Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57

Author Topic: New unique items  (Read 368048 times)

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: New unique items
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2009, 11:19 »

That sound powerful with such a low firing time and no reload and low health consumption. Altho I like it. Need to be tweaked just a little probably.

1s base fire time is fine if damage is pumped up, or let it be but decrease damage by 2 pts or so (so it'd still 1 shot most weak monsters but be far less effective against bigger ones).

Edit : Well, thinking back, I like it as it is.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:30 by Krok »

Arakune

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2009, 13:06 »

Although my idea, the GBE, sounds similar to the railgun it would only be one shot since it's a pistol. And the different power levels would do more damage for more of a health penalty on the user. Also, it destroys walls with it's bullets (continuous shot until it hits the end of the stage). I'm just trying to think of what ammo it would use....either Power Cells or self charging like the Blaster....

But over all I think the GBE would be a great addition with the game considering it's story and and usage.

I just need someone to make some stats for it cause I'm really bad at making balanced weapons and I don't understand damage dice. :(

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2009, 14:41 »

Well the +20% move speed is tremendously useful, especially on a permanent item like a weapon (i.e. not armor).

Maybe if the necrogun drained life with each shot, but restored it with each kill?  That could be interesting.  It could even lead to situations when players softened up targets with regular weapons, then switched to the necrogun to finish them off and even come out with more health than he started with.

Costs 1 hp to fire (0.5s firing time).  No need to reload.  Deals 5d5 (maybe a bit less) damage with radius of 2.  For every kill directly from the shot and its blast radius, gain 1hp.  Perhaps +3 accuracy.

10% bonus to movement speed
25% with Necro Armour

0.5s base fire time, takes 2d2 health and deals (health_taken + SoB + 3*necro_armour_present)*3
Ignores armour
Every direct kill gives you 1hp
No splash damage [;

Necro Armour would get extra +10% movement speed if Necro Gun is present
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2009, 19:13 »

Let's suppose you have SoaB 3 (but not Necroarmor - it'd probably be really rare to get two specific uniques in the same game)
2d2 = 3 average, so 6*3, 18 damage average, or 36 dps average
Now a regular vanilla chaingun with SoaB 3 - 1d6 = 3.5 average, so 6.5 * 5, or 32.5 dps average.

So compared to a chaingun, your weapon is marginally better (and yes the armor piercing adds a bit more too), but drains a rather large chunk of health.  Draining 1-4 health is actually pretty large, and the possibility of gaining 1 back doesn't offset the cost by much.

The way you've set things up I wouldn't even use it if I found it, a health penalty is a huge drawback, it needs a powerful benefit to make it worthwhile.  Furthermore, uniques are supposed to be superior to ordinary weapons, this one clearly is not.

And really, comparing it to a plasma rifle is the final straw.
1d8 = 4.5 average, so 7.5 * 8, or 60 average dps!
Even the new nerfed plasma at *6 is still 45 average dps, better than your design and with no health loss to boot.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2009, 23:23 »

Let's suppose you have SoaB 3 (but not Necroarmor - it'd probably be really rare to get two specific uniques in the same game)
2d2 = 3 average, so 6*3, 18 damage average, or 36 dps average
Now a regular vanilla chaingun with SoaB 3 - 1d6 = 3.5 average, so 6.5 * 5, or 32.5 dps average.

So compared to a chaingun, your weapon is marginally better (and yes the armor piercing adds a bit more too), but drains a rather large chunk of health.  Draining 1-4 health is actually pretty large, and the possibility of gaining 1 back doesn't offset the cost by much.

The way you've set things up I wouldn't even use it if I found it, a health penalty is a huge drawback, it needs a powerful benefit to make it worthwhile.  Furthermore, uniques are supposed to be superior to ordinary weapons, this one clearly is not.

And really, comparing it to a plasma rifle is the final straw.
1d8 = 4.5 average, so 7.5 * 8, or 60 average dps!
Even the new nerfed plasma at *6 is still 45 average dps, better than your design and with no health loss to boot.
Even with no reload, shorted firing time and bigger accuracy? Okay, I think the damage could be risen a little... Any proposistion?
And besides, the idea is to get the full set [;
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 23:25 by Melon »

... niczym bracia!

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2009, 23:32 »

How about instead of 1HP per kill, you get 20% of the monster's health per kill? So taking out, say, a wimpy former human (which is attempting to wield a BFG10K I bet :P) would give you 2 health, but taking out a mancubus would give you 12 HP for your troubles. Special reload would have you sacrifice two health to increase the damage dice by 1d1 (so 6d6, 7d7, 8d8 etc) at no time penalty, or would that be too overpowering? :P

Floyd

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2009, 00:09 »

How about instead of 1HP per kill, you get 20% of the monster's health per kill? So taking out, say, a wimpy former human (which is attempting to wield a BFG10K I bet :P) would give you 2 health, but taking out a mancubus would give you 12 HP for your troubles. Special reload would have you sacrifice two health to increase the damage dice by 1d1 (so 6d6, 7d7, 8d8 etc) at no time penalty, or would that be too overpowering? :P

It would certainly reduce the amount of med-kits used, especially in Hell. Killing a mancubus with the gun would net you over 20% of your total health back (with no points in Ironman). I'd say abit overpowered. I like the general idea about Necrogun though.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2009, 00:36 »

Well the +20% move speed is tremendously useful, especially on a permanent item like a weapon (i.e. not armor).

Maybe if the necrogun drained life with each shot, but restored it with each kill?  That could be interesting.  It could even lead to situations when players softened up targets with regular weapons, then switched to the necrogun to finish them off and even come out with more health than he started with.

Costs 1 hp to fire (0.5s firing time).  No need to reload.  Deals 5d5 (maybe a bit less) damage with radius of 2.  For every kill directly from the shot and its blast radius, gain 1hp.  Perhaps +3 accuracy.

Sshhh.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2009, 01:09 »

Can we have a unique that does this?

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2009, 01:14 »

Dragonslayer, my friend. Kornel sadistically hints that it's the most powerful unique in the game.

Wouldn't surprise me if on wielding it it makes you SHOOP DA WHOOP anything in sight.
[0.9.9.7]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2009, 01:47 »

Can we have a unique that does this?

Flashlight of Annihilation?

... niczym bracia!

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2009, 03:17 »

Sure, as long as the cyberdemon stops existing in the end. :D

Edit: Less flashlight, more laser. Yes I am doing this for the hell of it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 03:51 by Generic »

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2009, 03:52 »

We always need more laz0rs to fire.

Arakune

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2009, 23:46 »

Poop. No one enjoyed my idea. Oh well. *whimper*

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2009, 03:34 »

I suggest the Gravitational Beam Emitter from "Blame!".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_Beam_Emitter (scroll down until you see the section about the gun)

I don't know what the stats would be since I'm not really good with old school RPG attack formulas, but it would be incredibly strong and it has to be able to go through multiple targets just like in the manga. It could have multiple power levels too.

Beta Railgun's been upped to 8d8, making this totally useless, unless you wanted it to be something 10d8 (Bfg Level), which would be over-powered.
[0.9.9.7]
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57