Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57

Author Topic: New unique items  (Read 367864 times)

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: New unique items
« Reply #570 on: February 14, 2011, 04:50 »

Do we really need more anime references in this game?

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • I'm going with the Alucard now
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 14, 2011, 07:43 »

Do we really need more anime references in this game?
Consider this: Animes provides with an enormous source of possible weapons/items to implement, many more than those FPSs can give. After all, most (If not all) of the FPSs in the world actually use the same weapon standard implemented by Doom, that is: Pistol, Shotgun, Rapid-firing weapon, heavy weapon (Be it a rocket launcher or a mortar launcher or a sheep launcher, they fulfill the same functions), energy rapid-firing weapon and a heavy energy-powered weapon. Leaving aside the last two (Because they are mostly restricted to futuristic FPSs), this model was used over and over and over.
0.9.9.5 - Archvile 2nd Lieutenant
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 14, 2011, 08:08 »

But... why do they have to be Anime references? You can suggest new stuff without it having to be a nudge-nudge-wink in-joke. It's just filling the game with stuff that a lot of people won't understand and, I suspect, will put others off. A weapon from an anime about magical girls is kind of going against the whole flavour and mood of Doom.

The Berserk stuff isn't too bad because it's pretty much an easter egg considering how hard it is to find and esoteric to actually use. Personally, I find the Trigun and Jackal to be a little much to all be in the same game together.

Plus, there is something to be said for a small, focused class of weapons. I'd rather have a limited selection of solid guns that have their own tactical purpose and modification potential with a handful of high-powered variants (like we have now) than a hundred magic anime guns that focus the power of Heart or whatever happens in Mahou Sensei Musical Magic Dongleberry Star 3.

Maybe someone should use the Valkyrie library to make AnimeRL.

Thexare

• Elder
  • Captain
  • I think I need a new favorite gun now...
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 14, 2011, 14:19 »

Can accuracy go negative on a weapon?

Blaster Rifle
In-game Description: "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."
Damage: (2d6)x5/10-60
Damage Type: Plasma
Accuracy: -2
Base Fire Time: 0.8 seconds
Base reload time: 1.5 seconds
Clip Size: 30
Ammunition: Power Cells
Special Attribute: Some shots will go off to the side, like a Mancubus's missiles but less extreme.
Alternate Fire: Single Shot - normal damage, accuracy +3, no spread.
Quote on pickup: I dunno.
Reference To: Star Wars

If negative accuracy can't be done, the entire point of the weapon's pretty much lost, but it could be changed to +0 accuracy (Plasma Rifle and Chaingun are both +2) with damage changed to maybe 1d10.

There's your non-anime gun.
Former Human Corporal
1/42 M, 7/60 S, 3/30 A
[ 6 / 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 ]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 14, 2011, 14:37 »

...than a hundred magic anime guns that focus the power of Heart or whatever happens in Mahou Sensei Musical Magic Dongleberry Star 3.

I don't know what it would be about, but I would watch it.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #575 on: February 14, 2011, 15:36 »

Blaster Rifle
In-game Description: "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise."
Accuracy: -2
EPIC :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 14, 2011, 19:36 »

Gunslinger Armour
Because your guns are your life blood.
An armour that has +5% movement speed, -10% knockback, and has protection of 2 with durability of 100%.  Has the special property that will automatically load any form of pistol instantly from the 10mm reserves in the backpack whenever the magazine of any pistol goes to 0.
I computed, therefore I was.

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 14, 2011, 20:45 »

Diabolus Interfectum

"What's this? This is no mere human weapon..."

Stats:
Damage: 7d6
Accuracy: +0
Attack Time: 1 sec
Damage Type: Physical
Special Features: Heals 1 HP per action. Enemies know where you are, because you're holding something they learned to fear and rage against in an angry mob (No pitchforks, thankfully).

Going for a unique not based on... pretty much anything. Only the HP Regen feature was based on Excalibur and it's magical sheath but, pretty much, the rest is an invention of mine. Basically, it should act like an upgraded version of the Butcher's Cleaver, having high attack, but not as high as that of the LS or the DS. The healing effect was left at 1 HP to not make it too much of a gamebreaker.

EDIT: Added the suggestion given by Frankosity. I liked it. A LOT.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:14 by Kashi »
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 14, 2011, 20:49 »

Frostmourne
"Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."

