Chaosforge Forum

• April 17, 2024, 18:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Simulation Terminals  (Read 7428 times)

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
Simulation Terminals
« on: June 07, 2009, 20:34 »

After reading the DeHackEd request (I kinda like it, BTW)  and the 'play DoomRL in DoomRL and break the fourth wall completely', I had a silly little idea that may actually mean something; simulation terminals!

Basically, these are & signs, which, when used, provide you with a choice of weapon, and and difficulty level to play in. The weapons are:
* A plasma rifle with infinite cells, overcharge disabled, and EE 2,
* a fastload double shotgun, Hellrunner 2, and infinite shells, or
* a chainsaw (4d10), and Brute 2.

You spawn in a Halls of Carnage-like zone minus the lava and soul spheres in plasma rifle challenges, Hell's Arena-esqe for shotgun and chainsaw.

The difficulties are:

Easy: You regenerate one HP every second, and:
*Plasma rifle: have to fend off human captains that have EE 1.
*Shotgun: have to take out a high amount of hell knights. It's easier than it sounds, trust me. :)
*Chainsaw: rip apart cacodemons. Fun, eh?

Medium: You regenerate two HP every second, and:
*Plasma rifle: have to mutilate former commandos with EE 1.
*Shotgun:  turn mancubi into pools of blood.
*Chainsaw: annihilate hell knights.

Hard: You regenerate three HP every second, and:
*Plasma rifle: Have to kill lots and lots of arachnotrons. Oh lawdy.
*Shotgun: Also arachnotrons. Have fun.
*Chainsaw: Barons of hell, and pain elementals. Good luck.

Blade: Same as hard, but you don't regenerate HP. Only do this if you like suicide.

You keep 33% of the XP you won in easy, 50% in medium, 75% in hard, and you keep it all in Blade.
There's no risk of death here, but time will pass as normal when you're playing the simulation. The game will alert you when enemies appear. You can pause by hitting the @ key.

So how are you going to flame me to death for this one? :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 20:37 by Generic »

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
Re: Simulation Terminals
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:57 »

Yea, it could be nice to keep experience from this! Good idea! :D But double shooty and mancubi.. oh mama
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:21 »

You can pause by hitting the @ key.
But it's turn based?! o.O

Otherwise, this sounds pretty fun but... I just think that if all these new requests like this would be implemented, there's hardly any DoomRL left.. You know what I mean right? =P
Perhaps keep the idea for when modding will be possible?
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:18 »

The experience gain would be too much, it's not Doomlike, etc etc etc.  This could be okay as a "training room" mode or scenario play or wizard mode or something for trying out different builds against different enemies, but it really has no place in the core game.

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:30 »

But double shooty and mancubi.. oh mama
It's not actually too hard. Just keep running, and the HR 2 will have you dodge most shots. You'll still get hit some, so you may need to take cover behind a pillar once or twice, but otherwise...

You can pause by hitting the @ key.
But it's turn based?! o.O
Yeah, maybe I shoulda explained that a little. By 'pausing', I mean breaking out of the simulation (most likely to kill the new threat that appeared).
Otherwise, this sounds pretty fun but... I just think that if all these new requests like this would be implemented, there's hardly any DoomRL left.. You know what I mean right? =P
Perhaps keep the idea for when modding will be possible?
How about 'no, I'm an impatient, whiny bastard who will hunt you down and whine until you're either deaf, or dead'?
Nah, just kidding... :P

The experience gain would be too much, it's not Doomlike, etc etc etc.  This could be okay as a "training room" mode or scenario play or wizard mode or something for trying out different builds against different enemies, but it really has no place in the core game.
Remember Super Turbo Turkey Puncher Three? This is kinda like that, except you get to choose a gun, and a difficulty, and you move around, and it's one-use (did I say that?). Oh, and you don't have vacation time docked for playing a stupid game all the time.
And before you ask about hell, demons need entertainment too, and what better way than to simulate the guy they're trying to kill and them have him murder every single member of the "Mancubi on Stilts" club? Remember, mancubi don't have hands, so they can't play.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 15:36 »

Super Turbo Donkey Puncher III was in Doom 3, which was a bad game, and it didn't give you experience at no cost.  Close thread please.

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 19:00 »

the terminals could spit out a stack or two of whichever ammo was used in the simulation you chose.

EDIT: but only once per terminal.

EDIT: and only if you win.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 19:02 by Visalos »
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 04:43 »

Doom 3, which was a bad game
What did you just say? That ain't true! =O
Sure, Doom 3 isn't as epic as Doom 1 but I still think it's a great game (Especially after midnight with the lights out, really big screen, and pumped up surround sound :p)

But well, anyway, since DoomRL is based on Doom 1 and 2 except for some minor things, I still think this shouldn't become an official feature. But it sure is good for modifications.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 06:46 »

How about simply adding an XP lever ?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:22 »

Lol!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 07:46 »

"You pull the lever. You suddenly feel more skilled cause you feel hard for managing to pull it!"

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 11:01 »

"You pull the lever. You suddenly feel more skilled cause you feel hard for managing to pull it!"
Laugh all you want but it still beats "You played a video game. Here - have samo ammo ^^ !" and "You play a game. Suddenly - you know how to kill demons better !" ;P.

An XP lever could work along the lines of "I know kung fu.", if you get the Matrix reference...
Whatever will be final - it should be fast and rewarding, so as not to slow the pace of the game down.

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 13:30 »

I would prefer something like 'Chant of Scholars' levers - when u pull a lever you will get 150% more XP from killing monsters for some peroid of time.. maybe it could be something like 'You pull a lever.. but wait what's this? You see a picture of naked cyberdemon dancing on a pole! You fell so good that you feel like you could pwn @LL HELL oh yeah Phobos Experienced!'.. or a lever that adds +1 dmg for some time? 'you feel that your damage is increased by 1 point ha ha'
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 13:53 »

I would prefer something like 'Chant of Scholars' levers - when u pull a lever you will get 150% more XP from killing monsters for some peroid of time.. maybe it could be something like 'You pull a lever.. but wait what's this? You see a picture of naked cyberdemon dancing on a pole! You fell so good that you feel like you could pwn @LL HELL oh yeah Phobos Experienced!'.. or a lever that adds +1 dmg for some time? 'you feel that your damage is increased by 1 point ha ha'
OMG... We could make something akin to shrines from Diablo... Temporary_armour_bonus levers, temporary_to_hit_bonus levers, temporary_damage_bonus levers... Damn - I'll elaborate on that once I have the time, but this is... inspiring.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 18:14 »

OMG... We could make something akin to shrines from Diablo... Temporary_armour_bonus levers, temporary_to_hit_bonus levers, temporary_damage_bonus levers... Damn - I'll elaborate on that once I have the time, but this is... inspiring.

That's gross.  Kornel, please don't do this.  Lever suck hard as it is with floor damage so out of control - don't throw in a bunch of goofy Diablo shrines.
Pages: [1] 2  All