Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57

Author Topic: New unique items  (Read 367927 times)

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: New unique items
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2009, 18:18 »

(...) it would be incredibly strong and it has to be able to go through multiple targets just like in the manga.
Doesn't the Railgun already work that way ?
It could have multiple power levels too.
In b4 >9000 ;).

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2009, 00:26 »

What? It's over the BFG9000! That can't be right!
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2009, 01:22 »

I suggest the Gravitational Beam Emitter from "Blame!".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_Beam_Emitter (scroll down until you see the section about the gun)

I don't know what the stats would be since I'm not really good with old school RPG attack formulas, but it would be incredibly strong and it has to be able to go through multiple targets just like in the manga. It could have multiple power levels too.
I am against it, but making a weapon that draws health from the user instead of ammo... Necrogun anyone? [;
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2009, 15:18 »

I'd say

Code: [Select]
Necrogun
Gives you a +20% moving speed
Recharges when moving, but for 2 pv.
Damage dice: 4d6
Accuracy: 0 (shotyyyyy)
Base Fire Time:  1 second
Base Reload Time: --
Clip size: 1

That'd make it pretty berserkish. You'd run, loose pvs and deal damage like a madman. :>

I'm also thinking about a fun armor. A repulsive thingy that automatically knockback any monster that dare attack you hand to hand. Could be a lifesaver without being overpowered I think.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 16:04 by Krok »

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2009, 17:29 »

That'd make it pretty berserkish. You'd run, loose pvs and deal damage like a madman. :>
I'd rather make it cost health to reload. This would indirectly mean that excessive healing powerups and medpacks become a type of ammo...
Also - it should deal a LOT of damage to justify life drain. BFG-like amount of damage.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2009, 22:31 »

That would depend on exactly how much health is drained. 2 hp for 10d8? Yeah, no.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2009, 02:09 »

That would depend on exactly how much health is drained. 2 hp for 10d8? Yeah, no.
Well - it shouldn't drain half of your health for one shot either. It's obvious that it shouldn't be overpowered. I'm more worried about it becoming underpowered.

Another idea:
Pendant of Retribution
While wearing (i.e.: having in the inventory) the PoR the player cannot lose sight of his opponents (once a monster is in his LOS, he cannot move in a direction that would change that and, obviously, cannot descend to the next level). PoR can only be dropped when there are no enemies in sight.
When the player receives fatal damage he gets supercharged instead (see: limit break), while the PoR gets destroyed in the process (although the 'cannot-run-away' effect lasts until the end of level regardless).
If that's too little for too much - the general idea is to give the player a second chance ONLY IF he can maul down everything around him. As such - the "no-escape" rule might simply apply ONLY after the limit break and not while just wearing the pendant.

On the other hand - we could have an Angel of Retribution where you'd have all the drawbacks of the pendant... without the pendant :>.

Edit:
RNGun
Targets anything (like Revenant's Launcher). Everything within its effect radius changes to a random object (anything, really - floor, ammo, lava, door, wall, weapon, barrel, powerup...). Extensive use would be highly dangerous, as it is likely to block the way to the exit. Also - CD, JC (and, perhaps, the player) are immune to the randomization effect.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 02:31 by Vestin »

Jimmy

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2009, 04:23 »

Concerning the necrogun idea, If you make the health cost something connected with reloading, and it's bfg-like in power, it could easily be useful even if it cost half of your health.  There are many, many times in doomrl when you run across things like large health globes, invulnerability artifacts and berserk globes when at well over 50% health- any of these times you could reload the gun and then grab the item.  Not to mention the small medkits that are often not worth inventory space later in the game.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2009, 04:58 »

I think that Necro gun shouldn't be reloaded. It takes energy directly from you, that's the Necro gun power. Also, it doesn't take the same amount health from you all the time, so it is possible to kill yourself in the whole process.

Necro gun would take a random amount of your health. The more health it takes, the more damage it can deal.

What we mean by 2hp? 2hp or 2% of health? If 100% health is 50hp(without any traits). Then the gun would take 2d4hp and deal (hp_taken) * 2 dmg.

No reload time! The only thing to discuss here is how fast the Necro gun can drain health from you.

Also, detaching the Necro gun deals 2d3 damage to you.

