Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rocketman trait!  (Read 4167 times)

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Rocketman trait!
« on: January 02, 2009, 13:03 »

This is a bit of a joke idea, but I was thinking about what a rocket build trait could be, and came up with 2 ideas.
First would be a trait that would reduce and possibly with enough ranks remove splash damage from your own rockets. Then, that would unlock a second trait.... THE ROCKET JUMP! I'm sure most of you have played Quake 3 and done enough rocket jumping. It would let you fire on yourself and whenever you get hit by your own rocket's splash damage you can jump to any space in the splash and one beyond. So, if the splash was

O
 OXO
OXXXO
 OXO
  O

The Xs being damage and the Os being the max range of where you could move. Of course, rocket damage is bigger than that, but I didn't want to draw all of that out.

I doubt the usefulness of this, though. The removal of splash damage would be pretty nice, but rocket jumping? Not so much. Could be unlocked by TaN 2 or something.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Rocketman trait!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 13:20 »

Hey, this is a good idea! There are pistol builds, shotgun builds, and rapid weapon builds so why not a rocket launcher build? =)
There should also be some sort of trigger happy trait, but for rockets... That way you can immitate Revenants =D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

007bistromath

• Backer
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 16:52 »

The main idea: removing splash damage would make weapons that do it far less useful in combat, basically a really high damage pistol that shoots way too slow and needs to be reloaded after every shot. Furthermore, the reason you're doing this, removing the risk of weapon destruction, is one of the main balancing factors of explosive weaponry.

Now, if you mean that it just stops doing damage to you, that makes a bit more sense. I could see that. Rocket jump is pretty silly though, would be basically a waste of a trait. Who's going to waste rockets on clearing a few squares' distance? It would be faster and less risky to walk.

TH: Rocket Launchers don't have a magazine, that wouldn't make any sense. Unless you're thinking of shottyman.

Zero

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 17:52 »

No friendly fire damage would make it overpowered I think, seeing as there's an abundance of rockets (in my experience, which is not all that much).

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 19:19 »

Yeah, I just meant that it wouldn't deal splash damage to you. Everythign else in the radius would take normal damage.

Darkwaterotter

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 20:07 »

defiantly i don't know about the rocket jumping idea but the splash damage idea is a good one

myuzinn

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 21:10 »

I made a suggestion once before about blast-jumping, be it from rocket explosions or acid balls or whatever else. The idea is that you get propelled roughly in the same direction you were moving the previous turn and eliminate some of the damage incurred, intended for AoB players who need to close fast. The problem was that I felt it didn't effectively do anything that HellRunner doesn't already do, and HR does it better, since it minimises damage from all projectiles (not just blasts), and improves speed constantly not just when blasted.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 09:58 »

Kinda funny, rocket jumping is already in the current beta, so expect to see it soon :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

rekenne

• Elder
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 19:15 »

... Ohrly.
Why isn't it on the betas board!? I want a beta to rip into!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 20:05 »

Soon, have patience, dear friend ;)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 10:08 »

Soon, have patience, dear friend ;)

There is no such thing as patience if a new DoomRL version is about to be released =)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 17:01 »

i mentioned this in some thread or another a couple days ago, but a trait to reduce rocket blast radius by one and increase the splash damage in the remaining squares would be interesting. prereq. eagle eye 2.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 02:18 »

Nice idea :) .

How I see it:
- Rocketman trait would reduce damage a marine is taking from the rocket blast (it could reduce blast damage from monsters' projectiles); additionally to it, it could add accuracy (+1) if the marine is using a Rocket Launcher type weapon;

- after 2 Rocketman traits there would be unlocked Rocketjumper; Rocketjumper would work like Rocketman (give the same bonuses), and additionally would allow a very long (few cells) jumps; it could add also a very HIGH dodge bonus AFTER the player performed rocket jump (it could be the same or higher than the one the running status gives);

And by the way, there are rocket jumps in Doom - I remember there was moment in Doom 2 in which you had to do such thing to access special level.
Pages: [1]