Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 01:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tips for Angel of Purity?  (Read 3925 times)

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Tips for Angel of Purity?
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:24 »

So, after about 70 deaths I finally managed to beat Hurt Me Plenty, and now the only thing standing between me and Major rank is Angel of Purity. But I just can't beat the damn thing! What are the best traits/ tactics to use for this challenge?

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for Angel of Purity?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:18 »

Angel of purity isn't that much harder than the other heal restricted challenges, all you need to do is play a decent game of DoomRL (If you've beaten HMP then this shouldn't be too hard)

There is one thing to remember. While it's usually smart to not heal unless you desperately need it (and not carry many medpacks anyway), in AoPu you might as well use your small medpacks the second you hit 70% HP because there's no way to heal aside from medpacks. Still save your large ones for much later though, of course.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 17:37 »

Oh my god, this is soul crushing. I got to level 20 when I was killed the turn after I used a large health pack. Effing Arch-viles, I swear.

I've found that using a Cateye/SoaB build is effective for this challenge, since you kill things before they can get close enough to start damaging you.

Toan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 21:51 »

I finished AoI + AoLT going with this BO:

EE>EE>INT>INT>INT>CE>CE>EE>SOB>SOB

i got EE for kicks in AoI and for making sure ammo didn't run out the fast in AoLT. Maybe i should have changed the third EE for a SOB. But, rockets + INT = masses of stuff dead. You get exp and you don't get hurt, much.
Cacodemon Sergeant
[11/3/1/0/0]

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:23 »

Yes! I finally beat it. Jeeesus, that took way too many tries.

Props to Toan for the build. I started using it and on my third/fourth try I managed to get a standard win. Intuition and Cateye really help take the heat off, and in the endgame I just used it to avoid all the monsters and get to the staircase.

Time to mess around with Ao100, like I've been hoping to since I started climbing the ranks.

Toan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 04:08 »

Yup, all me! ;)

(now that i know my BO kinda works, i can try to finish that AoPurity HMP run and get more ranks :D)
Cacodemon Sergeant
[11/3/1/0/0]

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 15:54 »

I'd say it would be up to the player's discretion whether or not to take CE, since Int pretty much gives you the ability to see everything anyway. I liked having CE personally, but I could see the benefit in taking EE 2 int 3 then maxing out SoaB and doing whatever afterwards.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 16:09 »

I don't take Intuition much these days. It's kind of a concept choice; Catseye isn't so bad, but Intuition is a little too much like MAAAAAAGIIIIIIIIIC........plus i'm always a stubborn jerk bent on doing things the hard way.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.
Pages: [1]