Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 00:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cursed items  (Read 2650 times)

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Cursed items
« on: May 28, 2009, 04:34 »

Now, now, I know what you think. But I don't mean cursed items that wield themselves to your hands (although it's hell outthere on Phobos). What I mean, that med-packs could contain THC, so for some turns you wouldn't actually be able to shoot anyone (peace brother!).

Plasma rifles that tend to overheat, and that leads to a disaster - explosion of the plasma rifle (although plasma rifles are still high-tech, so you get a warning and 10 seconds to drop that weapon or throw away from you).

Advanced weapons that actually aren't that advanced at all. You are ready to put your 3 damage mods into the advanced combat shotgun, and after putting the second one.. WTF, I cannot put more mods to that gun.

And the most important, Thermonuclear bomb. You are almost dead, you plant the bomb and... damn it! The detonator's gone! That's why I always take some spare bombs with me...

How to check if an item is "cursed"?
Well, if you're an Ironman or Tough as Nails, you quickly can tell what's inside a medpack.
Having finesse, it's harder for you to destroy a plasma rifle.
Whizkid? You quickly can tell how moddable a weapon is.
As for thermies, you have to be a one big son of a bitch to tell wheter the thermie will explode.

Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

oohhboy

• Backer
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed items
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 06:07 »

The game is hard enough as it is without having to worry about broken weapons and items. Having to waste time identifying items would take away from the arcady experience. The RNG is pretty unfriendly as it is. If you can't even have your base weapons to perform as expected you would be making the game based way too far on the luck side of things oppose to the fairly skill based play now.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:22 »

Actually while I'm all for interesting additions, this idea is not to my liking -- it would provide more frustration than excitement.

However cursed items already ARE implemented, although up till now there's just one cursed item in the game :>.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:36 »

Actually while I'm all for interesting additions, this idea is not to my liking -- it would provide more frustration than excitement.

However cursed items already ARE implemented, although up till now there's just one cursed item in the game :>.
So I guess throwing out all your inventory is useless

... niczym bracia!

metroidRL

• Sergeant Major
  • Arch-vile major general
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 07:17 »

maybe angel of cursed items :p
[24]    [20]   [15]  [07]       [03]
Bronze Silver Gold  Platinum  Diamond
Assemblies: 31/40;  Uniques and Exotics: 56/60;  Medals: 26/42.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:26 »

maybe angel of cursed items :p

Well, not angel maybe. If a med-pack would contain THC, you would heal much more than a regular med-pack, but you wouldn't be able to shoot for some turns.
If  med-pack contained amfetamine, you wouldn't see your health bar, but you would 2x faster untile the effect wears off.

... niczym bracia!
Pages: [1]