large med-packs giving berserk was extremely powerful; large health globes not so much (they're not that common anyway).
I agree.

AoB SHOULD be really hard.
Just STFU, ok =) ?

Something that is unlocked as early, and that is required for as many things as AoB should be moderately hard.
And thats why it is listed as a medium difficulty challenge.

The second idea is a guaranteed berserk state at the beginning of each level(no free heal, though) This, I feel, would fix everything. EVERYTHING.
Not bad, but I would also add this:

Allow mods to be applied to all melee weapons.

Kornel, seriously - make this challenge a bit pleasurable, not a damn AoCGDAaCR (Angel of Careful Gift-Dropping Ambushes and Calculated Risks).

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 05:11 »

Applying weapon mods to melee weapons would make no sense. And besides that, AoB relies entirely on unique weapons, which can't be modded anyway.

What about revamping the Berserker trait to more closely resemble the system in Berserk!, where your chance to berserk is affected by dealing and receiving damage, with the chance of raging out increasing the closer you are to death?

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 07:11 »

Applying weapon mods to melee weapons would make no sense. And besides that, AoB relies entirely on unique weapons, which can't be modded anyway.

What about revamping the Berserker trait to more closely resemble the system in Berserk!, where your chance to berserk is affected by dealing and receiving damage, with the chance of raging out increasing the closer you are to death?

Now THIS is a good idea. One of the things I love about high-level DoomRL play is the fact that you want as little HP as possible without dying (Because if you use a medpack then find a full-heal powerup, you'd look like an idiot, wouldn't you?) and this would encourage such risky behavior.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 14:20 »

Why not ?

The fact that AoB relies on certain weapons does not make it sound better.
Give people the choice: mod your basic weapon, or walk with unmodded unique.

I do not find Spear of somecrap Doomish. I find chainsaw Doomish.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 18:29 »

How do you make a dagger faster, or more accurate?

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 00:47 »

Why not ?

The fact that AoB relies on certain weapons does not make it sound better.
Give people the choice: mod your basic weapon, or walk with unmodded unique.

I do not find Spear of somecrap Doomish. I find chainsaw Doomish.

Oh yeah? Well the Longinus Spear is a direct reference to the Wolfenstien series (and Christian mythology, I guess), so there.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 01:49 »

Hollowed and reinforced hilts reduce overall weight, thus adding speed.
Gyro balancers in the guard (or quillon) reduce stupid flailing, thus increasing chance to hit.
Blood channels (cannelures) on either side of the blade allow greater depth of stabbing, thus more damage.
Skulls painted on the side of the hilt allow you to fit more energy cells into your Turboslicer 1000, though no-one really knows how.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 04:41 »

Oh yeah? Well the Longinus Spear is a direct reference to the Wolfenstien series (and Christian mythology, I guess), so there.
Wolfenstein != Doom

I would agree that Indiana Jones theme is similiar to Wolfenstein / Spear of Destiny games theme, somehow.
But please, not Doom.

I would really like to use other weapons to finish the game.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 05:39 »

Hollowed and reinforced hilts reduce overall weight, thus adding speed.
Gyro balancers in the guard (or quillon) reduce stupid flailing, thus increasing chance to hit.
Blood channels (cannelures) on either side of the blade allow greater depth of stabbing, thus more damage.
Skulls painted on the side of the hilt allow you to fit more energy cells into your Turboslicer 1000, though no-one really knows how.

Oh, well then.

I like the idea of that last bit. It'd be interesting to have a non-unique melee weapon that uses ammunition, like the Ripper or a shotgun glove or something. It'd add a bit more variety to melee characters for certain.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 05:41 by Frankosity »

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 07:31 »

It'd be interesting to have a non-unique melee weapon that uses ammunition, like the Ripper or a shotgun glove or something. It'd add a bit more variety to melee characters for certain.

Things like an electric powered chainblade are feasible. The "Doomishness" of such a thing is debatable. But on the other hand, if a chainsaw has enough petrol in the tank to run it for the 20ish levels you'll have it, then why wouldn't a single 9V battery work in a chainblade?

Combining the two possibilities, though: Chainsaw Mods! If an AoB clears the Chained Court, then ~5 levels later you come along a new red staircase, which will contain 1-2 chainsaw mods, which require ammunition as their raw power.

Possibilities include:
Electric Turbo Motor - increased chain speed! (weapon damage, requires cells)
Gunpowder Extractor - carefully timed explosions! (weapon speed, requires bullets)
Shotgun Booster - harness the knockback power! (movement speed, requires shells)

Depending on how you want to work "balance", either you could only use one mod EVER, or you can apply two mods, but only have one supply of ammo loaded. The chainsaw then has a clip (of varying size, perhaps clip size mods can then be applied with Whiz Kid?) which one loaded will be depleted with use. In the case of speed or damage, every attack (even if it's a miss) will use up ammo. And in the case of movement speed, every move will use up ammo. Perhaps every second move if you're running.

Thoughts?
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 11:55 »

More variety = more fun.

Ripper would be ok, same for other weapons / other kinds of chainsaws.
Maybe unique chainsaws ?

I would like such set :) :
http://gorillaartfare.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/chainsaw_girl_lo1.jpg

And if someone does not like chainsaws, he could mod his knife or use Power Fists:
http://www.sghi.info/GL/img/Post.Nuclear.PC.Games/Fallout.3_concept.art/8-09.23_Power.fist_concept.art.jpg
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All