Chaosforge Forum

• May 05, 2024, 14:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Demos recording AND something else!  (Read 2028 times)

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
Demos recording AND something else!
« on: June 01, 2009, 14:42 »

I'm aware that Kornel knows about this - I mean demo support so we can play demos with sound and all... and in addition, it would be nice to be able to select level in demo replay, so we could easily navigate.. and also.. what would you say on some new type of info (that wouldn't be necessary in mortem) like 'tighest spots' - DoomRL searches for moments in your game when you had very low amount of health and lot of monsters to defeat (or no medpacks and low hp + monsters) and you can select it and watch this in demo right away (maybe after seeing your every mortem this should be avaiable? To quickly recap your moments). Or something like skipping to moments when you've found unique weapons (but I guess that's not that good idea ;p). More ideas: barrel kills (when you trigger chained explosion of barrels and kill enemies); killstreak (like when you kill enemy with let's say max 'no kill' time of 3 turns); 'oh shit!' situations (lava/acid whole level switch or phase right into a mess), most kills in 1 turn (barrel kills wouldn't be counted; maybe double shooty kills, or RL or bfg). In long games like Ao100 it would be a long list so I suggest that should be something like top10 of all of these, or top5... Maybe it's possible, the game just should gather these information while playing (counting killstreak and so on)..
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Demos recording AND something else!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 16:01 »

I'm aware that Kornel knows about this - I mean demo support so we can play demos with sound and all... and in addition, it would be nice to be able to select level in demo replay, so we could easily navigate.. and also.. what would you say on some new type of info (that wouldn't be necessary in mortem) like 'tighest spots' - DoomRL searches for moments in your game when you had very low amount of health and lot of monsters to defeat (or no medpacks and low hp + monsters) and you can select it and watch this in demo right away (maybe after seeing your every mortem this should be avaiable? To quickly recap your moments). Or something like skipping to moments when you've found unique weapons (but I guess that's not that good idea ;p). More ideas: barrel kills (when you trigger chained explosion of barrels and kill enemies); killstreak (like when you kill enemy with let's say max 'no kill' time of 3 turns); 'oh shit!' situations (lava/acid whole level switch or phase right into a mess), most kills in 1 turn (barrel kills wouldn't be counted; maybe double shooty kills, or RL or bfg). In long games like Ao100 it would be a long list so I suggest that should be something like top10 of all of these, or top5... Maybe it's possible, the game just should gather these information while playing (counting killstreak and so on)..
KISS. The owner of the video can just note the number of the frame (or minute/second) that something interesting happened in the videos description. If you want to find other interesting stuff - just go ahead and sit through the rest or simply put it on fast forward until you find something interesting.
These are the basic options we need: play, pause, rewind, next frame, previous frame, speed up, speed down, jump to frame / jump to time. We don't need to waste Kornel's time on some crippled form of AI that is going to TRY to find out what we might find interesting. I'd rather he concentrated on more important matters.
And besides... it's not like most of these videos are that long anyway. It's one of the fastest-paced roguelikes there are (if not THE fastest).

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:21 »

Yea, I guess you're right. That idea could work if Kornel had a lot of spare time but then there are more important things like you said :) I just wanted to write it, maybe someday someone could do that..
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 07:16 »

I added a link here to the bugtracker in the recorder task, so no idea is lost ;-)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

metroidRL

• Sergeant Major
  • Arch-vile major general
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 21:13 »

omg is the best idea now everybody would see videos without downloading stuff
[24]    [20]   [15]  [07]       [03]
Bronze Silver Gold  Platinum  Diamond
Assemblies: 31/40;  Uniques and Exotics: 56/60;  Medals: 26/42.
Pages: [1]