Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thinking out loud  (Read 11511 times)

lyconaut

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
Thinking out loud
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:32 »

So, i've played DoomRL for a while now. Have something like 30 deaths.
In the normal game I've gotten to lvl 12. What is completely strange is that in AoMr I managed (on the first try) to get up to lvl 14 (banging my head on the wall that i couldn't make it up to 15 to get the Corporal requisite). Is AoMr actually easier with that beautiful adv pistol? At least on earlier levels?
I only play on HMP, don't ask why. I see no point in playing easier diff. Which is kind of annoying. HMP won't let me play (i am not that good yet) and my stupid conscience won't let me play any easier than that.
One last point. I heeded the Wiki's advice not to be spoiled, so i only read Unique entries after i have collected them (so far: Blaster, Butcher's Cleaver of course, Assault Shotgun, Phaseshift Armor and Gothic Boots) and the special stages only after i go into them (more risk, but boy, what fun). So i was granted two excellent gaming moments. AoMr, lvl 13 i hear quite close to me a new sound. I was actually very-very afraid for the life of my little @, before i realized this is a game. It was a Mancubus, i think. Second, i had gotten to the Wall. Materialize. Quiet. Move a couple of spaces. Nothing. Everything is quiet. You know the feeling if you have gotten to the Wall without reading up on it. Start blasting at the Wall. Won't spoil it for the people who haven't been there, but when i finally blasted through i stared at my screen for a long time before i made my next move :)
All in all an excellent game. Waiting for the new release so that i can really go to town with the player file and the unique list and everything else that KK is planning. Keep running.

Toan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking out loud
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:38 »

So, i've played DoomRL for a while now. Have something like 30 deaths.
In the normal game I've gotten to lvl 12. What is completely strange is that in AoMr I managed (on the first try) to get up to lvl 14 (banging my head on the wall that i couldn't make it up to 15 to get the Corporal requisite). Is AoMr actually easier with that beautiful adv pistol? At least on earlier levels?
I only play on HMP, don't ask why. I see no point in playing easier diff. Which is kind of annoying. HMP won't let me play (i am not that good yet) and my stupid conscience won't let me play any easier than that.
One last point. I heeded the Wiki's advice not to be spoiled, so i only read Unique entries after i have collected them (so far: Blaster, Butcher's Cleaver of course, Assault Shotgun, Phaseshift Armor and Gothic Boots) and the special stages only after i go into them (more risk, but boy, what fun). So i was granted two excellent gaming moments. AoMr, lvl 13 i hear quite close to me a new sound. I was actually very-very afraid for the life of my little @, before i realized this is a game. It was a Mancubus, i think. Second, i had gotten to the Wall. Materialize. Quiet. Move a couple of spaces. Nothing. Everything is quiet. You know the feeling if you have gotten to the Wall without reading up on it. Start blasting at the Wall. Won't spoil it for the people who haven't been there, but when i finally blasted through i stared at my screen for a long time before i made my next move :)
All in all an excellent game. Waiting for the new release so that i can really go to town with the player file and the unique list and everything else that KK is planning. Keep running.

Hmm, i haven't gotten gothic boots yet, are they good? Getting to level 15 is pretty easy in AoMr, but considering i only play on the lowest possible difficulty.....;) But i do believe that AoMr is easier to get down levels than a normal game, why, i can't tell. Maybe a little CE or Int may help with survival. Good luck.
Cacodemon Sergeant
[11/3/1/0/0]

lyconaut

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 04:17 »

Hi, thanks for your suggestions, I used to take intuition but since i play chaingun i dropped it for SoB. Intuition is only good at 3rd level. The rest i could really do without. Gothic Boots were slow. Never use them.
On the other hand i have found no use in strafing against imps. Is there a reason for that? Cacs may miss from time to time, but darn imps find the sweet spot about 80% of the time. No, i don't get HR, but i do know how to run :)

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:28 »

Imps his the sweet spot 80% of the time because their shots are (a) small and (2) easier to aim. Best way to avoid their fireballs is to get them in melee range. Of course, that doesn't work if there's more than 2 of them...

