Chaosforge Forum

• May 19, 2024, 17:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: My Dream Patch Notes v1.0  (Read 13818 times)

LoneVandal

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Re: My Dream Patch Notes v1.0
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 17:30 »

About the spike treads, boots already have an inital lowering of knockback.  That's more the reason why I think the mod would pretty much be useless.  Furthermore, I wouldn't want an extremely high knockback protection.  Knockback can help you get out of a really bad situtaion *provided you survive the inital attack(s)*.

Good point about demon stalker for melee builds, though it makes me bring up the point that this game isn't like most roguelikes *at least the ones I've played* its based off Doom, a game where you use EVERY weapon, not just limiting yourself to one or two.  I'm a real Doom fanatic and i'm a bit more biased for DoomRL to be more doomish then RL...which is why I like seeing alot of suggestions...broadens my view, not to mention allows good debating like this :).

I forgot about your Rocket Jockey idea to be honest after I browsed over it a few times :S...in some cases it would be better, in others Ironman would be *When Spideys Attack!  A horror movie coming to your location!...or...Pain elemental cavern anyone?*.  Plus factoring in the armor reduction could make Rocket Jockey overpowered.  I don't think I've ever seen a monster above Hell knight miss more than 1 out of 4 melee strikes...if even that.  Then again, I always play on UV/N!, where accuracy is higher for your enemies if I remember correctly.  Btw...what is that...shady thing lurking in the corner...*pokes shady thing* ;)

The accuracy thing for the shotty just really doesn't appeal to me...For most people who stick to builds it works I guess, but I don't stick to one weapon, I use most of them.  I stick to the combat shotty for groups of weak/mid hellspawn or even large groups of tougher foes, rockets for Arch-Viles and what they're ressing, CG for the base weapon, and PG for when I really need frying power.

About 2x berserk duration...even with the nerfed effects, +2 damage reduction with your 2 TaN and your improved Protection modded Red armor '+6'...=10.  Still to powerful to have the double duration, particularly with Rocket Jockey.  Map size may be alot smaller...but you're also dealing with the fact that you can't just run circles around the monsters like you can in Doom.

Interesting idea.  As Kornel said though...its a coffee break game.  If a varient is made however...as I said....interesting idea :P.

Kornel answered the last two pretty well.  He is the shady lurking creator in the corner after all.

Like I said, the numbers in my first post would definitely be subject to playtesting and tweaking, maybe you're right that 40% is too much on Rocket Jockey, and the boost to Berserk duration as well.  There isn't really a point in picking on numbers like that without a way to test them.  I keep talking about shotties because imo they just aren't good weapons as it is right now.  It isn't even about making a "build" around using just them.  I guess if you're out of chaingun ammo it could be worth it, but there are very few times you would be fighting a crowd of monsters and be incapable of just using a rocket and killing them all at long range if you're smart and blow up walls instead of opening doors to rooms full of baddies once you've got the RL.

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: My Dream Patch Notes v1.0
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 18:52 »

I guess if you're out of chaingun ammo it could be worth it, but there are very few times you would be fighting a crowd of monsters and be incapable of just using a rocket and killing them all at long range if you're smart and blow up walls instead of opening doors to rooms full of baddies once you've got the RL.

Oh believe me I had billions of situations with a horde of monsters too close to use a rocket. Tat is why I'm really with you on tweaking shooties, but as I said there should be a detachable choke and a duckbill.

Just in case anyone is wondering

- A choke makes the round pattern of buckshot tighter, thus increasing the shooty's range and damage, but the area of spread is smaller.
-A duckbill on the other hand makes the pattern more elliptic and wider, sacrificing the density in the process.

Of course this is more complex but I am keeping it simple, also frankly I don't know the exact details so I won't go into them google that if you're curious.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All