Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 05:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: DoomRL programming crisis  (Read 11584 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
DoomRL programming crisis
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 19:45 »

Quoting: Aerton
First off, I'd strongly suggest not to go with DRL as a Carceri module. As far as I know (more accurately would be to say "as far I am allowed to know"), a readiness stage of Carceri is far away from handling a game with a complicateness level of the DRL.

It's not as immature as I thought it is. Yet, other your points are completely valid. Especialy:
so you most likely would have to choose to either sacrifice some of the rules of DRL or to add DRL-specific hacks and features to Carceri.

... with which I must fully agree :-/
Clearly, rewriting would be better in the long run, but how much more features are you going to add? (...) New features can be invented and added for an infinity, but you have to put a line somewhere.  

True. There is not THAT MUCH too add. Mainly content actually and graphics. I wonder if I can refactor the game enough to support what I have in plan. Because I am perfectly aware that it is time to move on to another project -- I don't want to get stuck with DoomRL ;-).

ouldn't it be better to declare the current version DRL a finished game and declare a new game as DRL II and do not put tight restrictions of exactly reproducing it (remaking things you did once is somewhat boring and players do not care when there is no difference to see) but take a chance and make a truly new game keeping the spirit and distinctive features of the DRL.

No, there will be no DRL II, because I don't have anough ideas to justify a new game. Once I'll finish the current goal of DoomRL I will continue to support it, but I will (after a short romance with DiabloRL) move on to Carceri, or (I don't yet know) to ... kheh ... GenRogue ;-).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Derek

• Team Artist
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.derekyu.com
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 05:17 »

Personally, I think you should just keep slapping more hacks onto your current codebase, rather than rewriting the game from scratch.  A rewrite just doesn't seem worth it for a game that's already totally playable and more or less bug-free.

Save the energy for another game. :)

And by the way, I don't know if you received my e-mail, but just let me know when you are starting on graphics and tell me what to do.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 14:13 »

Quoting: Derek

Personally, I think you should just keep slapping more hacks onto your current codebase, rather than rewriting the game from scratch. A rewrite just doesn't seem worth it for a game that's already totally playable and more or less bug-free.
Save the energy for another game. :)

Thank you for this comment :-). Basically I'm going to follow that :D.

Quoting: Derek

And by the way, I don't know if you received my e-mail, but just let me know when you are starting on graphics and tell me what to do.

I did recieve it, and I replied to it today. I'm realy sorry for that terrible reply-delay, but I'm still in the process of recovering from my helluva-of-a examsession :-(.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 03:40 »

Here's wishing you luck sorting things out.  I love the game, and hope for you to reach V-1.0.0
Over and Out!

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 06:00 »

Someday, SI9, Someday...

Does anyone know when DoomRL first came out?

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 06:44 »

Quoting: Anticheese
Does anyone know when DoomRL first came out?

According to version.txt
v.0.8 (beta)
(8.XI.2002)
-- first beta-test release

First public release was
v.0.9.5 (beta)
(1.I.2005)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 09:28 »

First public release was

Kheh, your the man to ask about that, for if it weren't for you, there would be no public release :-).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 11:01 »

Bet you would regret not listening to him now :-)

Are you guys Real-Life friends?
Pages: 1 [2]  All