Melon:

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on April 27, 2009, 04:09 ---C++ Programmer

Skills needed

* very good C++ skills
* knowledge of STL and Boost
* good knowledge of roguelikes
* Linux/MacOS X/SDL/OpenAL/OpenGL knowledge a big advantage
Responsible for

* cooperation on the development of the Neko library (the new roguelike engine)
* bugfixing and testing
Difficulty : high
Responsibility : medium
Time investment : medium

--- End quote ---
As I am beginning my journey with C++ I would gladly help, since it would motivate me more to learn it. I have a weak knowledge of C++, but I am more experienced in C, in which I made several projects during my studies and write in it my own DooMRL clone. I think that knowledge would help in understanding C++. Right now I am starting the Prata's book on programming in C++.
I also have knowledge of VHDL, but don't know if that counts ;P

I played Nethack and it's clones, ADOM, Rogue and of course DooMRL. The biggest fun was with DooMRL and with ADOM.

Right now I have a lot of spare time, even though I have lots of activities. I can promise, that although my knowledge isn't very deep, I will work hard on improving myself.

Tavana:
I just recently joined the forum when I got a bit of free time and decided to help with DiabloRL...only to discover that the Valkyrie code is no longer compatible with the source. Either that or FPC 2.2.4 is having issues. Or both. More importantly, to your topic:

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on April 27, 2009, 04:09 ---Web Programmer

Skills needed

* good knowledge of PHP/Ruby/Python and the ability to deploy it on a shared hosting environment
* knowledge of MySQL
* knowledge of how to handle binary data in that language
Responsible for

* writing a scoreboard and player database ( parsing of score.dat/player.dat )
* writing rankings, charts and handling of player data
* designing a fun and exciting system of browsing the forementioned data
* maintenace of the system once it's completed, integration into the forum
Difficulty : medium

--- End quote ---

I'm reasonably competent with Php. Ruby and Python no, though. I'd be willing to pick them up, but probably there are others who are more qualified for this position. MYSQL and the 1's and 0's and I get along fine. Except for the occasional lover's spat.

--- Quote from: Kornel Kisielewicz on April 27, 2009, 04:09 ---C++ Programmer

Skills needed

* very good C++ skills
* knowledge of STL and Boost
* good knowledge of roguelikes
* Linux/MacOS X/SDL/OpenAL/OpenGL knowledge a big advantage
Responsible for

* cooperation on the development of the Neko library (the new roguelike engine)
* bugfixing and testing
Difficulty : high

--- End quote ---

I'd say I've got -almost- very good C++ skills. Albeit it's been about three years since I've written anything with the language. Hmmm...about the same amount of time since I got hitched... >.>

I've used STL and Boost libraries, but not truely in depth. They've also probably changed a bit since I've last coded.

There is a large section of my life that's dedicated to Roguelikes. My only downfall is I like to try to decimate games. See every ending, every possible combination of reactions from alignment, et cetera. I usually get bored with this before I complete my goal.

I really enjoy bugfixing, testing, and general streamlining of code. One of my big joys in life was to revisit my old code after writing something new and go "Wow. That could be done in three less lines." and spend a week perfecting it before moving on to new projects.

The wife is currently at University, giving me heaps of free time, except for when she steals the computer for an assignment.

Afterthought: Depending on Melon and my time difference, we could collaborate on the C++ programming? But then it's more of a Dev Team than an individual effort.

Kornel Kisielewicz:

--- Quote from: Melon on April 28, 2009, 05:31 ---As I am beginning my journey with C++ I would gladly help, since it would motivate me more to learn it. I have a weak knowledge of C++, but I am more experienced in C, in which I made several projects during my studies and write in it my own DooMRL clone. I think that knowledge would help in understanding C++. Right now I am starting the Prata's book on programming in C++.
--- End quote ---
My suggestion would be to start with writing unit tests (Boost.Test is what I will probably use), to get familliar with the code as soon as it appears publicly ( probably before May 5 ). Also I strongly suggest reading both "Thinking in C++" tomes.

--- Quote from: Melon on April 28, 2009, 05:31 ---Right now I have a lot of spare time, even though I have lots of activities. I can promise, that although my knowledge isn't very deep, I will work hard on improving myself.

--- End quote ---
* Kornel Kisielewicz is excited :)

Kornel Kisielewicz:

--- Quote from: Tavana on April 28, 2009, 07:25 ---I'm reasonably competent with Php. Ruby and Python no, though. I'd be willing to pick them up, but probably there are others who are more qualified for this position. MYSQL and the 1's and 0's and I get along fine. Except for the occasional lover's spat.

--- End quote ---
Well, this isn't something that will be needed very soon -- it's mainly for the web-dings for the scoreboard.

--- Quote from: Tavana on April 28, 2009, 07:25 ---I've used STL and Boost libraries, but not truely in depth. They've also probably changed a bit since I've last coded.

--- End quote ---
The lone fact that you've used Boost means much :).

--- Quote from: Tavana on April 28, 2009, 07:25 ---There is a large section of my life that's dedicated to Roguelikes. My only downfall is I like to try to decimate games. See every ending, every possible combination of reactions from alignment, et cetera. I usually get bored with this before I complete my goal.

--- End quote ---
I know that feeling. My goal was always to make a game so complex that while playing it, I'd need to forget about decimating it just because of the massive amount of possibilities.

--- Quote from: Tavana on April 28, 2009, 07:25 ---I really enjoy bugfixing, testing, and general streamlining of code. One of my big joys in life was to revisit my old code after writing something new and go "Wow. That could be done in three less lines." and spend a week perfecting it before moving on to new projects.

--- End quote ---
Music to my ears!

--- Quote from: Tavana on April 28, 2009, 07:25 ---Afterthought: Depending on Melon and my time difference, we could collaborate on the C++ programming? But then it's more of a Dev Team than an individual effort.

--- End quote ---
It's a dev-team anyway, and as far as C++ programming goes, there's no limit on the work to be done... And using SVN on SourceForge and a private SVN for non-public stuff makes collaboration easy. Actually I'm surprised that there are people who want to help with that :).

Blade:
I want to say that i'm still alive and checking CF forums quite often. I admit - i was a bit busy and lazy to answer trivial questions and to response to some suggestions. Shame on me. Will try to do that more often. Also Wiki and bugtracker management are still on me and i'm checking them sometimes. As soon as there will be more new good suggestions here - i will add them to the bugtracker.

With C++ i can't help right now. I have a quite good coding skill, but i'm already writing one project and i want to finish it first and to fix/add everything that will be suggested after release.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version