Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 08:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 75% Offtopic - Roguelike development and Vault  (Read 7088 times)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
75% Offtopic - Roguelike development and Vault
« on: March 28, 2006, 12:26 »

Hmm..Where to start?

Ok, I know I allready posted something like this but could people please post links and information to resources that will enable me to build a Roguelike (I.E Compilers, Example RL's, Etc)

And second of all, I would like to throw out the idea for a project out into the open, See what you guys think of it.

I would like to ressurect an old game I was creating (Admittedly it was in Megazeux, So sue me) called "Vault", The basic idea is that at the start of a game a random number (10 digits or so) is generated, The vault is spun and then a unique game is created.

How it works is the first number determines when the game is set, The second number the Genre, And so on and so forth.

So the end result is a possible outcome of roughly 10,000,000,000 (Ten billion) different roguelikes that can come out of the same generator.

Basically its a random roguelike adventure generator.

I cant think of much to say here now, But its something I've wanted to make properly for quite a while..

*cough*

--

In summery, Please give me a hand with breaking into the RL development business.

Thank you for reading through my waffle.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 13:02 »

at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Glowie

• IRC-Op
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Frozen Depths
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 19:31 »

First you should learn a language well enough to use it in a roguelike project. Then just suck all necessary information from the newsgroups, roguelikedevelopment.org and the wide web. And don't forget to design it REALLY well! :)

Of course the thing you should do next depends on your situation, if you don't know any languages you should start by fetching a book and start teaching yourself, if you really want to do this. Believe me, it's much bigger task than you could ever imagine ;)

I think that idea of yours could work but I also think that it would require EXTREMELY much work if you are planning to do more than 2 game genres.

All new roguelike programmers should be welcomed with joy, have fun and good luck with your goal! :)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 20:26 »

One thing that has to be noted, and that most people do not know about -- it's a lot easier to write a "file manager", "strategy game" a "FPS" or many others, than it is to write a decent roguelike :-/.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 22:47 »

Quoting: Glowie

Of course the thing you should do next depends on your situation, if you don't know any languages you should start by fetching a book and start teaching yourself, if you really want to do this. Believe me, it's much bigger task than you could ever imagine ;)

Ok, I will check the library sometime soon..

--

Quoting: Glowie

All new roguelike programmers should be welcomed with joy, have fun and good luck with your goal! :)

Thanks for that!

--

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz

One thing that has to be noted, and that most people do not know about -- it's a lot easier to write a "file manager", "strategy game" a "FPS" or many others, than it is to write a decent roguelike :-/.

I can imagine, How hard was DoomRL to create?

--

Thanks for the help guys!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 22:54 »

Quoting: Anticheese
I can imagine, How hard was DoomRL to create?

Not much people know that (actually maybe only Ilya knows), but originaly DoomRL was meant nothing more then a test of a few ideas. It never meant to be released. Hence many things in the code were rushed, and done "just so it works". The core was written in 1-2 weeks, but:

1) I had a lot (failed) roguelike-specific experience beforehand
2) I had a decent Pascal knowledge
3) I had a IO library ready
4) The code was FULL of HACKS

So I guess it wasn't hard then, but it is a pain in the ass now :-(.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 09:36 »

Kornel forgot to mention the rec.games.roguelike.development usenet group - THE place for roguelike development (so bad I'm currently resticted to read-only access to it :(

If you need help with compilers, you'd better start with mastering the programming language of your choice (I'd suggest a pygame) and writing a more simple game than a roguelike. DRL might look uncomplicated (a bunch of # * and @ running around), but that is an illusion. Even 7DRLs are harder to make than they seem to be as they tend to use existing codebases.

Quoting: Anticheese
So the end result is a possible outcome of roughly 10,000,000,000 (Ten billion) different roguelikes that can come out of the same generator.

It's easy to make billions of something then it comes to computers, but if you have ten billions of interesting games in mind (with differences large than blue demons and green barons), than making such a generator isn't any easier than making all these billions yourself.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 19:39 »

Quoting: Aerton
so bad I'm currently resticted to read-only access to it

Aerton, if you really want it, I can provide you with an account on a polish e-mail provider, that also grants for it's members a newsserver that carries rgrd -- the only downside is that you need to provide their e-mail in the ReplyTo field. Not a big problem tough, you can mention in the sig that it's "fake" ;-)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]