Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Donation driven development  (Read 20762 times)

torch

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: Donation driven development
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 02:55 »

Even if the graphics were crudely implemented to begin with (hint: just hack something out in your spare time), you should see a big increase in the number of followers!

Thirded, and isn't there that beautiful graphic set over in the graphics thread.  That would look so cool. 

DoomRL has REAL atmosphere with the sounds and ASCII representation.  It feels great and plays very well.  I think if new people saw the graphics it would tempt them into trying the game out and the game play would make them come back for more.  You could have some really nice screenshots over at TIGSource for example. 

IMHO, I think I would write an engine that could work with the graphics.  Forget making all the levels, just have one level to start with, cram in a random bunch of bad guys and release that. 

1) Tell your chosen indie site that you are going for graphics and get them a screenshot of the tileset. 

2) A week or so later, release your one level design so now there is a screenshot of the graphics in action. 

3) Work on implementing more of the game, a DoomRL Lite with some levels and a sense of progression, release that. 

4) Release the game in it's entirety.  This gradual progression will keep you in the public eye for a few weeks, should interest a lot of people. 

Having said all that...
Good luck with the PhD, to be honest, I want to hear that is going well rather than this tileset idea. 

Edit: PhD, not PHD.  I'm such an uncultured swine. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:57 by torch »
the monsters are looking forward to your make-believe visit

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36 »

1) Tell your chosen indie site that you are going for graphics and get them a screenshot of the tileset. 

2) A week or so later, release your one level design so now there is a screenshot of the graphics in action. 

3) Work on implementing more of the game, a DoomRL Lite with some levels and a sense of progression, release that. 

4) Release the game in it's entirety.  This gradual progression will keep you in the public eye for a few weeks, should interest a lot of people. 
Basically what you're suggesting is DoomRL2, written from scratch, right? :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 03:06 »

Coding doesn't take more than an hour or two, right? =D
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 03:15 »

I need libNeko for that, and that's where you can help ;-).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

torch

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 07:56 »

Would you?  That would be great.  :D

Argh!  I misunderstood a previous post, I forgot Berserk! had graphics and that was Free Pascal as well.  I mistakenly thought you would be looking at having to port all the Free Pascal code into a new language that handled the graphics better. 

I have no answer to that other than I know better... 
the monsters are looking forward to your make-believe visit

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 16:11 »

I haven't taken the time to read through the entire thread, as I'm pretty busy right now, but-

Years, literally, of playing DoomRL and of lurking in this site have made me morally obligated, not to mention wholly interested, to contribute in whatever way I can.
I haven't forgotten promising a couple years back that I'd donate - I simply haven't been able to yet.
I have my own financial problems to deal with :)
However, I hope I'll be able to fulfill that promise soon, but at the very worst it'll take longer.

DoomRL is, without a doubt, one of my favorite computer games.
I have every interest that it'll be kept alive :)
Naturally, this goes with an enormous "Thank You" to Kornel for having developed it and for having kept it free all these years.

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 03:43 »

Hi... First of all congratz on a really fun game Kornel.

I'm on the give graphics to DoomRL lobby, so make it a priority ++++ :P.
Anyway, i'm not currently in a financial position for donations but i'm not embarrased of my Photoshop skills so... if you ever need a graphics tileset i should be able to provide one np.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 04:30 »

As far as graphical needs go, I'd need square logos for all the projects, in 4 sizes each ( 140x140, 100x100, 64x64 and 32x32 ). Of course a single logo downsized would suffice (especially if the original was vector-bases)...

( all the projects refer to DoomRL/DiabloRL/Berserk!/AliensRL/FPCValkyrie/Neko, with a special hunch on DiabloRL, FPCValkyrie and Neko )

Anyone willing to help?
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All