Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57

Author Topic: New unique items  (Read 367682 times)

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: New unique items
« Reply #405 on: February 21, 2010, 18:58 »

phaseshift 'set'? Like, wearing both the armor and boots will do that?

Either way, I don't think acid and lava are such a big deal that it would be an "I win" button.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 19:00 by ChaoticJosh »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 21, 2010, 19:17 »

phaseshift 'set'? Like, wearing both the armor and boots will do that?

Either way, I don't think acid and lava are such a big deal that it would be an "I win" button.
Yes.  Acid and lava can get in the way if you like using AoE weapons, or if you are fighting many Mancubi at the same time -- they wreck the room you are in pretty badly, and if you have barrels around -- have fun.

But more importantly, ability to cross acid and lava pools open up new tactical possibilities that can make use of the greater manoeuverability that allows better cover against cretins that fear to tread on those tiles.
I computed, therefore I was.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #407 on: February 21, 2010, 21:06 »

Levitation Boots
Unique Boots
Inv. Description: I hope they aren't cursed! (Nethack reference)
Protection: 0/0
durability: N/A
Move Speed: 0%
Knockback: +50%
Moddable: No
Special: When worn, you can walk over acid and lava without taking damage, since you're floating over them.

Uh, no. Not for both acid and lava. There is still such a thing as convection. If it's only valid over acid, I can handle that.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2010, 22:09 »

Boots of waterwalk
Unique

Protection; 3/3
Durability; 150%
Movespeed; 10%
Knockback; -5%

Special; When worn, allows you to move double speed on water tiles.
i dont even know anymore

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 21, 2010, 23:00 »

Spiked boots (hint: the spikes are inside the boots)
Unique

Description: "What, do you mean you don't like pain?"
Protection: 3/3
Durability: 100%
Movespeed: +15%
Knockback: -100%

When worn normally, causes 1 HP deduction per 5 turns.  If playing Angel of Masochism, does not cause HP deduction but provides +2 to protection on feet.  Cannot be removed once worn in either case.

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2010, 23:30 »

I'm not sure if uniques that are, for the most part, largely detrimental to the player will be very popular.

I have a question, is it possible to make globe-style uniques? If so:

Shell Bullet powerup (Scryed reference)

When this powerup globe is picked up, it transforms your fist into the Shell Bullet.

Shell Bullet

Melee Weapon
Description: "More... MORE POWER!"
Damage: 6d7
accuracy: +0
Alternate Fire: Uses Shell Bullet, an attack with 10d10 damage, but can only be used if cautious, and tires the player out afterward. Can destroy walls.
Other special notes: Deforms one arm into the shell bullet, thus permanently consuming one weapon slot, so you can only z-switch between one weapon and the Shell Bullet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 23:39 by ChaoticJosh »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2010, 03:31 »

I'm not sure if uniques that are, for the most part, largely detrimental to the player will be very popular.

Clearly you've not seen the Necroarmour yet... nor the Cyberarmour...

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2010, 04:36 »

Actually, I've gotten both. The necroarmor is very useful if you're in an abundance of hp, happen to hoard medkits, and make strategic usage of globes with badass.

Also, the cybernetic armor atleast has the redeeming quality of having 8 damage reduction, the highest of all the armors in the game. You just need to get lucky finding the armor repair globes. Plus, in the unlikely event of finding an Onyx Armor Pack, the Cyber Armor becomes the best armor in the game hands down.

If I were to look at the spiky boots, I'd have to say that I'd never pick them up. It would be the type of unique that I'd pick up, and then immediately drop just so I could have registered to have picked in up in the mortem. They have less foot protection than plasteel boots, they give a negligible spped increase, and the life sapping mechanic with the nonremovable bit makes it sound like it would be much more trouble than it's worth. It doesn't have any particular quality that a serious player would consider exploiting.

Now, if it had a major redeeming quality of some sort (besides just being friendlier to the unlikely AoM player), then I think it'd be a better idea.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 23, 2010, 17:36 »

The design of the spiked boots is really for this one challenge: completing the Lava Pits on AoMs.  The thing about this challenge, or at least, as far as I can understand it, was that Kornel wanted AoMs to block environment suits.  So should he do that, it'll probably be nice to have some other means completing that.

And you are right that no one in their sane mind would use the boots in a normal game.  Unless of course DoomGuy is a true masochist even in normal games.  (=

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 23, 2010, 23:13 »

The design of the spiked boots is really for this one challenge: completing the Lava Pits on AoMs.  The thing about this challenge, or at least, as far as I can understand it, was that Kornel wanted AoMs to block environment suits.  So should he do that, it'll probably be nice to have some other means completing that.

