Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 10:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Freeze with music skipping, unrecoverable...  (Read 3139 times)

Stabwound

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Freeze with music skipping, unrecoverable...
« on: December 31, 2008, 18:54 »

So, I was down to Phobos Hell 3, and as soon as I went down the stairs it loaded the next level, but the music was skipping and playing the same 1/4 second of audio over and over and everything else was locked up. The cursor under the @ was still blinking, but no buttons would do anything. I had to just close the game manually and my character was lost.

Anyone ever experience this? I'm using the mp3 pack as well, btw.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
Re: Freeze with music skipping, unrecoverable...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 21:45 »

mine's had that glitch and others, like the volume dropping to almost nothing then coming back, distorted/missing sounds, the skipping, etc. *is not using the mp3 soundtrack*
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Stabwound

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:32 »

Well, it happened again in almost the same spot. I give up.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:10 »

I'm powerless against such errors... :/. However, that makes me inclined to try out OpenAL instead of SDL...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 14:10 »

:( but if it makes you feel better, kornel, it's not a 100% fatal train wreck kinda glitch, in fact, the enemy noises and shots work just fine. it's the music and the player's guns that are messed up. for me, anyway. maybe that helps?
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Stabwound

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 15:17 »

It is actually a "trainwreck" sort of bug, because it ruins my game when it happens: the game totally locks up and I have to ctrl+alt+delete, which loses my character/game. I can't tell exactly what the problem is either, I'm not sure if it's the audio that messes up or if the game is just freezing which makes the audio sample keep playing, because there's no error message or anything. It only happens right as I enter a new level, though.

I actually had this same problem a few years ago when I first tried DoomRL which made me give up, heh. =\

Searching through the forum here I saw one or two other people that had the same issue over the last few years, so I suppose it's not exactly a common bug. I could try without music, but to be honest, having the DOOM music makes it about 100x more fun, heh.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 15:25 by Stabwound »

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 15:05 »

yeah, turns out my problem was just crappy headphones >_< forget i said anything.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 20:25 »

I'll try to switch to OpenAL and we'll see if that bug will still be around. Or SDL 1.3?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]