Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 04:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Addition] Artful Dodger Trait  (Read 4813 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
[Addition] Artful Dodger Trait
« on: April 28, 2009, 21:07 »

Artful Dodger
"Move and I'll shoot! Wait... no. I messed that up. I meant 'Shoot and I'll move'."
There isn't a demon alive that can catch you, fireballs or no fireballs. Once you get this trait, enemies will never be able to hit you unless you're standing perfectly still for them.
Increases dodgechance by infinity% while moving. You don't need to be strafing.

Requires Hellrunner 2.

Hellrunner has no advanced trait and shotguns are still a little underpowered, so I suggested this. There's no way to output damage while running and there are still 3 enemies in the game that never miss (And their never miss takes precedence over my always dodge) so I think it should be fine for balance.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Elnar

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: [Addition] Artful Dodger Trait
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 23:25 »

I think it`s very powerfull ... maybe -  "You need to dodge move and has 100% chance only vs first  2 atacks and standart dodge chance until you move again" will be better. Or 100% dodge only vs shots from one side.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 23:29 by Elnar »
We're going to Hell. And I'm driving the bus.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 00:47 »

I'd rather change it to 100% to dodge the first shot in a given turn.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Thomas

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:15 »

I'd rather change it to 100% to dodge the first shot in a given turn.
If you mean that you autododge the first shot even if you're not moving then that sounds fine to me.

Oh, what do you mean by "given turn", 1 ingame second? The time between 2 player actions?
[26/26/26/25/9/1]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 03:07 »

No, I meant auto-dodging the first shot aimed at you during a move.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Thomas

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 03:33 »

I think if it only applies to the first shot during movement it isn't powerful enough for a whole trait-level. Besides, how am I supposed to figure out which enemy will shoot first? If I'm surrounded, it'd make sense to try and strafe all of them except for the one that I'm going to autododge anyway.

I'd say that you should either autododge the first shot on any command, movement or not.
Or maybe you could make it "Autododge as long as you were going to strafe it anyway". That way it'll turn all of your 95% chances in to 100% dodge chances. It's not much on its own, but the 5% improvements would add up over time.
[26/26/26/25/9/1]

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 10:47 »

For me this trait looks too overpowered. It would make completion of the game on Nightmare difficulty an easy task because you would be able to just run and run and never stop. Not to mention AoPc. Not to mention melee. Shotguns and melee should be upped, but not with the help of a "must-have" trait.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 11:59 »

Just reduce the actual movement speed for each shot fired at you. You simply can't concentrate upon getting ahead when you have all those bullets fired at you.

Also, this would negate the dodging part of Hellrunner, which is a bit of a minus. Reduce the dodge chance to 50% or so: Adding up Hellrunner's bonus, it's still quite a large number.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 13:13 »

Imho it will work if it will give a 100% chance of dodge against first missile fired at you in one turn (only when moving), OR if it will give a 100% dodge chance against all missiles in one turn, but only if you were strafing against them, OR if it will give a 30% dodge chance + chance of Hellrunner (50% summary) on any command. First two options both will make player to avoid big groups of monsters, so he will try to fight one at a time. But against groups of monsters it will be not so useful. Third option will just give dodge boost, which, i think, is good (especially with prerequisite of Hellrunner*2).

Autododge on every command - is nono definitely. Imagine situation when you are facing Cybie, you have pistol, and you kill him without problems because he is firing one missile per turn, he will never hit you, and you can fire and dance and do anything around him as long as you want.

It is a really worthy trait even in the way that i suggested, and it worth picking even for non-shotgun players (chaingun players maybe won't pick it because of prerequisite, but for melee it can change all the way they are allocating traits).
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Thomas

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 00:49 »

OR if it will give a 100% dodge chance against all missiles in one turn, but only if you were strafing against them.

Yeah, that's basically what my last post was saying.

OR if it will give a 30% dodge chance + chance of Hellrunner (50% summary) on any command.

Hm, this would be good too, but this might be a little overpowered on lower difficulties when you have around 50% dodgechance while moving anyway. Once you got this trait, you'd autododge on all movement as long as you weren't playing HMP+.

Autododge on every command - is nono definitely. Imagine situation when you are facing Cybie, you have pistol, and you kill him without problems because he is firing one missile per turn, he will never hit you, and you can fire and dance and do anything around him as long as you want.

Ah, right. I had not thought of this to begin with. That's why I suggested "Autododge if you were trying to strafe it anyway".

Just reduce the actual movement speed for each shot fired at you. You simply can't concentrate upon getting ahead when you have all those bullets fired at you.

This could be interesting, but it'd be weird to code. As you keep having your movespeed increased, the monsters will keep getting more chances to fire at you. It may result in an infinite loop.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.
[26/26/26/25/9/1]

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:48 »

No, I meant auto-dodging the first shot aimed at you during a move.

Sounds okay... certainly very potent (makes taking out lone Hell Knights & similar enemies a breeze).  Isn't it going to make fighting Cyberdemon way too easy?  He only gets 1 attack and then he even has to reload, so the artful dodger can just skip around until he fires his rocket, riddle him with buckshot, then start sprinting around again once he's reloaded.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 07:54 »

Cybie fires in sets of three, IIRC. If your back's to the wall, you're pretty much dead.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 18:13 »

Cybie fires in sets of three, IIRC. If your back's to the wall, you're pretty much dead.

He fires a single powerful rocket.  You're thinking of Mancubi.
Pages: [1]