Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 57

Author Topic: New unique items  (Read 367514 times)

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: New unique items
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 18:06 »

- twist or brake your wrist. -5 HP, can only use healing items and powerups until S/LHP or Berserk Pack or Supercharge is used or floor change. 20%
- break your arm. (if the grip was not proper.) -10 HP, and firing speed is doubled until healing item is used or floor change. 30%
- jump out of your hand and smack you on the face with enough force to break your nose. - 5 HP, and gross accuracy bonus = 0 until healing item or floor change, trail blood for five steps. 40%
- Accidentally drop 'z' weapon - 10%
- result in a combination of 2 or more of the injuries listed above.

Happens if there is a 'z' weapon equipped when firing at a varying rate:

Just the 'cannon' = 1 per 1000 shots
Cannon main, Knife secondary = 2% (1% with Juggler)
Cannon main, Pistol-type or Butcher's Cleaver secondary = 10% (100% with Dualgunner) (85% with Juggler and Dualgunner) (5% with Juggler)
Cannon main, Shotgun-type secondary = 20% (15% with Juggler)
Cannon main, Rocket Launcher-type or Chainsaw secondary = 25% (15% with Juggler)
Cannon main, Chaingun-type or Plasma Rifle-type secondary = 30% (10% with Juggler)
Cannon main, BFG-type or Loningus or Jackhammer secondary = 40% (30% with Juggler)
Cannon main, Dragonslayer secondary = 100% (100% with Juggler)
Cannon main, anything else secondary = 20% (10% with Juggler)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 18:21 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 05:41 »

- twist or brake your wrist. -5 HP, can only use healing items and powerups until S/LHP or Berserk Pack or Supercharge is used or floor change. 20%
- break your arm. (if the grip was not proper.) -10 HP, and firing speed is doubled until healing item is used or floor change. 30%

I'd add "cannot use 2 handed weapons i.e. shotguns, chainguns plasma rifles, butcher's cleaver, dragonslayer, BFG etc"

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 06:19 »

That would be anything that's not a pistol or knife, then.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 16:07 »

That would be anything that's not a pistol or knife, then.

Exactly, and even this with a penalty due to pain.

As undoomish as it might sound I think it would be fun to adapt a more complex injury and targeting system into Doom RL.

Including things like not being able to run while being leg-shot, or not being able to run and rapidly loosing health while lung-shot, not being able to use certain weapons with an arm severed by a shotgun shell, etc.

All of course still healable with all the healing items, plus we could add medical traits just too balance the fact that this would make it much easier to die.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 17:46 by Kao »

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 17:56 »

Well, now, hold on. The twisted/borked wrists already requires healing before more attacking. I haven't fired a gun with a borked arm, but shooting with the wrong hand should cause  Since I haven't discouraged the double injury mechanic, anything more might be more dangerous and difficult...and yes, that is wrists in plural now ;P

Besides, this all only applies while shooting that cannon-pistol with a 'z' weapon equipped.

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 10:27 »

Since I haven't discouraged the double injury mechanic, anything more might be more dangerous and difficult...

And that is the whole fun don't you agree? How about we start a topic on more realistic injuries in Doom RL just to increase the difficulty a few notches? I'm saying we cause I have the ideas for injuries and you are good in converting them into game mechanics, so we might work something reasonable out of this.

If you want to contact me just send me a PM with your skype, gg or msn.

I haven't fired a gun with a broken arm

With a heavier rifle (Anything more powerful than 5.56 NATO) this pretty much equals breaking or seriously injuring your other arm because of heavy recoil and the fact that the gun can move freely while held with only one hand.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 15:39 »

Health is measured as a percentage. If you want realism, just pretend that Doomguy's wrists and ribs and organs DO break, but all the supernatural hell healing items fix that. Otherwise, realistically, it takes days or weeks for broken things to heal; would YOU want to be stuck in hell for days or weeks, with a broken wrist, wielding the gun that broke your good wrist in your off hand? Note: 10mm is somewhere between .44 and .50 caliber. Doomguy pops those off ALL DAY LONG. if your 'cannon' packs such a kick, just express it as slow firing time; one still has to go 'wooooo...!' like will smith with the noisy cricket. (side note: NO) Besides, it's really not necessary. If you've ever faced a new dlvl with 36% health, no armor or health items, two phase devices and that combat shottie you picked up two levels ago because you ran out of power cells, you know how tense DoomRL can get. And don't give me any crap about inventory management. i already know, and you already know it doesn't always help.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 16:42 »

Health is measured as a percentage. If you want realism, just pretend that Doomguy's wrists and ribs and organs DO break, but all the supernatural hell healing items fix that.

Well that was the point, as Raekuul said, yes healing items WOULD FIX ALL THAT IN A SNAP. As for 10mm in terms of power it all depends which 10mm we are talking about. I mean 10mm pistol, 10mm intermediate, or 10mm full rifle cartridge. then again Doom RL doesn't clarify this although I do assume that a chaingun is more likely to fire full 10mm than pistol 10mm don't you think? Although that wold be too much realism.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 07:00 »

Hm, just came to me.
Why didn't anyone proposed sawed-off shotgun? It has wider spread, but shorter reload time (it's less cumbersome).
That would be easy to implement and would be well suited to the DooM universe.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 10:41 »

It has wider spread, but shorter reload time (it's less cumbersome).

Don't forget it has significantly shorter range even shorter than the DB shotgun.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 19:50 »

That'd be interesting to hack around with...

And the bee-bee gun idea is a good one for early game, not so much for late-game...

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2009, 15:38 »

It has wider spread, but shorter reload time (it's less cumbersome).

Don't forget it has significantly shorter range even shorter than the DB shotgun.

I think it has shorter effective range (chance to hit a target). The shorter the barrel, the longer the range, but less accurate is the gun.

... niczym bracia!

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2009, 23:31 »

the caster gun from Outlaw Star. pistol, takes rockets, low accuracy, smaller blast radius, more damage. or something.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2009, 05:18 »

I think it has shorter effective range (chance to hit a target). The shorter the barrel, the longer the range, but less accurate is the gun.

Actually the shorter the barrel the shorter the range and the worse the accuracy. That is one of the reasons a rifle has a longer range and is more accurate than a pistol. Longer barrel means the powder combustion gases propel the bullet longer. (after leaving the barrel they go whichever way they want.)

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2009, 06:46 »

Actually the shorter the barrel the shorter the range and the worse the accuracy. That is one of the reasons a rifle has a longer range and is more accurate than a pistol. Longer barrel means the powder combustion gases propel the bullet longer. (after leaving the barrel they go whichever way they want.)

Sounds reasonable, I always thought the other way. Still, I am waiting for such gun to be implemented (although I am a chaingun person).
But now when I look at howitzers or sniper rifles they all have long barrels, one exception I found is the Karl Gerat 60 artillery (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/60-cm_Karl_Ger%C3%A4t_040). But that's just a little off-topic [;

... niczym bracia!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 57