Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 14:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Stuff about morale and running  (Read 8945 times)

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
Stuff about morale and running
« on: March 27, 2009, 23:46 »

I think it makes sense that a little demon might shit its pants and leg it when I slaughter a Baron of Hell. Especially if he's alone. And wounded. Also, the greater the contrast with the one I killed and the one running away, the bigger chance of SQUAD BROKEN. Even bigger chance if you're berserking and running after him with a chainsaw or something like that.

It would also make sense that when hit points go past 100%, you'd have enough energy to keep running indefinitely. It'd increase the decay rate, though, and when HP hits hundred, you'll have to stop.

Speaking of which, there needs to be a trait for running more. Marathon. Requires two points at Hellrunner. Doubles the time you can keep running before getting tired: Once your normal running time is out, it goes back to cautious instead of tired, and you can have another run before really burning out. (When combined with the above suggestion, it'd decrease the decay rate of HP while running.)

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff about morale and running
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:48 »

I think it makes sense that a little demon might shit its pants and leg it when I slaughter a Baron of Hell. Especially if he's alone. And wounded. Also, the greater the contrast with the one I killed and the one running away, the bigger chance of SQUAD BROKEN. Even bigger chance if you're berserking and running after him with a chainsaw or something like that.[/qoute]

It would also make sense if you just commit suicide, after seeing all those hellish monsters [;
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 02:00 »

It would also make sense if you just commit suicide, after seeing all those hellish monsters

No it wouldn't, doomguy is BADASS.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:50 »

It would also make sense if you just commit suicide, after seeing all those hellish monsters

No it wouldn't, doomguy is BADASS.
Nope, he is just pumped with steroids [;

... niczym bracia!

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:18 »

Even so. Your argument is invalid and contributes nothing to this thread.

Julius Clonkus

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 13:24 »

I agree with morale. If weaker hellspawn see a stronger hellspawn being killed without a lot of problems, it'd make sense if they'd run away and stay together, unless they are outnumbering you by far.

This morale thing shouldn't affect the zombies, though. They're possessed, and the demonic energy inside them doesn't need to worry about being killed, so they're not scared of nothing.

About the running enhancement, it sounds pretty fair, but I always forget about "running" when I need it the most. Which gets me killed. Every. friggin. time.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 17:26 »

the hellish ranks aren't known for self-preservation. situation A: imp dies at the hands of Doomguy. imp is resurrected on-the-spot by V. situation B: imp is NOT resurrected but doesn't care because 1. he got a couple hits in on Doomguy, thus justifying his existence and/or 2. his existence is so horrifying and painful that death is a reprieve.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 17:28 »

as for the other lower-tier monsters, demons=HUNGER! lost souls=BLOOD! Cacodemons should still fear the chainsaw, though.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

metroidRL

• Sergeant Major
  • Arch-vile major general
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 12:14 »

mmmm... common sense on doomRL
[24]    [20]   [15]  [07]       [03]
Bronze Silver Gold  Platinum  Diamond
Assemblies: 31/40;  Uniques and Exotics: 56/60;  Medals: 26/42.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 17:14 »

Believe me, demons have something worse to fear for desertion than just being slaughtered by bullets.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 04:35 »

Believe me, demons have something worse to fear for desertion than just being slaughtered by bullets.

But surely his highness (cyberdemon) understands the difference between desertion and a strategic withdrawal though (which is sort of what Julius Clonkus was suggesting in that maybe a scared Imp could try to retreat to the largest group of his allies before turning on you again), right?

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 08:11 »

But surely his highness (cyberdemon) understands the difference between desertion and a strategic withdrawal though (which is sort of what Julius Clonkus was suggesting in that maybe a scared Imp could try to retreat to the largest group of his allies before turning on you again), right?

If there wasn't such a thing as a retreat for Soviet High Command, why should it be for daemons? ;P

... niczym bracia!

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 03:51 »

yeaa :D Morale kinda sucks... cmon, monsters from hell escaping from a mere human? :P In ID's doom monsters weren't that pussy.
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 11:39 »

I don't like this idea because it's antithetical to how Doom plays.  Flinch would make sense, friendly fire would make sense, morale simply has no place in Doom.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 13:34 »

I don't like this idea because it's antithetical to how Doom plays.  Flinch would make sense, friendly fire would make sense, morale simply has no place in Doom.

I would rather think that the marine would have to worry about the morale, not the 2m high Hell Knight hurling acid balls around the place.
Anyone played Call of Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QThupRf79Ro
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 13:53 by Melon »

... niczym bracia!
Pages: [1] 2  All