Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 17:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Roguelike ideas I thought up at one time or another  (Read 4066 times)

FrostyTheDragon

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Roguelike ideas I thought up at one time or another
« on: January 22, 2009, 20:40 »

Okay, so I have one of those minds that tends to either drift randomly or come up with unusual things.  At several different points I came up with ideas for other games to turn into roguelikes.

While I intend to eventually pick up one of these ideas and actually make a roguelike out of it (note that I have this and this in mind, and was thinking of using the 'Curses' library), I decided I'd share all of them with you guys for two reasons:

1) Maybe people could help me decide which one to work on and expand more.  Heck, I could wind up with ideas to further implement.
2) Maybe someone likes an idea so much that they want to beat me to the punch and make it into an actual roguelike on their time.  In these cases, I'd like to be kept in the loop to help with design ideas.

So without further ado, let me share the ideas I had for potential roguelikes.

HereticRL

Some of you will immediately comment that this would be too close to DoomRL.  My original design document for this (it's not really much, though I still need to make quick notes for the monsters) hinted at completely different inventory and level-up systems (yeah, I come from the school of thought that says 'design a lot of it before you do much work at all') to attempt to separate this enough from DoomRL.  (And actually I also wound up putting stuff from Hexen into the design as well.)  Still, it might wind up an uphill battle.

RotT-RL

"RotT" stands for "Rise of the Triad".  As in, the game that originally was intended to be the sequel to Wolfenstein 3D, but wound up something completely different.  Unfortunately, implementing the most well-known thing from this game into the roguelike would probably have to be part of the 'step 15' of design.  Inventory wouldn't be too hard though (in the original game, there were no ammo drops - bullet weapons had infinite ammo and all the ammo in missile weapons was locked in the weapon itself).

Altered Beast - The Roguelike

Sadly, when I look at it, most of my design intent for this bears great resemblance to the existing 'Berserk!' roguelike.  There's probably still enough difference somewhere, though.  I should note that when writing my design in this case, I pulled from both the original arcade game and the GBA remake to get my ideas.  One thing that would change from the original 'Altered Beast' games is that instead of a different form in each level, the player probably would get one form for the entire game and that form would power up every few levels.  (This would also allow a little replay value to seep in.)

If anyone wishes to inquire into one of my ideas or perhaps persuade me into a particular choice, feel free to let me know.
Pages: [1]