Damage; 8d8
Speed: 1
Accuracy; +1
Damage type; Plasma (!)
In-game description; "I don't like thise whispers.."

Special; Every 2 seconds, you're drained 1 hp, however it cannot kill you. Every opponent you kill, restores 4 hp. Once equipted, this cursed blade cannot be taken off.

Reference; Warcraft 3.
i dont even know anymore

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #579 on: February 14, 2011, 21:01 »

As long as we're doing Melee weapons...

Mourning Star
Time to crush some demonic skulls
Damage: 7d5 (range 7-35)
Speed: 1.10/swing
Accuracy: 0
Damage type: Physical
Inventory Description: When all you have is a hammer...
Special: Chance to stun enemy == current HP% (where stun = enemy misses next action)

I think the attack speed of the Mourning Star is where this will be balanced best; the damage is better than a shotgun and there's a chance to stunlock enemies (Naturally, unique enemies should be immune to this, or at least highly resistant). The drawbacks? It's slow already and you have to be in melee to use it.

As for pointless references...

Miss Muffy
Let's return you to your owner, little dolly.
Inventory Description: "A child's plaything... why is this here in Hell?"
On Use: Gives message "You hear a voice long dead echo in the back of your mind... 'WILL YOU PUT THAT AWAY! What would Hercules think if he saw you playing with that?'" (does nothing else)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 21:22 by raekuul »
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 15, 2011, 11:35 »

Diabolus Interfectum
It's a good idea, but unfortunately I think any kind of costless HP renewal is game breaking. there's nothing to stop you finding a safe place after every fight to get your health back to maximum. Although, one way to balance that could be that it lets every enemy on the level know where you are and aggro on you, so you won't be able to find any breathing space as long as the level is populated...

Kashi

• Elder
  • Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 15, 2011, 12:10 »

It's a good idea, but unfortunately I think any kind of costless HP renewal is game breaking. there's nothing to stop you finding a safe place after every fight to get your health back to maximum. Although, one way to balance that could be that it lets every enemy on the level know where you are and aggro on you, so you won't be able to find any breathing space as long as the level is populated...
Interesting. That's a nice addition, yes.
[22][10][5][1][0]
"Tururu..."

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 16, 2011, 12:26 »

I don't know if this really deserves its own thread, so I'll mention it here: I've been thinking about the Berserker Armour, and how it relates to the Dragonslayer. As it is, the DS is an absurdly rare easter egg weapon which is unusable except under very specific circumstances, but now you've got this armour which complements it for flavour, and I guess it feels a bit of a waste of potential to have a couple of interlinked items that are both highly elusive and a puzzle to use.

What I was thinking was this: the Berserker Armour could basically have the stats it has currently (maybe more protection?) but wearing it drives you permanently berserk. Like the Cybernetic Armour, it's cursed, and with it equipped you're subjected to a variant of the Masochism rules: you can only heal through Berserk and Invulnerability orbs. Alternatively, healing is disabled altogether. It's basically a gigantic power boost, but at the cost of your HP becoming a ticking clock, dwindling as the monsters whittle you down.

With these abilities the Armour could be as common as the other high-end unique armours like the Necroarmour, considering the substantial drawbacks to the power boost.

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #583 on: February 16, 2011, 13:06 »

Hey man, we don't even know what the combo DOES yet (or if it's even a combo). For all we know it could suddenly transport you into a Berserk mini-game (much like BerserkRL) except all the baddies are formers without guns, or it could grant permanent whirlwind (you hitting everything adjacent to you on attack), or you just WIN THE GAME right then and there. I'd wait until we find out the actual use of the Berserker Armor before undervaluing it.

Also, I probably wouldn't wear it if was cursed AND masochistic. It's got -70% move speed on top of that, you know.
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 16, 2011, 14:13 »

Yeah, I know we don't know what the combo does, I was just suggesting a way in which the Armour could be conventionally useful, because as it is it's just another rare unique that's effectively useless unless you've already found and know how to pick up the OTHER rare unique.

Alternatively, I'll just suggest the overall concept as a separate item. I just like the idea of a piece of equipment that gives you a tremendous boost but puts a big ticking clock over your head, so you have to carefully consider the risks and rewards of equipping it.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57