... niczym bracia!

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2009, 07:50 »

About the necrogun it really depends of what you want it to be. It could be a BFG-like, backup situational wep or a good main wep you use in replacement to a chaingun for example. My idea was to make a good main wep, so low health drain and decent-but-not-BFG-like damage.

It's a bit themed with necro armor that also give speed boost and drain a low continuous amount of health to repair, altho my version may be a bit underpowered. Bigger speed boost, better damge, shorter fire time, 1hp instead of 2hp drain, are options to improve it ; also bigger clip or instant reload (no need to move a tile) but it's less fun imho :P

@ Melon : Your version takes way too much health compared that what it deals. To take down a major monster (vile, BoH, mancubus...) that got 60hp you'd need 30+ hp (more because they are armored) i.e. something like 70% of your health for only double damage of a pistol.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:01 by Krok »

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2009, 08:07 »

About the necrogun it really depends of what you want it to be. It could be a BFG-like, backup situational wep or a good main wep you use in replacement to a chaingun for example. My idea was to make a good main wep, so low health drain and decent-but-not-BFG-like damage.

It's a bit themed with necro armor that also give speed boost and drain a low continuous amount of health to repair, altho my version may be a bit underpowered. Bigger speed boost, better damge, shorter fire time, 1hp instead of 2hp drain, are options to improve it ; also bigger clip or instant reload (no need to move a tile) but it's less fun imho :P

@ Melon : Your version takes way too much health compared that what it deals. To take down a major monster (vile, BoH, mancubus...) that got 60hp you'd need 30+ hp (more because they are armored) i.e. something like 70% of your health for only double damage of a pistol.
(hp_taken+son_of_a_bitch+ 2 * (is_necro_armour_present) ) *2

... niczym bracia!

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2009, 09:34 »

With SoB i'd rather use a chaingun. Your necro gun is 16 dmg per shot with SoB 3 (20 with necroarmor) and chaingun is 32 for 5 missiles. Difference is less important with armor tho bc it applies 5 times on chaingun, but still, for a weapon that drain life at such fast rate (~10% per shot), it's too weak. For 10% health, almost insta-death of a target is the price to make it useful imho.

I'd like to +1 these ideas i found in this thread : Boomrang, Translocator, the force-a-nature, and most long-range-only weapons suggestions.

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2009, 09:35 »

Dealing damage equal to merely two times the hp drained is definitely not worth it.  Taking a look at killcounts, in a typical win I probably deal over 10,000 damage (after armor!) while taking perhaps 1000 hp in damage.  Preserving your health is fundamental to surviving, so if you're trading it away for something, that something better be really good.

That's probably why I don't think a health draining gun would be appropriate as a main weapon, unless it drained at a very low rate (1 hp per 10 shots?).  Instead, it'd be a viable option if the player was in a situation and thought to him/herself: "Well, if I were to fight this out the usual way, I'd probably lose x hp, but if I used to health drain weapon, I might handle the situation well and only lose y hp to the health drain."  So I think a strong, fast single-target gun (to use against viles or other dangerous targets that could lead to major trouble), or a pretty strong area effect gun (to use against dangerous crowds that can really deal out the pain) would be useful archtypes for this weapon.

However, currently there already are weapons that fill these roles - whatever build you use, the matching weapon will be the fast strong single target attack, and the BFG9000 is the weapon to use against crowds.  So this necrogun will have to be better, to offset its downside.

I do think it's a good idea for a unique weapon, though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:37 by Zi »

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2009, 09:50 »

I agree with the whole post. Looking back at my necrogun it's ridiculously unuseful.

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2009, 10:25 »

Well the +20% move speed is tremendously useful, especially on a permanent item like a weapon (i.e. not armor).

Maybe if the necrogun drained life with each shot, but restored it with each kill?  That could be interesting.  It could even lead to situations when players softened up targets with regular weapons, then switched to the necrogun to finish them off and even come out with more health than he started with.

Costs 1 hp to fire (0.5s firing time).  No need to reload.  Deals 5d5 (maybe a bit less) damage with radius of 2.  For every kill directly from the shot and its blast radius, gain 1hp.  Perhaps +3 accuracy.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 57