Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 01:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Balance and Doomishness] A couple of N! changes:  (Read 2692 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
[Balance and Doomishness] A couple of N! changes:
« on: January 02, 2009, 04:22 »

1. Balance
I'm not sure, but I think I saw a Cacodemon in Hell's Arena auto-respawn on Nightmare!. Because the randomised respawn timer can return a value as low as 2.0 seconds this can render "You have to kill everything" levels like Hell's Arena and The Mort completely unwinable unless you're VERY persistant or reasonably lucky.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid and the cacodemon didn't actually respawn. I wasn't paying enough attention.

2. Balance

Oh here's a good one, Thomas thinks Nightmare might be a little bit too easy.

Well, it applys to Arch-Viles too, but the point is that when monsters respawn, they get all their goodies back. Even if you get no XP, it doesn't take a Blade to farm captains and get all the ammo you'll ever need for 10 dungeon levels.

As such, I suggest that respawned monsters should get no items, unless they need them (Mancubi and Revenants don't, for example). If they DO need the items, they should only get half of them back for each respawn (So half, then a quarter, then an eighth...)

3. Doomishness (A word I just made up!)
In Doom I (And Doom II iirc) it was actually possible to get more than 100% kills in Nightmare provided you were skilled enough to kill more monsters than had initially spawned. I believe this is not the case in DoomRL, and I would personally like to be able to get MORE than 100% kills in Nightmare to both keep a better track of exactly how many monsters you killed AND to add sillier messages for skilled players ("He just wasn't satisfied with killing them once." or "This ass-kicking marine killed them all TWICE!" for 200%+)

Of course, revived monsters will still not give XP, just increase your tally.

EDIT: It turns out that the game DOES tally revived monster kills, but it doesn't include them in the percentage (So you might get something like 648 kills out of 1087 = 59% which is obviously off by around 6%)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:46 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

myuzinn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: [Balance and Doomishness] A couple of N! changes:
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:50 »

Yeh I had some ideas regarding N! resurrection. Note that these ideas are intended to be mutually exclusive (not all implemented together).

1) All monsters on the map regenerate their health slowly, both while alive and dead. This means that when monsters rise, they rise at "almost dead" status, but keep healing if the player doesn't deal with them again.

2) Individual corpses can't be resurrected until it's been dead for at least some period of time.

3) Monsters only start getting randomly resurrected on a level once the time spent on the level has passed a certain amount. This means that things only start to get insane if the player dawdles too much, sort of like that Red Alert challenge.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 13:11 »

3)Hey, Thomas, you don't know anything about the Doom PROGRAMM implementing of N! Doom(2) do not really respawn monsters, it creates new, simular and on the same place they was. This make useless your idea of overkill id Doom 1 or 2. If you want overkill - go for last level of Doom2 and stay as long as possible - you'll get 10000%+ percent.
1) I saw that Cacodemon too. That voice said me: "You won blablabla" while I was fighting my way to my reward through the monsters. On the mortuary it's really suicide. I did clear it ALL with the nuke and that wasn't enough - that damn bodies were still in place - and again and again and...  Mortuary is impossible to win on N! practicaly, only theoretically you could kill all of them in 1 place and then kill the 1 left, but you understand.
2) I think they should not have any ammo at all.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 18:38 »

ZZ ad.2 Mortuary) I bet that if Blade didn't do that already, he'll do it some day ;)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:29 »

I'm the theoretical tester of such crazy ideas, Blade is practical. I tried to clean the Mort. on the N! and it's really impossible without killing all the monster on one place. If not, you are surrounded by an horde of monsters, where Archs do not play any role. They respawn and respawn., even with BFG.(which I was usig with endless ammo)
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Anarchic Fox

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 02:18 »

Yeh I had some ideas regarding N! resurrection. Note that these ideas are intended to be mutually exclusive (not all implemented together).

1) All monsters on the map regenerate their health slowly, both while alive and dead. This means that when monsters rise, they rise at "almost dead" status, but keep healing if the player doesn't deal with them again.

I think that's a good idea, provided it's coupled with the declining (or easier yet, disappearing) ammo drops mentioned earlier.

Also, it doesn't seem right to me that resurrected monsters give no experience.  How about making them give exponentially decreasing experience instead?  That is, you get a third the experience on the second kill, a ninth on the third... If this is combined with decreasing ammo, corpse farming still wouldn't be viable, but arch-viles and Nightmare mode would be less unfair.

Finally, how about an effect kicking in every two hundred rounds or so, which acts as though a summoning lever had been pulled?  That would certainly add difficulty...
Pages: [1]