And you are right that no one in their sane mind would use the boots in a normal game.  Unless of course DoomGuy is a true masochist even in normal games.  (=

Well that's stupid.

The boots are totally useless except for one challenge.
Except they're useless then because they offer less protection than plasteel boots.
Except even plasteel boots are sub-optimal, because Kornel does not want to make AoMs block envirosuits, as it does not have healing properties.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

BEEF

• Lance Corporal
  • Made in Argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2010, 20:19 »

Designing an item that's only useful in one extremely rare circumstance is a waste of time, and of a unique item. 99 times out of 100, you'll have no use when it comes up, and when you do need it, you can't rely on it coming up. But hey, painboots.

Needle-Soled Boots
Description: Mind-searing pain can be a powerful motivator.
Protection: 2
Speed: +0%
Knockback: -25%
Special: You lose 1 hp when you put them on, and 1 hp every 50 turns (5 seconds) afterwards. You gain 1 effective level in each of Hellrunner, Finesse, and Reloader. These effective levels do not affect trait selection in any way and go away when you remove the boots.

Something a little more serious

Stim Armor
Description: Armor with an adrenaline pump? That seems like overkill...
Protection: 2
Speed: +0%
Knockback: +0%
Special: Increases berserk countdown by 10% (berserk packs give 55, Berserker gives 22). When damaged, there is a chance (5% per durability lost) that you go berserk for 20 rounds. When destroyed, you go berserk for 20 rounds.

Something a little less serious

Security blanket
Unique armor
Description: It doesn't matter how dirty or tattered your Binky gets, you love it more than ever!
Protection: 3
Speed: -10%
Special: Instead of decreasing when damaged, the Security Blanket's protection increases, to 5 at 49%, and 7 at 24%.

And something too silly to mention but I'm going to mention it anyway

Lost Soles
Unique boots
Description: You found a couple of lost souls asleep on the ground, and you tied them to your feet for some reason?
Protection: 1
Durability: Unlimited
Speed: +50% (or +100%, whichever one means half movement cost)
Special: If one or more enemies are in vision, you must end a move closer to the closest enemy or else you get the message "Your boots balk!" and instead of a speed bonus, you have a -50% speed penalty. If you try to remove them, you are prompted "Really free the lost souls? Y/n" and if you choose Y, the item is destroyed and two lost souls are spawned adjacent to you.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2010, 21:38 »

Security blanket
Unique armor
Description: It doesn't matter how dirty or tattered your Binky gets, you love it more than ever!
Protection: 3
Speed: -10%
Special: Instead of decreasing when damaged, the Security Blanket's protection increases, to 5 at 49%, and 7 at 24%.

This is hilarious.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37 »

And something too silly to mention but I'm going to mention it anyway

Lost Soles
Unique boots
Description: You found a couple of lost souls asleep on the ground, and you tied them to your feet for some reason?
Protection: 1
Durability: Unlimited
Speed: +50% (or +100%, whichever one means half movement cost)
Special: If one or more enemies are in vision, you must end a move closer to the closest enemy or else you get the message "Your boots balk!" and instead of a speed bonus, you have a -50% speed penalty. If you try to remove them, you are prompted "Really free the lost souls? Y/n" and if you choose Y, the item is destroyed and two lost souls are spawned adjacent to you.
Oh man, harnessing evil for the sake of good! What harm could possibly come from this?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 26, 2010, 09:44 »

The 4.4 lb trout
Unique
Description; There's something very fishy going on..
Damage; 3d4
Damagetype; Normal
Accuracy: +2
Clip; N/A
Firespeed; 0.5
Reloadspeed: N/A

Altfire; The big slap. Takes 1.5secs to perform but deals 3 extra damages and throws your enemy back 4 squares.

Special; Each time you use this weapon it has a small random chance to un equipt itself and drop to the floor "The weapon slips from your hand"
i dont even know anymore

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 27, 2010, 03:13 »

The 4.4 lb trout
Unique
Description; There's something very fishy going on..
Damage; 3d4
Damagetype; Normal
Accuracy: +2
Clip; N/A
Firespeed; 0.5
Reloadspeed: N/A

Altfire; The big slap. Takes 1.5secs to perform but deals 3 extra damages and throws your enemy back 4 squares.

Special; Each time you use this weapon it has a small random chance to un equipt itself and drop to the floor "The weapon slips from your hand"

My reference-sense is tingling!

Where's it from?
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 57