Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 03:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2 Player mode  (Read 10228 times)

agentCDE

2 Player mode
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 00:33 »

Multiplay would be nice, but something that would be very, very needed, if it was over a network of some kind: a "talk" command. Should take very little time, and just allow you to send a message to the other marines. Seeing what others do and getting a special message upon something signifigant happening to another player would also be nice. IE:

Bob radioed: "Let's get on with the killing!"
Corpse's screams eminate from your radio as he is killed by a Hell Knight...
Zigmud suddenly grabs a chainsaw and screams "BLOOD!! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!"

Ad infinitum.

Being able to share maps would be nice as well, but sight ranges shouldn't be seen by other players. Comp Maps would reveal all of the map for all players, of course. This, of course, assumes you're playing co-op.

Chat would be important for things like "Stash the shotguns - there's a metric ton of barrels ahead!", "I found another blue armor - anyone need it?" ect.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
2 Player mode
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 10:46 »

The original Doom supported hotkeys for chat.

Really I think that it would be not worth the time to add an Internet based multiplayer feature, I gave TOMEnet a spin and really Roguelikes are not built to deal with lag.

I reckon that a LAN co-op would be a better idea though.

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
2 Player mode
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 11:52 »

Quoting: Anticheese
Really I think that it would be not worth the time to add an Internet based multiplayer feature... I reckon that a LAN co-op would be a better idea though.

Technically, it's the same TCP/IP for both.

But the biggest obstacle isn't the techincal side, it's the logic (gameplay).
While I was one of the earliest to request the multiplayer feature, I've changed my mind and now I don't think that can be done without either going unplayable or being changed too much to be the same game any longer.
Pages: 1 [2]  All