Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 22:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ummmm.......How do you win? help?  (Read 3395 times)

Findle

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Ummmm.......How do you win? help?
« on: March 05, 2009, 19:51 »

i always die just at lvl 23. I cant get past the hordes of archviles. Or its filled /w barrels and Mancubi. Any startagies or tips? Even with several uniques at once i still always die.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: Ummmm.......How do you win? help?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 20:01 »

Lurn2Plan. Lurn2Conserve. Lurn2Strategy.

Why yes, I just came from 4chan. How could you tell?

Also, you can use one thread for these things.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 02:42 »

i always die just at lvl 23. I cant get past the hordes of archviles. Or its filled /w barrels and Mancubi. Any startagies or tips? Even with several uniques at once i still always die.

If at first you don't succeed....

I'd say a key is to build flexibility in to your play style:
Be ready to change your strategy on a dime depending on the monsters or level layout
Collect a few emergency items like (homing) phase devices and a BFG ready to rock.
Don't forget about the 'run' ability
Be ready to cut and run for the stairs if you can, especially in later levels.
And always remember that this is turn-based so you can sit and think about what your next move is for as long as you want! Patience!

Pretty general advice, but it should get you started.

Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:39 »

Well, if you have two homing phase devices, you can easily skip those levels. Is arch-ville is behind a group of monsters, try to get at his back.

When I have lots of ammo, I just tend to shoot blindly hoping to hear the "Arch-ville pain" sound. That's where my next round of lead will be coming. Remember, that actually only monster that you have to kill to win the game is Cyberdaemon (and one of the Doom's programmers if you are smarter than Hell itself).

Besides, it  is always good to die 100 times and find the strategy that best suits you. I for example tend to get eagle-eye, then cat's eyes, and then Son of a Bitch. If I get unique pistol, i pack everything to Son of a Gun. This way, I have at least little control who attacks me (with that traits and unique pistols monsters get knocked back easily). A sidearm is BFG. Good, if it is with magazine mod.

Other people will tend to say, nah, this is useless, you are low onn health, can get killed easily, etc. etc. I am right, and they are right. You have to find a strategy that best suits you!

The main rule is to watch everything what is going around you. Never, never ever try to run using the cursors. If some monster spots you, and you just keep tapping the arrow keys, that monster will get 2-3 free shots at you. At higher level it means certain death.
Watch out for levers. I use them after I finish the level. Sometimes they will spawn monsters (this usually means free xp for you!), sometimes they will heal you, sometimes the barrels will explode. The main rule, when using levers: make sure that barells won't damage the powerups that are on the level and that they will not damage you when you use the lever. And always use the levers, that are near to exit or door, in case that room becomes flooded with lava, you get a chance of escaping.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:22 by Melon »
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 07:04 »

Remember, that actually only monster that you have to kill to win the game is Cyberdaemon (and one of the Doom's programmers if you are smarter than Hell itself).

Fixed ;)
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:23 »

Remember, that actually only monster that you have to kill to win the game is Cyberdaemon (and one of the Doom's programmers if you are smarter than Hell itself).

Fixed ;)

Ai! I also fixed that [;
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!
Pages: [1]