Intuition is most useful at level 3, yes, but level 2 int has the added perk of saying exactly what a lever does.

Unless you're finding a metric shitload of mods in the early levels, the advanced pistol is exactly the same as a regular pistol.

I think that part of the reason that AoMr is easier in the early game is the fact that Pistols have the highest base accuracy, and you're going to be taking SoG - for speed bonus and damage bonus.

Hmm, now I want to cheat up a SoG(3), DG, SoB(3), Finesse(2) character and see how far he gets...
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Toan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14 »

Imps, eh? they aren't too hard to take down in AoMr, it's when you get to AoB.......does anyone here EVER use whizkid? i mean, it seems nice, but 16 mods is a bit much.....
Cacodemon Sergeant
[11/3/1/0/0]

Kao

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 11:23 »

Does anyone here EVER use whizkid? i mean, it seems nice, but 16 mods is a bit much.....

Yeah but then again FIND 16 mods :D

Toan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 15:31 »

Does anyone here EVER use whizkid? i mean, it seems nice, but 16 mods is a bit much.....

Yeah but then again FIND 16 mods :D

well, there is a limit on mods, right? 3 of each? so...you're gonna have to find lots of different mods...
Cacodemon Sergeant
[11/3/1/0/0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 16:46 »

Whizkid maxes out at 2, I think.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

lyconaut

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:22 »

@raekuul: tried AoB. Imps. Ouch. Loved "metric shitload" :) Oh, sweet jesus, i'll have to use that traitpath!

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 18:38 »

AoMr is easier if you find the mods that you need to turn your advanced pistol into a pocket chaingun that has higher accuracy and more efficient ammo usage.

The first win I had was on AoMr, and I found the aforementioned metric shitload of mods. 3 mag size, 3 damage, 3 speed, 2 accuracy and 1 reload. You really can't go wrong after that. Also helped that I found the Beretta. A good pistol run can be comically efficient.

Or it can be a peashooter, YMMV.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 10:20 »

@raekuul: tried AoB. Imps. Ouch. Loved "metric shitload" :) Oh, sweet jesus, i'll have to use that traitpath!

Well, if I cheat up that traitpath, I'd be combining savescumming with using T-Search to get those traits before the second floor and then locking experience points. How much XP should we have at level 9?

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 06:04 »

Hmm, i haven't gotten gothic boots yet, are they good?
They are good if you want to cross Lava and do not have any Env. Suit. Or if you do not want to have knocback for some reason.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 11:01 »

Gothic Boots aren't THAT slow; most unique armors have a movement bonus to offset the weight of your KICK ASS HELL BOOTS FORGED FROM PURE AWESOME IN THE PIT. an armor mobility mod will work, even. I put them on and never look back when i find them.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 11:58 »

Actually i hate Gothic Boots... I only bother picking them up if i want to hit the Fire Pits and don't have any envirosuits :S.
Now, PhaseShift Boots, that's a pair of shiny boots.

About the AoMr feeling easy, it depends a lot on getting lucky drops. Early mods will make the game slightly easier... unique pistols will make the game a walkover. By the way i once dualgunned a Trigun and a Beretta if people feel like insulting the RNG.

lyconaut

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 02:58 »

Ok, Captain update and a few other things. First of all, thank you all for your comments. Now, i've played some more and have a few more thoughts to share.
First of all, attained Captain Rank *shouts of glee all around, bows modestly to the crowds*
Secondly, is AoI known to have more unique and advanced drops. I invite you to scrutinize the lovely screenshots i have prepared for you below. Two consecutive games.

This is the first, i had never seen this before

And this, wtf? (explanations needed: i only read the uniques and special levels wiki after i have encountered them on the field, so i had no idea what i should have been doing)
*hint* look at my equipped weapon (i was playing shottyman and eventually won by thermie, mortems to follow)*

Finally,
I have started playing full-screen even though i like the above font much more. Is there a way to play full-screen with this font? This must be a pretty nooby question, i know... *sigh*

Wish me luck, Angel of Fucking Purity beckons...

Pages: [1] 2  All