Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 'Winning' Endless mode possible  (Read 7996 times)

kipar2

• Private
    • View Profile
'Winning' Endless mode possible
« on: January 23, 2009, 07:42 »

Well, I know that Endless mode is Endless, but for interest i've recompiled it (btw sources which i downloaded failed to compile without changes - there are missing unit vparams.pas and different interface and implementation declarations for some methods) to see how will be to play at nights with high numbers.

And it's easy.
   On nights 30+ imps stop appearing and there are only low-dexterity mandragores, skeletons, bulldemons surround you. They just cannot hit you with your dexterity 20+ - so you whirlwind\sweep or just hit them until all are dead.
   Even not counting that character at high levels has very much hp and dexterity, so
   I've successfully play even at night 20, so if anyone will be able to pass first dreadly two-three weeks of hell, he will deal with monsters like the Guts do.

But there is another problem, and not only in my recompiled but in original version too - Demons with long names crash the game. I'll find on my hard and send here my crash message later, but it was access violation near TBeing.GetName.
I've meet in once at night 10 and once at night 9 playing original (not compiled myself) version 0.8.5.

And in my cheated version I've seen really weird demons, with unreadable names (their ASCII codes >127, something not from people language)... Most of them just crash the game, but they who don't crash... One of them shoots about 150 shots to me while i making one step, another while i reload cannon just run over all screen and then hits me many times until i've failed to dodge: HP=-537.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: 'Winning' Endless mode possible
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:50 »

That's... scary O.o.

Anyway, Berserk! hopefully will see some love soon.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07 »

The weird monsters are probably created by buffer overflows; The game reads the non-monster data as monster data and will indeed create weird stuff then...

Anyway, don't cheat! >=(
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 09:19 »

The weird monsters are probably created by buffer overflows; The game reads the non-monster data as monster data and will indeed create weird stuff then...

Anyway, don't cheat! >=(

The latter reminds me of the infamous "glitch Pokemon"... Most of them are created by the games reading non-Pokemon data as Pokemon data as well...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:34 »

Good ol' Missingno...
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 13:50 »

Remember the Cinnbar Island-Safari Zone Trick?
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]
Pages: [1]